The Student Room Group

My teacher prevented me from getting into uni

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Desmos
Is this the only way to provide a reference?

You have one referee, it's up to them (or your school's policy) as to how they prepare their reference. The above is the usual way.

Why do you ask?
Reply 81
Original post by hilla_s
My teacher wrote things such as 'she has no motivation' and 'needs another year before going to university' on my reference, therefore they did not accept me. How is that legal?
PS don't worry me and my mum r going to the head of the school tomorrow.

My personal opinion is that if they've given you a bad reference then there is probably a reason for it, justified or unjustified. I don't know the whole story so I can't comment on the situation you're in.

Now just to clarify, I'm no expert on references from academic sources such as teachers or tutors. However, I do know that workers rights are protected from bad references from employers, see the following link for more information https://www.gov.uk/work-reference. It doesn't stop them from refusing to give you a reference though.

I don't think there are any rules that force teachers to give good references. I imagine there are probably performance indicators in place so that teachers are more likely to give positive references. Unfortunately, this is likely dealt with on a case-by-case basis by individual Schools.

Probably be best to seek legal advice if you don't get anywhere with the School.

I hope I helped.

Jamawi.
Reply 82
Original post by Doonesbury
Why do you ask?

Someone above said that you could also have references from your subject teachers as well as the main reference from the referee, so I just wanted to know if that usually happens or not.

Mainly because if it did, then OP would have had to get three bad references as opposed to just one.

But even if there was just once reference collated from the other ones, surely the teacher would've seen proof that OP is suitable for uni in the references provided by their colleagues?

Something is definitely amiss about this whole situation.
Reply 83
Original post by Desmos
Someone above said that you could also have references from your subject teachers as well as the main reference from the referee, so I just wanted to know if that usually happens or not.

Mainly because if it did, then OP would have had to get three bad references as opposed to just one.

But even if there was just once reference collated from the other ones, surely the teacher would've seen proof that OP is suitable for uni in the references provided by their colleagues?

Something is definitely amiss about this whole situation.

There's fundamentally one referee and one reference. *If* the teacher with ultimate responsibility for the reference decides to include additional information about the pupil that's entirely up to them, although if it was false or misleading it would be unprofessional and may ultimately have repercussions on the referee.

it's generally in a school's interest to provide a good or at least "neutral" reference so the pupil gets a place and the schools educational outcome stats look good too.

This is all supposition and without further info from the OP we really don't have much to go on.
Reply 84
Original post by Meany Pie
So what was the outcome?

The outcome so far is that me and my mum went to see the head of school and he said he'd get that teacher to amend his statement. Hopefully I'll get in now😁 I'm happy.
Original post by hilla_s
The outcome so far is that me and my mum went to see the head of school and he said he'd get that teacher to amend his statement. Hopefully I'll get in now😁 I'm happy.

Any reasoning for making the statements he did?
Reply 86
Original post by hilla_s

Ok thanks for updating the thread. I fear it raises more questions than answers but hey ho...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
Unfortunately the OP seems to have gone quiet so we may never get to the bottom of it. I suspect there's more to it than first appears...

I'm here, sorry there r just so many replies
😅
Reply 88
Original post by hilla_s
I'm here, sorry there r just so many replies
😅

Your thread was featured on TSR's "Today on TSR" panel so it go a *lot* of interest :smile:

If you have time it would be very helpful if you replied to a few of the questions raised in the thread.

And good luck with your new reference. :smile:

(You will need to urgently contact any universities about it directly, as well as getting UCAS updated.)
Reply 89
Original post by Meany Pie
Any reasoning for making the statements he did?

I didn't even care to ask, look, everyone knows that's he's wrong, and to top that I defended myself with the fact that my parents got separated at the start of sixth form and that got me depressed (which he didn't know)
Reply 90
Your thread was featured on TSR's "Today on TSR" panel so it go a *lot* of interest :smile:

If you have time it would be very helpful if you replied to a few of the questions raised in the thread.

And good luck with your new reference. :smile:

(You will need to urgently contact any universities about it directly, as well as getting UCAS updated.)

Wow that's so weird. It was just a ranty question 😅 maybe the title was too much? 😂. Yea sorry lol I'm just busy this week coz I'm rehearsing for 'Rent' the musical. That's more evidence btw. Normal kids when they finish their exams do nothing but laze around and party, but because I have MOTIVATION I throwed myself into another musical. Btw this is about drama a level and acting at university.
Original post by maxafin
You should see if you can get a hold of the reference. Legally they can't say anything negative like that in a reference. If they don't think you should get the place/job they are able to withhold a reference which is the equivalent to a bad reference

a reference can be extremely negative as long as it can be evidenced.

so if someone has a poor attendance record, poor completion of work , displays immature responses to reasonabel responses from staff ...
Original post by PQ
UCAS have all applications back to at least 2005 available to universities - they may have older records archived.

What does it mean for the records to be archived?
Original post by Blackstarr
What does it mean for the records to be archived?

It means they might have them available within their offices - universities can only access applications back to 2005 on UCAS's electronic systems (or earlier ones that they store on their own systems/files).
My friend had this done to her as well a couple of years ago, it basically said that she was illiterate and her form tutors had to redo that reference or just scrap it.
I thought as per UCAS regulations they aren't allowed to write a bad review? Also how come you are only now hearing about this? And to be fair you've had since September to apply and the school is supposed to ask for your final approval before sending it off, ie making sure you are happy with the references, you could have done this a lot sooner.
Reply 96
Original post by WeslshStudent101
I thought as per UCAS regulations they aren't allowed to write a bad review? Also how come you are only now hearing about this? And to be fair you've had since September to apply and the school is supposed to ask for your final approval before sending it off, ie making sure you are happy with the references, you could have done this a lot sooner.

You've got nothing right in this post. Your school doesn't have to ask for your approval - the reference is supposed to be their thoughts, not yours. And they can write a bad reference if it's true.
Original post by Juno
You've got nothing right in this post. Your school doesn't have to ask for your approval - the reference is supposed to be their thoughts, not yours. And they can write a bad reference if it's true.

If that is the case I apologize, that is how it was explained to my school last September by a regional UCAS adviser who works for a nearby university.
Original post by hilla_s
My teacher wrote things such as 'she has no motivation' and 'needs another year before going to university' on my reference, therefore they did not accept me. How is that legal?
PS don't worry me and my mum r going to the head of the school tomorrow.

Why not turn this around and say this motivates you even more to accomplish your dreams, and to prove this teacher wrong?
Reply 99
Original post by PQ
(so they can track students from ks2 with all their exam results and interventions from universities, can find out which universities they end up with but not where they apply and whether they get offers)

Wow that's really shocking that they can track people all the way back to ks2! Most primary school age kids aren't even thinking about GCSEs, let alone uni, so it seems a bit unfair to track their exam results that far back!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending