The Student Room Group

Should I enter the ballot for next year's London Marathon?

I am debating whether to put my name forward in the ballot for next year's London Marathon. I am quite a good runner I have done numerous 10K's and this year I did my first ever half marathon in 1 hour 35 minutes so I'm thinking about just taking the plunge and signing up and doing it now whilst I'm still young and fit.

Has anyone here ever run the London Marathon or any marathon and if so how difficult was it?
Original post by MikePL
I am debating whether to put my name forward in the ballot for next year's London Marathon. I am quite a good runner I have done numerous 10K's and this year I did my first ever half marathon in 1 hour 35 minutes so I'm thinking about just taking the plunge and signing up and doing it now whilst I'm still young and fit.

Has anyone here ever run the London Marathon or any marathon and if so how difficult was it?

I was advised to do several half marathons before attempting a full marathon. The main problem for me was the congestion. It also got boring part way through. And then there was the long walk back to Charing Cross. It, on a normal day is meant to be 12 minutes. After running a marathon, (which took me 7 hours due to knee issues part way through) it seems like forever.

It's not "hard" in the sense of being of hilly, etc. It's a bloody long way and I got bored after a while. I am hoping the Dublin Marathon is slightly more interesting.

The winter training is boring as well. I hated it.
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
I was advised to do several half marathons before attempting a full marathon. The main problem for me was the congestion. It also got boring part way through. And then there was the long walk back to Charing Cross. It, on a normal day is meant to be 12 minutes. After running a marathon, (which took me 7 hours due to knee issues part way through) it seems like forever.

It's not "hard" in the sense of being of hilly, etc. It's a bloody long way and I got bored after a while. I am hoping the Dublin Marathon is slightly more interesting.

The winter training is boring as well. I hated it.

The half marathon that I did was incredibly hilly, a few people I spoke to who have done half and full marathons said it was the toughest one they've ever done so if London is flat that's ok for me I'll just have to step up my training.
You've got a year to do it, that's tonnes of time to train. Run a few half marathons in that time to get used to running in big groups of people and some park run style stuff. Get a decent training programme and you'll do great.
You may as well enter the ballot as the odds are not great. There are about 17,000 ballot places and last year 250,000 applicants for those places. If you are successful you can defer your place once if you wish. So the places are like gold dust.

Alternatively, if you can run sub 3:05 by this summer you can get a place on good for age.

Finally, and this is not realistic advice for next year, but if you are a member of a club and run sub 1:15 for a half you can get a championship place and enter relatively late in the game (the January before the race). 1:15 takes serious dedication and training - but if you ran 1:35 in your first ever half you could get there with a few years' work.
Reply 5
Original post by Angry cucumber
You've got a year to do it, that's tonnes of time to train. Run a few half marathons in that time to get used to running in big groups of people and some park run style stuff. Get a decent training programme and you'll do great.

I am already used to running in big groups because I've already done one half marathon and I've done loads of 10K's and I've got another 3 planned for the rest of the year so far. I might just take the plunge and do it.

Quick Reply

Latest