The Student Room Group

I've been targeted as a potential husband in an 'arranged marriage' - what do I do?

I'm a white bisexual single English guy of no religious belief/faith...

The parents/family of a girl have seemingly identified me as a suitable candidate to marry her...

I don't know what she looks like but that matters not, I'm not interested...

This has been ongoing for a few weeks and I am feeling very pressured/harassed by emails/texts/phone calls which I am now not answering...

I don't wish to be disrespectful in any way but I am getting really p*ssed off/annoyed by it now - has anyone been in a similar situation and able to give me any advice or insight into how best to deal with this?

Scroll to see replies

troll
Reply 2
Original post by king98034
troll

Rude.
bait
Reply 4
Reply 5
Original post by Drez999

The parents/family of a girl have seemingly identified me as a suitable candidate to marry her...

This has been ongoing for a few weeks and I am feeling very pressured/harassed by emails/texts/phone calls which I am now not answering...

I don't wish to be disrespectful in any way but I am getting really p*ssed off/annoyed by it now - has anyone been in a similar situation and able to give me any advice or insight into how best to deal with this?

what if she peng doe?

at least have a butchers at the girl first...
and if she 8+ perhaps ask if you can meet her to see how well you get on.

people hate on arranged marriage culture, but it's got a MUCH higher success rate than western marriage.
Why would you be targeted for an arranged marriage? You come from a community where this is practiced?
You have to make yourself clear and say no.
Original post by ANM775
what if she peng doe?

people hate on arranged marriage culture, but it's got a MUCH higher success rate than western marriage.

The "much higher success rate" is an illusion at best touted by people insistent on proving backwards cultural practices are not backwards. Cultures/demographics where arranged marriage is practiced typically regard divorce as taboo. Thus people are forced to stay in terrible marriages often involving emotional or even physical abuse.
Reply 9
Original post by ANM775

Lol. Even if that were true, it'd be because those in an arranged marriage would fear for their life if they even expressed a wish a divorce.

What a great state of affairs.
Reply 10
Original post by ANM775
what if she peng doe?

Thanks for your input - I think :frown:

Original post by 999tigger
Why would you be targeted for an arranged marriage? You come from a community where this is practiced?

IDK/No:frown:

Thanks, I did today - told a 'white' lie - that I had now got a bf - think that's worked :smile:
Reply 11
This is not even an arranged marriage though. You are clearly not interested from start.
Reply 12
Original post by h333
This is not even an arranged marriage though. You are clearly not interested from start.

No, of course I was not interested!
Your explanation just sounds weird and unconvincing.
Reply 14
Original post by Drez999
No, of course I was not interested!

So yh if you don't even want to get married or interested then this can't be called an arranged marriage lol
Just make it clear to them. I don't understand why they will be still after you, if you clearly tell them stop.
Reply 15
Original post by 999tigger
Your explanation just sounds weird and unconvincing.

Well it is what it is...

I am not here to convince you or anyone else of anything...

But thanks for your input :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by h333
So yh if you don't even want to get married or interested then this can't be called an arranged marriage lol
Just make it clear to them. I don't understand why they will be still after you, if you clearly tell them stop.

If you scroll up you will see it's dealt with now.

Have a good evening.
Original post by Drez999

Just politely say no. & then block their emails.

I had something similar before I went to uni. I was helping out this family and they decided somehow I'm marriage material for one of their relatives, for materialistic reasons, i think - because I've got good grades with an unconditional offer and very likely to end up in a good job etc.

I said no. Reasons - I don't want to marry anyone right row, I won't convert to religion, I don't agree with arranged marriages, and my parents won't allow it. They respected the last reason (my folks), as in their culture parents are important.
Reply 18
Come live with me, It's okay I'll protect u from the bad bad people :wink:
Reply 19
Original post by ThePricklyOne
Just politely say no. & then block their emails.

I had something similar before I went to uni. I was helping out this family and they decided somehow I'm marriage material for one of their relatives, for materialistic reasons, i think - because I've got good grades with an unconditional offer and very likely to end up in a good job etc.

I said no. Reasons - I don't want to marry anyone right row, I won't convert to religion, I don't agree with arranged marriages, and my parents won't allow it. They respected the last reason (my folks), as in their culture parents are important.

Original post by 69XD
Come live with me, It's okay I'll protect u from the bad bad people :wink:

It's all cool now...

Thanks...:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending