The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QE2
Ok, so it is not permitted for Muslim men to attempt to convert individual women, but they can stand in the middle of a square and tell people in general they should convert.

I couldn't be too sure about that.
But I would never let a male mahraam approach women individually because of the risk of fitna nowadays. I wouldn't be too sure about what's actually advised in regards to that matter but it's really not common to be approached by religious people or even street dawah- I've never seen that in reality.
from a non-religious point of view, I'd think about whether you'd be comfortable going there if you weren't given an invitation by some non-Muslims.
Like, would the thought of going to the pub have crossed your mind at all?
If it's not something you're comfortable with, it's totally okay to skip out on it and suggest somewhere else instead. You deserve to be meeting up with colleagues somewhere you feel safe and comfortable.
Tolerance and acceptance is a two-way thing, and because we live in a christian/atheist majority country (in Britain), a lot of people unfairly demand Muslims [and other religious minorities] to compromise and change aspects of themselves in order to fit in whilst never doing it themselves. That shouldn't be the case and you should demand to have that basic level of respect.

But if you honestly don't care what other people do, than that's great too. How you practise and display your faith is completely up to you as it's your own interpretation, and no one else can decide what you can and can't do. If you want to go to pub to meet new people, go for it. Whether you drink or not is up to you.

A lot of the posts here are saying 'this is so sad to see you do this'
Like ?????????? This honestly pees me off.
I mean, first of all, who are you to pass judgements on someone else's actions. You might think you're doing the good thing and giving them advice, but at the end of the day, you've got no place passing judgement and acting as if you're the higher authority on God. [Using God here as universal term for all belief systems ].
Half of these comments aren't even advice, it's just thinly veiled shaming posed as religious nobility or whatever. You gotta let people make their own decisions and find out what they are comfortable when it come their own faith.
The only good bit of ACTUAL ADVICE i've seen on here is 'if they're not respecting your wishes in making other alternatives available, get a better set of friends'

rant over
Reply 62
Original post by -Quava-
I understand what you're saying but come one there's context behind my personal shots. A few weeks ago he was comparing these debates to a "race" so it is not even about sharing knowledge. It's literally all to make other people look hypocritical or stupid which like I said, is really sad.
I totally understand and I do agree that some sick poeple will use religion to dominate and control. Totally with that. In fact I know some personally that do. :colonhash:

Of course it's about sharing knowledge and encouraging people to think rationally and independently. If people feel hypocritical or stupid afterwards, that is not the problem of the person informing them. Adversarial debate is just a part of that. Both sides want to feel that their argument has been vindicated, so don't pretend that you are somehow above it all.
Reply 63
Original post by -Quava-
I couldn't be too sure about that.
But I would never let a male mahraam approach women individually because of the risk of fitna nowadays. I wouldn't be too sure about what's actually advised in regards to that matter but it's really not common to be approached by religious people or even street dawah- I've never seen that in reality.

Muhammad preached Islam and attacked disbelief in public sermons. Therefore it cannot be prohibited.
If you claim that Muslim men cannot talk to women, or women talk to anyone in the public sphere, or that Muslims cannot attend public functions with friends or colleagues if there is alcohol present, that is merely admitting problems with Islamic dogma.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by Anonymous
The only good bit of ACTUAL ADVICE i've seen on here is 'if they're not respecting your wishes in making other alternatives available, get a better set of friends'

So likewise you would advise a person who refuses to compromise in order to accommodate the wishes of others, should be discarded as a friend?
That seems a bit intolerant.
Surely if 10 people are going to lunch and 9 want to go to place A and 1 wants to go to place B, the onus to compromise is on the one, not the nine. The person who demands that everyone sacrifice to accommodate their personal preference is selfish, and doesn't really understand what friendship involves. The others are better off without them.
It's quite sad to see our fellow Muslims falling for such traps and compromising on the deen.

The ummah is falling apart. Yawm al-Qiyāmah is near
Original post by StudentIZ
Hi, I’m a hijabi and my classmates are planning to meet up at a pub and I’m the only muslim/hijabi in my class and I’m afraid if I don’t go that I’ll be forever alienated from these groups.I can resist alcohol, it doesn’t tempt me anyway and I really want to go just so that we get to know each other well and they don’t avoid me because I’m backward or whatever 🙃All I want to know is, since it’s a pub and it’s in the evening, I don’t know what to do about hijab.I don’t want to attract attention by being the only hijabi in a pub, it’s bad as well as bringing down the image of Muslim women No one is going to know if I’m drinking or no.I know I shouldn’t be going in the first place but I don’t want to say no to the first meeting.After a few of probably stop. But can someone pls tell me how should I go? With hijab seems so bad and I’ve never really gone out without hijab before, I mean I’ve atleast worn a beanie but never without anything. I’m nervous, could someone pls help me out

Don't you have Muslim friends or something?. You shouldn't even be going to a pub in the first place. Don't go, your friends should understand and respect that. May Allah guide you on the righteous path

your a bit daft, it could happen at any time.

When Allah says that it is close it could mean in another 100 or 1000 or 10,000 or even 100,000 years. Allah is beyond time, he has been throughout the entire 13.8 billion years of this universe, and even before it. close could be in another billion years or even tomorrow.

people throughout time have said that it's falling apart, you saying it won't make much of a difference.

When Allah says that it is close it could mean in another 100 or 1000 or 10,000 or even 100,000 years. Allah is beyond time, he has been throughout the entire 13.8 billion years of this universe, and even before it. close could be in another billion years or even tomorrow.

people throughout time have said that it's falling apart, you saying it won't make much of a difference.

But its's really close though there are so many signs
But its's really close though there are so many signs

there were also so many signs back when Genghis Khan slaughtered 40,000,000 people including an incredible number of Muslims.
there were also so many signs back when Genghis Khan slaughtered 40,000,000 people including an incredible number of Muslims.

I'm not sure what that is but Yawm al-Qiyāmah is near because Muslims are making halal things haram

I'm not sure what that is but Yawm al-Qiyāmah is near because Muslims are making haram things halal
Reply 72

Do you have a specific date in mind. I just want to make sure I have a good night's sleep so I'll be fresh for all that gloating I'm going to have to do the following day.
Reply 73

If Allah is talking to humans, he will obviously be using a context of time familiar to humans. It would be meaningless otherwise. Therefore when Allah says that an event is "close", it means that it cannot be more than a decade or so - a lifetime at most.

First sentence is true, second one isn’t.
Original post by QE2
Do you have a specific date in mind. I just want to make sure I have a good night's sleep so I'll be fresh for all that gloating I'm going to have to do the following day.

No sorry
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
First sentence is true, second one isn’t.

Second sentence is true. Muslims are making haram things halal nowadays. This generation of Muslims are lost there is no hope
Second sentence is true. Muslims are making haram things halal nowadays. This generation of Muslims are lost there is no hope

Not true. No such thing as the Day of Judgement lmao. Loads of civilisations said the Earth was going to end on a particular day and they were all wrong. Muslims have been sinning and doing forbidden things since day 1.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Not true. No such thing as the Day of Judgement lmao. Loads of civilisations said the Earth was going to end on a particular day and they were all wrong. Muslims have been sinning and doing forbidden things since day 1.

Maybe this prediction will not be wrong and yes Muslims have been sinning but lately they are making all the forbidden things halal. Its crazy
Maybe this prediction will not be wrong and yes Muslims have been sinning but lately they are making all the forbidden things halal. Its crazy

Of course it'll be wrong. You can't even give an exact time the world will supposedly end, meaning you don't really have a clue and are speculating. In fact, your own religion states that near end times most of Islam will be forgotten and that women will outnumber men 50:1 or something, things which are clearly nowhere near close to occurring.

Latest

Trending

Trending