The Student Room Group

If someone could just....

Argh! Kill me now!
Waiting for results day is making me a basket case!
I'm a mature student hoping to do a Spanish degree and eventually claw my way into primary education with MFL.
I've done my access course, did really well... I'm waiting for my Spanish A level result, I need an A or a B for the UEA (let's hope they are feeling generous when I get a C!).
I've just found out about the QTS numeracy test. I thought I might get away with avoiding maths!!!!
I am descending into panic and living a life I have no control over!!!
If I get into uni, we have to move to Spain for a year in the third year. I've got two kids, 6 and 4. My husband works away for a month at a time.... AND ITS THE SCHOOL HOLIDAYS!!!

Send help!!!!!!!
have you had a look at some example questions, tbh they aren't that bad

https://www.reading.ac.uk/web/files/library/MS_Practice_Questions_1-_QTS_Numeracy_skills_test.pdf

e.g. to do Q3 without a calculator

find 80% of £250

you could do the following

80% of anything is 100% of that thing with 20% taken away
20% of anything is 10% of that thing multiplied by 2

so 100% of £250 is £250
10% of £250 is £25
£25 multiplied by 2 is £50 so 20% of £250 is £50
£250 minus £50 is £200 so 80% of £250 is £200

the mental arithmetic is just about finding ways to break a problem down into a series of steps that are easier to do

There are 'how to' books for qts you can buy or borrow from your town library that'll help
there are online examples for you to practice on.
That third year is going to be interesting. It kind of defeats the point if you end up speaking English to your family for that entire academic year.
Surely you don't have to do the year abroad?
Original post by DrSocSciences
That third year is going to be interesting. It kind of defeats the point if you end up speaking English to your family for that entire academic year.

Original post by imherpacifier
Surely you don't have to do the year abroad?

Why would you assume I would be speaking English to my family? We are a reasonably multi lingual family at home. My husband is learning Russian and the children experience English, Spanish, French and Russian at home. They will be in a bilingual school for the duration of the move... cheers for the support though!!

The year abroad is mandatory to finish the degree.

It's not the move that's the issue, it's the not knowing if the move is a move! Ha!
Original post by Joinedup
have you had a look at some example questions, tbh they aren't that bad

https://www.reading.ac.uk/web/files/library/MS_Practice_Questions_1-_QTS_Numeracy_skills_test.pdf

e.g. to do Q3 without a calculator

find 80% of £250

you could do the following

80% of anything is 100% of that thing with 20% taken away
20% of anything is 10% of that thing multiplied by 2

so 100% of £250 is £250
10% of £250 is £25
£25 multiplied by 2 is £50 so 20% of £250 is £50
£250 minus £50 is £200 so 80% of £250 is £200

the mental arithmetic is just about finding ways to break a problem down into a series of steps that are easier to do

There are 'how to' books for qts you can buy or borrow from your town library that'll help
there are online examples for you to practice on.

Hello! Thank you so much for the help! I have watched a few YouTube videos now. I haven't used some of these techniques since school. I am kicking myself at the endless "when will I ever use that again" rants I had post school 😂
I will check out the link and I will grab a book.
Maths is a scary world!!!
Original post by PCsqwelch

The year abroad is mandatory to finish the degree.

I understand that, having done an undergraduate languages degree myself, followed by a Masters with kids and a baby, and a PhD, with older children.
Original post by DrSocSciences
I understand that, having done an undergraduate languages degree myself, followed by a Masters with kids and a baby, and a PhD, with older children.

At least I know I can be done then!
Original post by PCsqwelch
At least I know I can be done then!

It definitely can, good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending