The Student Room Group

Disability CHAT/HELP Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 04MR17
It's just annoying to do the paperwork I suppose, no genuine trauma or worries or anything because my disability hasn't really changed in any way (and never will). But I'm unsure whether some documents are here with me at uni or at home (and obviously I can't go and check myself) so I may have to get my parents to search my room for some folders.

My last needs assessment was 2017, does that warrant a new one?

It's also currently my stressful final bit of the degree time (this DSA application is for my PGCE next year), so trying to put it off until I've finished but also don't want to leave it too late. :banghead:

I don't think so, I only had one face to face assessment for DSA. It was topped up towards the end of year 2 but if your disability is stable then there's no need to get a new one.

I think it's only needed if there is a change or you study new degree etc. Or if a certain amount of time has elapsed (e.g. year out (?)).
Original post by 04MR17
Got DSA to do again this year :frown:

I need to sort this :/ asked my GP for a letter the other day as I need to change back to the home ones (ugh), and he obviously knows me best atm. I don't even know if I'll be able to go in September though, assuming it's running at all, so not really sure what to do about anything atm.
Original post by Pathway
I don't think so, I only had one face to face assessment for DSA. It was topped up towards the end of year 2 but if your disability is stable then there's no need to get a new one.

I think it's only needed if there is a change or you study new degree etc. Or if a certain amount of time has elapsed (e.g. year out (?)).

Original post by claireestelle
I dont believe you ll need a new one :smile: the needs assessment centre can send you an encrypted copy if you cant find it, they did that for me as sfe wanted my old on or perhaps your uni has a copy themselves.

Just had an email telling me to book a needs assessment! :lol:
I'll wait a couple of weeks to sort it because I really just need to work right now. :bricks:
Slightly happy because my laptop from 2017 (bought with DSA) is growing very old and slow so it'd be quite nice to have an updated version if I can wangle that out of them. **crosses fingers**
Original post by furryface12
I need to sort this :/ asked my GP for a letter the other day as I need to change back to the home ones (ugh), and he obviously knows me best atm. I don't even know if I'll be able to go in September though, assuming it's running at all, so not really sure what to do about anything atm.

The uncertainty 100% isn't helping. :redface:
I suspect HE institutions will have finalised their action plans by the end of this month and will be communicating likely scenarios sometime in June, but it really depends on government measures for how quickly they're able to move on next year.
New phone arrived today. :smile: It always amuses me that they include earphones that I'm unable to wear. :giggle:
Oh dear. I have put off writing my official complaint for ages, I really need to just do it. I hope I've not left it too late. :doh:
Original post by Snufkin
Oh dear. I have put off writing my official complaint for ages, I really need to just do it. I hope I've not left it too late. :doh:

Check the guidelines - I know at my university, you have to complain within 3 months from the start of the things leading to your complaining.

:hugs:

Talking of complaints, my uni and I have reached a settlement for my own complaint against them. Guess they didn't like the idea of a potential court case, lol
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Check the guidelines - I know at my university, you have to complain within 3 months from the start of the things leading to your complaining.

:hugs:

Talking of complaints, my uni and I have reached a settlement for my own complaint against them. Guess they didn't like the idea of a potential court case, lol

Yeah it does say something about 3 months. My SU adviser wasn't sure how they'd interpret that rule because this issue didn't have a single start date but rather has steadily unfolded throughout the year. I really need to pull my finger out tbh.

Nice!
I must say I have huge admiration for all the retail workers having to understand people talking through a facemask. I know I'd really struggle with my hearing if I had to try to understand people talking through one of those. :frown:
Original post by 04MR17
I must say I have huge admiration for all the retail workers having to understand people talking through a facemask. I know I'd really struggle with my hearing if I had to try to understand people talking through one of those. :frown:

Me too. :redface: I already struggle without masks, let alone with them. There's an app you can use that does real time translation (well, in this incidence, it can write out what someone is saying, so people can read instead of trying to hear what is being said).
Original post by 04MR17

i am heading back to work on sunday (retail job) terrified about not being able to lip read anybody aghh :frown:
Me to New uni disability services:
What evidence would you like me to send? I have plenty but it's a waste of time sending you a tonne of paperwork if you want something specific.

Them:
Please send us your evidence.

:facepalm:
Original post by 04MR17
Me to New uni disability services:
What evidence would you like me to send? I have plenty but it's a waste of time sending you a tonne of paperwork if you want something specific.

Them:
Please send us your evidence.

:facepalm:

their loss if they want to read all of it, my psychologist evidence is 13 pages long and there's only two where it explains my diagnosis but they always want the full thing for some reason.
their loss if they want to read all of it, my psychologist evidence is 13 pages long and there's only two where it explains my diagnosis but they always want the full thing for some reason.
It is rather odd that they don't want to save time given how busy they must surely be.

In general it really does baffle me that people sometimes choose to increase their workload while complaining about how busy they are. :rolleyes:
Original post by 04MR17
It is rather odd that they don't want to save time given how busy they must surely be.

In general it really does baffle me that people sometimes choose to increase their workload while complaining about how busy they are. :rolleyes:

yes it is quite odd, i m sure they'll realise the error of their ways when they need to read through pages to get to the main point
Complaint is rolling on. Got my official response yesterday, full of half-truths and is very misleading. I hope whoever assess the complaint can see past these tricks.
im a neurodivegent (dyslexic) can I join?
Original post by PeachyMilk
im a neurodivegent (dyslexic) can I join?

of course you can :smile:
of course you can :smile:

thank you :biggrin:
when I run a diagnostic at uni would it be worth getting tested for other learning disabilities that my family and I suspect I have?
Original post by PeachyMilk
when I run a diagnostic at uni would it be worth getting tested for other learning disabilities that my family and I suspect I have?

If you see an educational psychologist then that would cover quite a few learning difficulties in itself, if this ADHD or autism you want to be tested for then you might have to see a clinical psychologist as well.

Quick Reply

Latest