The Student Room Group

Don't want my friend going the same uni as me

I have a friend from college, whom I wanted to leave in my past. She is judgemental, condemns my appearance and my interests, makes jokes about me not having sex life. Talks with my classmates about me behind my back. She is studying Math and I do History, so she always compares our subjects by saying how hard is Math and how she should have done well, if she was doing History like me. We are both international students and when we just arrived in the UK she was always talking about how she will be going to Oxford after her A-levels, because she feels like this is the only suitable university for her, as she likes this feeling when everybody is dressed in academic gown and lectures take place in ancient buildings. She did not research any other universities until her first year came to an end and our college stated very clearly, that she cannot apply to Oxford as they can't predict her AAA.

On the other hand I was doing one year course and I'm starting Uni at September. I did huge research, visited nearly 10 universities during this year and chose one that suited me best. It is not a Russel Group Uni, but it's in top 25 in the UK and it has interesting modules, internship opportunities, social life, etc. When I showed this uni to my friend for the first time and said, that I will be going there in September, she said that she never heard of it and this must be my level uni, but she would have never chose place like this. However, now she changed her mind. She likes BBB requirements there for her course and modules are now seem interesting to her. She said she is going to visit this uni as soon as possible and then she is going to firm it as her first choice next year.

The problem is, I don't want her to go there. I now regret that I showed it to her and I feel like this is my new life where I don't want to see her. I know, that uni is big and I might not see you over the course time. But even though, it feels for me like she is going to invade my personal space.
I'm trying to show her more universities and degrees there, but she stuck with my uni and I now that if she will go there on the Open Day, she will be even more confident in her choice.

Please, don't say it's morally wrong to count uni as "personal space". I know, it is illogical. I can't help but feel this way. What can I do now to make her change her mind?

Sorry for my grammar errors. As I said, I am an international student still learning English.
Swap out all of her pens for ones that don't work before the exam so they fail all of their exams. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I have a friend from college, whom I wanted to leave in my past. She is judgemental, condemns my appearance and my interests, makes jokes about me not having sex life. Talks with my classmates about me behind my back. She is studying Math and I do History, so she always compares our subjects by saying how hard is Math and how she should have done well, if she was doing History like me. We are both international students and when we just arrived in the UK she was always talking about how she will be going to Oxford after her A-levels, because she feels like this is the only suitable university for her, as she likes this feeling when everybody is dressed in academic gown and lectures take place in ancient buildings. She did not research any other universities until her first year came to an end and our college stated very clearly, that she cannot apply to Oxford as they can't predict her AAA.

On the other hand I was doing one year course and I'm starting Uni at September. I did huge research, visited nearly 10 universities during this year and chose one that suited me best. It is not a Russel Group Uni, but it's in top 25 in the UK and it has interesting modules, internship opportunities, social life, etc. When I showed this uni to my friend for the first time and said, that I will be going there in September, she said that she never heard of it and this must be my level uni, but she would have never chose place like this. However, now she changed her mind. She likes BBB requirements there for her course and modules are now seem interesting to her. She said she is going to visit this uni as soon as possible and then she is going to firm it as her first choice next year.

The problem is, I don't want her to go there. I now regret that I showed it to her and I feel like this is my new life where I don't want to see her. I know, that uni is big and I might not see you over the course time. But even though, it feels for me like she is going to invade my personal space.
I'm trying to show her more universities and degrees there, but she stuck with my uni and I now that if she will go there on the Open Day, she will be even more confident in her choice.

Please, don't say it's morally wrong to count uni as "personal space". I know, it is illogical. I can't help but feel this way. What can I do now to make her change her mind?

Sorry for my grammar errors. As I said, I am an international student still learning English.

A bit late now as you showed her.
Option
1. Get on with it as Unis are large places and she has chosen or been accepted yet. You could always tell her or drop her when at Uni. They are big places. She will be expecting to keep contact., but uns are large places and theres no reason you have to see her.
2. Find a new Uni.

She hasnt chosen it yet.
You could try explaining to her that you wanted to go to separate unis and that it was originally your choice of university. Some people don't like to be accused of copying. She needs to be independent in her own choices. As said in earlier comments universities are big places, friendship groups are different and your uni choices aren't set in stone at the moment. You will just have to hope things work out for the best, I hope for your sake you leave her in your past she sounds like a vindictive little sh*t. I can only suggest that you fall out with her before uni if you are going to the same one. I know it doesn't seem nice to do so, but it's honestly better to tell someone what you really think of them. No point in being friends with someone that makes you feel bad! Id rather have no friends than have that kind of friendship.
Reply 4
Original post by AmazingBeard
Swap out all of her pens for ones that don't work before the exam so they fail all of their exams. :smile:

That will be too mean:giggle:

Original post by 999tigger
A bit late now as you showed her.
Option
1. Get on with it as Unis are large places and she has chosen or been accepted yet. You could always tell her or drop her when at Uni. They are big places. She will be expecting to keep contact., but uns are large places and theres no reason you have to see her.
2. Find a new Uni.

She hasnt chosen it yet.

I know that getting on with it is my main option here. And I'm really trying to. At least I will have one year before she comes to establish my own life there and surround myself with lovely and understandable people. I'm just asking, maybe somebody will give me any good idea that i did not think about.
Reply 5

Tell her that you don't want to be her friend. Maybe add in because she's a judgmental, mean person. I do history too, I know your pain. Its a very hard subject indeed. Also, grades do not define intelligence. They define your capability to regurgitate facts in a exam. You can't stop her from going to the university. You can discourage her by saying that you don't want to be her friend. Say she isn't your friend. It might be hard, but it'll be done. It also practical.
Reply 6
I have a friend from college, whom I wanted to leave in my past. She is judgemental, condemns my appearance and my interests, makes jokes about me not having sex life. Talks with my classmates about me behind my back..

Its amazing you can still call her your 'friend'!

thats not a friend, a true friend doesn't do that. shes just a b itch
University is a big place and it's really not hard to ditch people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Cecelia Tallice
You could try explaining to her that you wanted to go to separate unis and that it was originally your choice of university. Some people don't like to be accused of copying. She needs to be independent in her own choices. As said in earlier comments universities are big places, friendship groups are different and your uni choices aren't set in stone at the moment. You will just have to hope things work out for the best, I hope for your sake you leave her in your past she sounds like a vindictive little sh*t. I can only suggest that you fall out with her before uni if you are going to the same one. I know it doesn't seem nice to do so, but it's honestly better to tell someone what you really think of them. No point in being friends with someone that makes you feel bad! Id rather have no friends than have that kind of friendship.

I cannot say to her that I don't want her copying me, as this will sound childish. She will say that this is her own choice and she will be kind of right, as who am I to stop her from going to uni she want to go?

Original post by Djerun
Tell her that you don't want to be her friend. Maybe add in because she's a judgmental, mean person. I do history too, I know your pain. Its a very hard subject indeed. Also, grades do not define intelligence. They define your capability to regurgitate facts in a exam. You can't stop her from going to the university. You can discourage her by saying that you don't want to be her friend. Say she isn't your friend. It might be hard, but it'll be done. It also practical.

Original post by Allie4
Its amazing you can still call her your 'friend'!

thats not a friend, a true friend doesn't do that. shes just a b itch

Well, this is where the situation gets more difficult. I just called her friend in my first post, because it is hard to describe our relationship. She does not consider me as a friend, she likes to say that she is a loner and she is always on her own. And she tries to be cold with me, as she says, she does not let people become closer to her. But somehow, she is always finds me, sits with me in canteen and library, asks me how am I doing, gives her feedback on what am I doing wrong and when I ask about her she says that she don't want to talk about her problems with me. This is quiet weird type of relationship, because I just cannot stare in the wall and ignore her, when she talks to me.

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
You really needn't worry. First of all, there's no guarantee she'll even get the grades to get a place there.

The uni has a reputation to be very lenient. I checked Unistats and it feels like they even let people with CCC on her course. So even if she fails, they are likely to accept her anyway.

Thank you very much for all of your responds! You are all very-very supportive!
I cannot say to her that I don't want her copying me, as this will sound childish. She will say that this is her own choice and she will be kind of right, as who am I to stop her from going to uni she want to go?

Well, this is where the situation gets more difficult. I just called her friend in my first post, because it is hard to describe our relationship. She does not consider me as a friend, she likes to say that she is a loner and she is always on her own. And she tries to be cold with me, as she says, she does not let people become closer to her. But somehow, she is always finds me, sits with me in canteen and library, asks me how am I doing, gives her feedback on what am I doing wrong and when I ask about her she says that she don't want to talk about her problems with me. This is quiet weird type of relationship, because I just cannot stare in the wall and ignore her, when she talks to me.

The uni has a reputation to be very lenient. I checked Unistats and it feels like they even let people with CCC on her course. So even if she fails, they are likely to accept her anyway.

Thank you very much for all of your responds! You are all very-very supportive!

What happened in the end? Cos im in a similar situation (my friend wants to do the exact same subject as me at uni so if we go to the same uni theres no hope of me being able to find new friends) but im still in year 12 so im considering trying to find a different uni... the original uni is the perfect one so is it worth comprimising for a similar course just to go to a uni without them?
What happened in the end? Cos im in a similar situation (my friend wants to do the exact same subject as me at uni so if we go to the same uni theres no hope of me being able to find new friends) but im still in year 12 so im considering trying to find a different uni... the original uni is the perfect one so is it worth comprimising for a similar course just to go to a uni without them?

The story ended well. In her second year of college she became more hard working and currently has A*A*A as her predicted grades. With these grades she firmed another high-ranked uni as her first choice.

I went to uni I wanted to go, started my new life and absolutely happy here. Since I have new friends now and it looks like she found good friends in college, our relationship started to wane. We had only one conversation since September and I doubt we will ever meet again.

However, I cannot say that everything would have ended that well if we were in the same uni. I can remember in this thread people were saying that university is such a huge place and there is no possibility of us meeting during the term time. However, even living not the most sociable life at this uni I find that everyone knows one another. My campus has 20 000 people and when I meet someone new on campus and add them on Facebook I see that this new person is also a housemate of my best friend, ex-lover of a girl in my seminar group, was on a committee of a society I'm in and works in the cafe in like to breakfast in. It feels like we are all in the web no matter what subject/societies/halls of residence we're in.

But I don't want to put you off the uni you have chosen. I cannot imagine myself going somewhere else now, so if you're sure about your choice - stick to it. There's always an option that your friend will find new friends and you will also meet many new people, so although your paths may cross many times and you will see each other during lectures, still, you may not save your friendship. Although if in college it may seem impossible, I have personally seen many close friendships break up when people are going to uni.

Good luck making your choice! I hope everything goes well
I know I'm a bit late, but if anyone's reading this, you say you have a year before she goes there right? I would say if you are at uni for that year anyway, completely block her on everything, social media and phone number, tell her the friendship is over then block her. In the short term this might seem rude but it's your life and if you don't want her as a friend you are going to end the friendship eventually so why not now. Alternatively if this is not possible, I would pretend you are having a bad time when you are there and tell her all the bad stuff about your uni to try and put her off going there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending