The Student Room Group

Disability CHAT/HELP Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Oh gosh, that's horrific. I didn't realised PIP had only given you standard for mobility. That's ****ing ridiculous of them arrrrrrrrrrrrgh :mad:

Really sorry social services have proved so **** hun :frown:

Is OK, like tbh I though they (PIP people) would totally disregard all the EDS stuff, but she was more focussed on that than on the MH stuff, which..well in a lot of areas my MH limits me more than the EDS does. I didn't want to appeal the award though (the daily living component was correct because it was enhanced which I was told I should get but just technically in some areas it was like she minimised my issues for some weird reasons - e.g. because I hadn't been sectioned my MH wasn't bad? And therefore didn't need prompting?), too much effort and also I was under the crisis team at the time so my brain was too busy with other things. haha.

I'd heard a lot of horror stories from people with EDS so I was grateful for the award in general. People were saying things like because we have an increased range of motion we can't possible suffer with severe pain? And these people are on oramorph and stuff, I don't take medication, as you know, because I react badly to things so is pointless for me. Thought that would be used against me as well, it wasn't for the most part. She also made hypocritical remarks in the report with various things about walking or my demeanour (e.g. saying I was shaking, but also saying I was calm throughout, even though I had a meltdown and dissociated part way through...?). lol...Yeah, just swings and round abouts. I hope you get the award you deserve, though. Takes the piss you've waited so long. :sadnod:

Yeah, mum says we should complain...haha. ahhh. That's effort, just wish people would get it write first time. Just don't have the energy atm because of everything else going on I guess. :dontknow: Just don't get how even PIP people acknowledged (at the very least) that I need help in a lot of areas to different degrees based solely on my EDS, just wish SOMEONE would acknowledge both the MH and physical stuff. It isn't hard. Thought the social would, but apparently not!
Original post by Pathway
Yeah, mum says we should complain...haha. ahhh. That's effort, just wish people would get it write first time. Just don't have the energy atm because of everything else going on I guess. :dontknow: Just don't get how even PIP people acknowledged (at the very least) that I need help in a lot of areas to different degrees based solely on my EDS, just wish SOMEONE would acknowledge both the MH and physical stuff. It isn't hard. Thought the social would, but apparently not!

You're wasting your time complaining. I did and got some bog standard letter which said "if we lied, which we didn't, prove it". Oh, apart from the fact they had the nerve to call both my GP and ENT doctor a liar. Because of course, neither have a clue what they're talking about. And she couldn't decide on certain things. She got 1 thing right. I went from 4 points on care to 11 and 0 points on mobility to 12.

I'm not even sure why on earth she assessed me when she didn't even know anything about my disabilities - she asked what Hyperacusis was and clearly wasn't aware that it's much harder for someone with one of my eye conditions to drive. Apparently, I'd chosen not to drive. She then did an eye test which proved I'd never legally be able to apply for a licence in the first place. (You have to read the number plate at 20 metres. I can read it with glasses at around 7 metres)

You only have to read the report to know it was full of BS.
Original post by Tiger Rag
You're wasting your time complaining. I did and got some bog standard letter which said "if we lied, which we didn't, prove it". Oh, apart from the fact they had the nerve to call both my GP and ENT doctor a liar. Because of course, neither have a clue what they're talking about. And she couldn't decide on certain things. She got 1 thing right. I went from 4 points on care to 11 and 0 points on mobility to 12.

I'm not even sure why on earth she assessed me when she didn't even know anything about my disabilities - she asked what Hyperacusis was and clearly wasn't aware that it's much harder for someone with one of my eye conditions to drive. Apparently, I'd chosen not to drive. She then did an eye test which proved I'd never legally be able to apply for a licence in the first place. (You have to read the number plate at 20 metres. I can read it with glasses at around 7 metres)

You only have to read the report to know it was full of BS.

Well I have to complain to social services as I'm gonna need adaptations when I move out, I just don't have the brain power for complaining about it right now, is why my mum's gonna do it. I'm not well enough mentally for this ****, ironically she knew this because when she called I told her I am back under the local home treatment team. ha. Idiot. It's like she wanted to give the knife a little twist to annoy me even more!

I'm past caring about PIP, I just hope they actually get it accurate next time I see them, but at least I have an award (for which I am grateful), didn't think I'd get anything with what they usually do to EDS people and those with MH issues.

