Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherlockfan)
    I think any girl would be slightly paranoid when approached by a stranger in a public area (unless they are actually on the pull) and it's not my fault or the fault of any other women that society is built in that way.
    A stranger initiating a conversation with me doesn't bother me at all! And I'm certainly not on the pull.

ReputationRep:
    I completely understand where you are coming from, If you see someone who is blatently having some alone time its quite rude to go up and try to get into a conversation, Why do people think that they have a wright to our time and we should be flattered by it No its annoying and weard. I stopped going to the library because I got so sick of random men coming up trying to talk to me. You answered his question and that should have been it I hate that sort of thing its so uncomfortable and for all the people who are being nasty are the kind of people whi if you had spoken to him out of politeness than he attacked you would be like its her fault for flirting with she should not have got into a conversation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sinfonietta)
    A stranger initiating a conversation with me doesn't bother me at all! And I'm certainly not on the pull.
    I met my ex at the library, and she hit on me! What a creep eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    Let's get real, there was only one issue here, and it wasn't anything to do with the library.

You didn't fancy the dude; ergo he's creepy and desperate.

If it had been Benedict coming up to you in the library, presumably it would be a whirlwind of romance, and just the thing you'd expect from a sensitive, intellectual man- rather than the tacky experience of a horrid club or bar.
    my g, couldnt put it better myself, it it was a hot guy she woudlnt be talking crud talking about creepy, shut up girl ur just an attention seeker , do 1

ReputationRep:
    you say i'm autistic like that's some sort of an insult. like I said before, that's in very poor taste and just shows the sort of person you are.

I did get the sarcasm, I tried to ignore it so he would realize the futility of his post.
    however the man may well have been. whose to say he is interested in potter books. ive a son and a daughter that are autistic. what you class as creepy could easily be that mans way of trying to overcome his problem. after all a short fat ugly woman would seem a safe bet to talk to.

ReputationRep:
    not trying to be rude but youre not that bright

ReputationRep:
    I am curious as to why so many people are using this thread to offer either a supposedly helpful suggestion on the situation or insightful comment on the personalities of others and then wrapping them up, or ending them, with some inane and pretty cruel insults.

Just wondering what people are getting out of this...

ReputationRep:
    oh go and get that ship off your shoulder, it's pathetic.

I didn't want to be approached by anyone I just wanted to be left alone. Can you fathom that?
    How was he supposed to know that lol? Don't see how that's creepy that's all im saying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OneandOnly123)
    my g, couldnt put it better myself, it it was a hot guy she woudlnt be talking crud talking about creepy, shut up girl ur just an attention seeker , do 1
    Do one yourself, I'm celibate and therefore not interested in anyone's attentions, hot or otherwise, and you don't have insight into my mind that would allow you to argue against that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azizadil1998)
    How was he supposed to know that lol? Don't see how that's creepy that's all im saying
    Because as a general rule that's what you assume with total strangers unless they indicate otherwise, and I was on my own in a library reading a book. I wouldn't have minded if he just literally wanted to know what time the library closes but he obviously wanted more than that.

ReputationRep:
    I've given you some advice on the previous page.

Why not ignore the people who are only here for an argument and see if there is anything there that's helpful for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paulbarlow)
    however the man may well have been. whose to say he is interested in potter books. ive a son and a daughter that are autistic. what you class as creepy could easily be that mans way of trying to overcome his problem. after all a short fat ugly woman would seem a safe bet to talk to.
    I actually wondered that myself reading the OP. It seems more likely than thinking he was approaching her with other intentions. Or, y'know, he could have just been lonely regardless.

I don't know what the OP looks like so this isn't a dig at her; but when I had issues with anxiety in my teens I'd purposely approach the most nerdy or socially awkward looking people to try initiate conversation with. They seemed less intimidating.

ReputationRep:
    While I was working today some girl just assaulted me, she sat down next to me and asked me what I was learning about Rome. I told her I was researching rome around 60 ad but she continued to abuse me by having a conversation with me. It's so strange it's like living in a world with other functional human beings with some social skills.

ReputationRep:
    So I went to the library today just to pass the time and I was sitting there reading, minding my own business when this dodgy looking man comes up to me and asks if i know what time the library closes. I thought he genuinely wanted to know so I told him it closes at eight. But then he asks me if the book im reading is any good (Harry potter and the cursed child). Not wishing to engage in further conversation, i tell him yes and return to by book. Then he asks if the other harry potter books are good, and I say yes they are, trying to make myself quite clear that I wish to be alone, at which point he goes away.
    I'm just surprised and slightly disturbed at the desperate measures guys will resort to with complete strangers just to get the attention of someone from the opposite sex. I'm not even remotely attractive, and if this happens again I intend to make myself quite clear and say that I just wish to read my book in peace.
    It was just a bit pathetic and creepy really and it ruined my inner peace just a little bit. Not a lot, just a bit. I shouldnt have to endure that. And in a library too, of all places.
    Sherlock and Harry Potter fan :love::jumphug:

Yeh... I get that it can be really hard for guys. And I feel sorry for that guy. But I would also have felt creeped out by that behaviour. Honestly, I think most women would. We are physically weaker, and probably evolutionarily programmed to be wary of advances from unknown men.

ReputationRep:
    Ill be honest here. Fair enough you feel disturbed, i don't blame you.
    But he wasn't asking anything especially creepy like "what bra size are you" and all that wierd stuff and he did stop after that so it's not too bad really. he doesn't do it often i presume?

ReputationRep:
    I shouldnt have to endure that.
    Omg somebody tried to talk to you when you weren't in the mood for conversation, how traumatising. Hope you feel better soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    We are physically weaker, and probably evolutionarily programmed to be wary of advances from unknown men. *Excluding really hot dudes with a muscular prowess*
    Fixed that for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 152mmOfDerp)
    Fixed that for you
    Nope, you didn't. That's another TSR urban myth. I can't stand alpha males, and I hate too much muscle and supposed "prowess".

ReputationRep:
    The only problem here is that you thought The Cursed Child was a good book

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Nope, you didn't. That's another TSR urban myth. I can't stand alpha males, and I hate too much muscle and supposed "prowess".
    why are all your posts blue

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.