That's so stupid. I'm sorry they put down so many lies. I find it disgusting that on some of the most vulnerable members of society they do this, thinking they can get away with it.
bpppddpdpdppddpdp.gif
Original post by CoolCavy
bpppddpdpdppddpdp.gif

:jumphug:
Original post by Pathway
:jumphug:

So I lost my freedom pass again (second time this calendar year :facepalm: ) but a good samaritan picked it up and phoned me (pass holder has my business card with mobile number in it) to say he'll post it to me :adore: :yay: :redface:
So the plot of "What happened to Shan's PIP application?" thickens: PIP have paid money into my account with the sender name PIP... but looking at the current rates, the amount paid into my account makes no sense whatsoever, as the figures don't add up :erm: :facepalm: :dontknow:

Will phone them up on Monday as still no letter :nopity:
So the plot of "What happened to Shan's PIP application?" thickens: PIP have paid money into my account with the sender name PIP... but looking at the current rates, the amount paid into my account makes no sense whatsoever, as the figures don't add up :erm: :facepalm: :dontknow:

Will phone them up on Monday as still no letter :nopity:

Sometimes the first payment is weird...that could be why?
Original post by Pathway
Sometimes the first payment is weird...that could be why?

Ah OK. Just terrified to use the money until I hear it's rightfully mine tbh :redface:

:hugs:
Anyone got into/starting uni this time then? How are you feeling? :smile:

Hope you get it sorted TLG!
Turns out a letter had arrived about my PIP award but my dad hid it from me til he thought I was well enough to open it (been really ill past few days), just in case it was a rejection.

Got standard daily living award :king1: Points for mobility but not enough to get an award for it. That is fair though. Award is 2 years, so have to go through all this faff again in 2 years time :emo: But over the moon to have got anything at all tbh :redface:

Huge shout out to @Pathway for providing so much support and advice/advice booklets to help me do the application. And thanks to all of you for all your support too :grouphugs:
How do people manage studying with brain fog/memory issues/cognitive dysfunction? It's starting to become prominent in my work and it no doubt affects my studying.
Turns out a letter had arrived about my PIP award but my dad hid it from me til he thought I was well enough to open it (been really ill past few days), just in case it was a rejection.

Got standard daily living award :king1: Points for mobility but not enough to get an award for it. That is fair though. Award is 2 years, so have to go through all this faff again in 2 years time :emo: But over the moon to have got anything at all tbh :redface:

Huge shout out to @Pathway for providing so much support and advice/advice booklets to help me do the application. And thanks to all of you for all your support too :grouphugs:

Yay! How was your PIP assessment?
My mum was looking up on the charity website for my condition and was suggesting I get some kind of benefit and even a blue badge! But I know that the PIP process can be stressful and don't always get awarded - people become so stressed when they're refused and they feel that the assessor wasn't fair. I feel quite sensitive about my conditions, often feeling like an imposter so to have an assessor suggest that there's nothing wrong would be devastating.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by hannxm
My mum was looking up on the charity website for my condition and was suggesting I get some kind of benefit and even a blue badge! But I know that the PIP process can be stressful and don't always get awarded - people become so stressed when they're refused and they feel that the assessor wasn't fair. I feel quite sensitive about my conditions, often feeling like an imposter so to have an assessor suggest that there's nothing wrong would be devastating.

My assessment wasn't too bad actually - I was very lucky that I got someone who appeared rather human. Got a good vibe off her and she tried to put me at ease. Like when I was talking about the voices saying bad stuff about people I don't know, she asked whether they were saying anything about her. So I said the voices were saying that she and my CPN (community psychiatric nurse) were conspiring to kill me :eek: She then tried to reassure me briefly that she's not out to kill me :colondollar:

She was a bit daft in some respects though - clearly hadn't read up on my condition at all to see how it might affect me or what it might involve. Like for PIP, there's a question about managing money. So I started explaining that in hypomanic episodes, I can't control my spending at all and she looked bemused and shocked and was like "so are you diagnosed with bipolar?" Like if she'd bothered to Google my mental health condition, she'd know that it encompasses symptoms of schizophrenia and bipolar :facepalm:

Ngl, it is a very gruelling process to navigate and they don't really give you sufficient time to apply, or to appeal - a month for both those things. Like, the DWP must know that most disabled people won't be able to gather all the evidence, get help filling in the form, and apply/appeal within that time :erm:

I believe something like 50% of cases that are appealed, the decision is overturned in their favour and they are (eventually) made a PIP award. I was very lucky to not have to appeal at all, was bracing myself to.

My advice would be to go for it but prepare as much as you can in advance so that as soon as you get the form, you can get going on it quite easily. Get family and/or a local disability charity to help you fill in the form. @Pathway sent me a really helpful booklet - can PM it to you if that would help :yes:

Regarding the brain fog thing, I make super-detailed notes to so that my notes can do my remembering for me. But that takes time and energy that I don't have, so it's not an ideal system :no:
Original post by hannxm
How do people manage studying with brain fog/memory issues/cognitive dysfunction? It's starting to become prominent in my work and it no doubt affects my studying.

This has to be one of the most frustrating things. For me there's an element of just going with it- if it's not happening and I've tried a totally different task too, it's probably not worth it. Obviously that doesn't work all the time but yeah. Sometimes I'll try something a bit easier, eg sorting out files, just so I can feel like I'm doing something useful still.

When I really have to do something eg because an essay is due I'll try and get just random words down in a list, that I can come back and attempt to make sense of later. And stuff like wandering round and drinking plenty etc. It's so hard not to get really annoyed with it though and more in a mess. In exams I get extra time and rest breaks which help with the normal day to day stuff a bit, but I dread the day I have to go into one again with full on brain fog. It'd be a disaster.

Sorry that isn't a lot of help, I do feel for you though! It's hard, you never know how you're going to be so try to do stuff early, but then do too much and end up worse. Chronic illness just sucks.
Original post by hannxm
Have a little nap and come back to everything with your brain a little more rested??:dontknow: Don't have massive amounts of experience with this but do struggle to concentrate sometimes. :redface:
Original post by hannxm

You have EDS right? I do as well, I got awarded enhanced rate daily living and standard mobility. It can be done. Having said that, my assessor was a bit picky. during one of the physical tests they did on me I only subluxed my shoulders, not fully dislocated them, so because they went out and in and they were talking during that they didn't hear the clunking sound that was being made. Anyway, she then decided I needed no assistance with washing my hair or putting clothes on, which is wrong. It was quite funny that she said all that when she also noted how easily my fingers dislocate and the lack of power I have in my arms, so dunno why she think I could put clothes on without issue. I actually find it kind of sick how annoying my body is. You need compression stockings because you're more likely to pass out without them? Okay, but you gotta dislocate your fingers putting them on!! :lol:

Having said that, despite my EDS limiting me in a lot of ways, my MH is far more disabling, when reading the report it felt like she was minimising my MH and trying to go for the lowest possible amount of help I'd require. As an example, she said I just need assistance cutting up food, when in actual fact if I'm not prompted I just don't eat or drink (because I have anorexia).

For ESA the assessor didn't even bother looking at my EDS and focussed on my MH issues and I got placed straight into the support group.

Anyway, if you do want help with it, I'm around, just let me know. Things are a bit hectic though so might take a while for a reply. :redface:
Hey guys, congratulations on going through the awful assessments, I had my reassessments last year, and it took me weeks to recover. Can I ask, are you both off to University? As I’m going back after a 4 years period of recovery? If so, how will the esa and pip work? I know I can keep my pip as I have been in contact with them! But I’m really worried about my esa? Any help would be so much appreciated
My assessment wasn't too bad actually - I was very lucky that I got someone who appeared rather human. Got a good vibe off her and she tried to put me at ease. Like when I was talking about the voices saying bad stuff about people I don't know, she asked whether they were saying anything about her. So I said the voices were saying that she and my CPN (community psychiatric nurse) were conspiring to kill me :eek: She then tried to reassure me briefly that she's not out to kill me :colondollar:

She was a bit daft in some respects though - clearly hadn't read up on my condition at all to see how it might affect me or what it might involve. Like for PIP, there's a question about managing money. So I started explaining that in hypomanic episodes, I can't control my spending at all and she looked bemused and shocked and was like "so are you diagnosed with bipolar?" Like if she'd bothered to Google my mental health condition, she'd know that it encompasses symptoms of schizophrenia and bipolar :facepalm:

Ngl, it is a very gruelling process to navigate and they don't really give you sufficient time to apply, or to appeal - a month for both those things. Like, the DWP must know that most disabled people won't be able to gather all the evidence, get help filling in the form, and apply/appeal within that time :erm:

I believe something like 50% of cases that are appealed, the decision is overturned in their favour and they are (eventually) made a PIP award. I was very lucky to not have to appeal at all, was bracing myself to.

My advice would be to go for it but prepare as much as you can in advance so that as soon as you get the form, you can get going on it quite easily. Get family and/or a local disability charity to help you fill in the form. @Pathway sent me a really helpful booklet - can PM it to you if that would help :yes:

Regarding the brain fog thing, I make super-detailed notes to so that my notes can do my remembering for me. But that takes time and energy that I don't have, so it's not an ideal system :no:

Thank-you for responding! :smile: I am not sure about applying just yet, it's something I keep in mind though. I don't why they refuse so many but accept so many appeals. It's a stupid system.

Original post by furryface12
This has to be one of the most frustrating things. For me there's an element of just going with it- if it's not happening and I've tried a totally different task too, it's probably not worth it. Obviously that doesn't work all the time but yeah. Sometimes I'll try something a bit easier, eg sorting out files, just so I can feel like I'm doing something useful still.

When I really have to do something eg because an essay is due I'll try and get just random words down in a list, that I can come back and attempt to make sense of later. And stuff like wandering round and drinking plenty etc. It's so hard not to get really annoyed with it though and more in a mess. In exams I get extra time and rest breaks which help with the normal day to day stuff a bit, but I dread the day I have to go into one again with full on brain fog. It'd be a disaster.

Sorry that isn't a lot of help, I do feel for you though! It's hard, you never know how you're going to be so try to do stuff early, but then do too much and end up worse. Chronic illness just sucks.

Yeah, it's very frustrating and it's only recently that I've noticed how I am affected mentally. We do similar things actually. I do little and often, I also write a bunch of ramblings on pieces of paper and come back to it with a 'fresher' mind. Some days I can work for hours on end, others I cannot concentrate for longer than a few minutes. I may ask for extra time in exams. I definitely get super annoyed so I know it's time to take a break or leave it until the next day. I am working weeks ahead where I can, so I don't get stressed about deadlines, as stress does me in totally.

Original post by 04MR17
Have a little nap and come back to everything with your brain a little more rested??:dontknow: Don't have massive amounts of experience with this but do struggle to concentrate sometimes. :redface:

Thank-you for the suggestion. :smile: I do sometimes nap when I'm very tired but I generally should avoid napping where I can - I used to nap every day for an hour or two because I couldn't continue the day without one but my doctor told me I shouldn't and thankfully, I have meds that have greatly improved my energy levels. I just leave it until the next day and sometimes the information clicks after a sleep. :smile:

Original post by Pathway
You have EDS right? I do as well, I got awarded enhanced rate daily living and standard mobility. It can be done. Having said that, my assessor was a bit picky. during one of the physical tests they did on me I only subluxed my shoulders, not fully dislocated them, so because they went out and in and they were talking during that they didn't hear the clunking sound that was being made. Anyway, she then decided I needed no assistance with washing my hair or putting clothes on, which is wrong. It was quite funny that she said all that when she also noted how easily my fingers dislocate and the lack of power I have in my arms, so dunno why she think I could put clothes on without issue. I actually find it kind of sick how annoying my body is. You need compression stockings because you're more likely to pass out without them? Okay, but you gotta dislocate your fingers putting them on!! :lol:

Having said that, despite my EDS limiting me in a lot of ways, my MH is far more disabling, when reading the report it felt like she was minimising my MH and trying to go for the lowest possible amount of help I'd require. As an example, she said I just need assistance cutting up food, when in actual fact if I'm not prompted I just don't eat or drink (because I have anorexia).

For ESA the assessor didn't even bother looking at my EDS and focussed on my MH issues and I got placed straight into the support group.

Anyway, if you do want help with it, I'm around, just let me know. Things are a bit hectic though so might take a while for a reply. :redface:

Yeah, I do and POTs. It's the POTs I find the most problematic. It sounds so frustrating! I don't need any financial support at the moment, it's something to consider in future though if I deteriorate, hopefully not though! I am doing better on new medication now too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending