The Student Room Group

TOASTIE's toil for 8s!

Hey guys, I'm toastie and I started year 11 today:s-smilie: it's been an intense first day; we've been told multiple times today that we've gotta work really hard this year to exceed our predicted grades!😩

So I decided to start this thread to track my revision etc and hopefully to help others with their revision (if I do any:biggrin:)
I really like all my subjects right now except physics (ughhh) and I especially like maths. My favourite thing to do is play tennis, I train three times a week but I don't play matches cause I get too nervous. Yeah for some reason a tennis match is almost as terrifying as an exam:colonhash:.
I also like baking cakes and cookies- even though I suck:biggrin:- I made some salty tasting rainbow cookies a few days ago, appetising or what?!

Anyway below are my end of year grades which tbh really shocked me, I'm only disappointed in music but I didn't manage to finish the exam so it was my own fault:colondollar:.
My end of year grades

Spoiler

And my predicted grades (november) haven't been fully issued yet but this is what I've been given this morning:

Spoiler

most recent report:

Spoiler

most recent predicted grades:

Spoiler

the future

Spoiler

Given my school are predicting me 8s, I personally am going to aim for mainly 8s with some 9s if a miracle happens:redface: but if I get 7s I won't be upset as I *hopefully* will have tried my best but given I'm not a mind reader nor a psychic...:biggrin:

I'll post soon, anyone doing similar GCSEs let me know especially for Chinese; I don't know anyone outside of my school doing it:biggrin:
TOASTIE
06/09/17
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey everyone:groovy::hello:
Had a decent day two of year 11 with maths, English, French, music and Mandarin. I found out my maths end of year results which were awesome! I got 199/240 which I am insanely happy about:biggrin: but obvs I'm not going to get complacent. Also discovered that my school plan on offering the Mandarin Pre-U which I really wanted to take and have been begging the head of languages to run for months:happy2:and we're potentially having a Chinese exchange if I stay on for sixth form.
I didn't do any revision but I did French and Mandarin homework which were reasonably quick so I'll probably work on my music composition now (we got the brief today:s-smilie:).
I'm getting my science exams back next Thursday (they were marked externally), we took the exams in May though and I genuinely can't remember how I found them so if I do badly I won't be disappointed:redface:
Anyone else a little freaked out by the amount of pressure being put on us by teachers this year???:hmmmm:
TOASTIE
07/09/17
Reply 2
IT'S THE WEEKEND!!!:biggrin:
Yes I've only been back for three days but this weekend is a needed rest if I'm to make it through next week.:colone:
Friday was good, I had P.E, English and history with a tennis lesson after school. English was really good, we started reading Frankenstein which was good but history wasn't so good, no one in the class was behaving so we didn't cover much which was really irritating. :angry:
Today I finished my homework (English, history and music) and then went out for lunch. Then I did some maths (completing the square) and picked up a notebook to write out my history notes neatly. :s-smilie:
Hope everyone's having a relaxing weekend, I'm heading out to Nando's now:smile:
TOASTIE
09/09/17
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Toastiekid
IT'S THE WEEKEND!!!:biggrin:
Yes I've only been back for three days but this weekend is a needed rest if I'm to make it through next week.:colone:
Friday was good, I had P.E, English and history with a tennis lesson after school. English was really good, we started reading Frankenstein which was good but history wasn't so good, no one in the class was behaving so we didn't cover much which was really irritating. :angry:
Today I finished my homework (English, history and music) and then went out for lunch. Then I did some maths (completing the square) and picked up a notebook to write out my history notes neatly. :s-smilie:
Hope everyone's having a relaxing weekend, I'm heading out to Nando's now:smile:
TOASTIE
09/09/17

good luck!:biggrin: I'm also year 11, here's my thread so we can follow and motivate eachother
:five:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4927702
Reply 4
Original post by GoldAndFreeWifi
good luck!:biggrin: I'm also year 11, here's my thread so we can follow and motivate eachother
:five:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4927702

awesome! I'm now watching your thread:smile:
Reply 5
Day four!
I've made it through Monday, the seemingly worst day of the week with double physics, double maths and double English. Initially when I saw my timetable, I wanted to cry; Mondays suck but today was actually pretty good.:K:
In double physics I have a new physics teacher- he's brilliant! For once I actually understood the lesson without having to ask seven billion questions (I only asked like three:biggrin:) Maths was good, we just worked from the textbook, as usual. I can't wait till we start Add maths and begin learning new topics again; as we started the course in year 9 we finished it at the end of last year so we've literally done nothing the last few lessons.:boring: English was great! We started looking at Frankenstein, more specifically a character called Robert Wilton (or Wilson, I can't remember:clap2:) It was really interesting but every time we start reading I start yawning:dontknow:...some people just don't have interesting reading voices.
Anyhow, tonight I've done my maths homework which initially stumped me though after banging my head on the table a few times I realised what I had to do (not my fault, there're some subtly worded quadratic simultaneous equation questions out there. I WARNED YOU FIRST). I also started my notes on the history of Medicine, haven't gotten very far yet but hopefully I can get some more done in the week:s-smilie:
FullSizeRender (1).jpg
I've got so little time for homework and revision on this fine upcoming weekend meaning I've got to do it all in the week! So I'm off to make a poster about Archimedes and the Eureka moment for my physics homework...will post a picture if I remember:grin:
HAPPY MONDAY:elefant::badger::banana:WE CAN MAKE IT THROUGH ANOTHER WEEK OF YEAR 11! (or whatever year :proud:)
TOASTIE
11/09/17
Reply 6
DAY SIX
I had a great day till I got home, then all the tiredness caught up with me and I just wanted to collapse in my bed:ashamed2:...I didn't and now I'm feeling even worse :argh:

My day began bright and early with double maths which I really like and today we finally started Additional maths which was awesome as it was actually pretty challenging so I left the lesson feeling like I'd learnt something new:ahhhhh:( an unusual appearance:biggrin:) After that I had double biology, we did quadrats which would've been boring but we were allowed to go on the field to search for bugs (only found grass and ants though:cry2:). There was a really funny moment when our class realised that the 'pooters' could actually suck the bugs into your mouths:dong: and everyone got really grossed out. Finally I had double French- we did le conditionnel and le futur simple as the teacher seemed to have forgotten that we've literally done it hundreds of times before. And I did some speaking practise which went really well; my speaking has improved so much since I went on a French exchange last year.:h:
After school as you can guess, I haven't done very much, only my biology homework...I ordered my Add maths textbook and made a revision timetable though:innocent:

Tomorrow should be a good day, I've got maths (yay), English (halfhearted yay), French (woo), music (ugghh) and mandarin (YAY except it's a double)
And sixth form update: I'm currently thinking of staying at my school (although none of my friends are) and doing perhaps double maths, French and Chinese Pre-U or Maths, Bio, Chem and Chinese....:question:
FullSizeRender (2).jpg
Here's a photo of my timetable (out of school) for this week and some maths:parrot:
TOASTIE
13/09/17
Reply 7
WOAH ITS GONE SO QUICK!
It’s been three weeks since I posted on this thread and boy it’s been a busy three weeks😱
Here’s a summary of what happened:
-> I applied to a sixth form! I wrote a pretty decent personal statement and they’ve given me a place. It’s my backup option tho but I’m still happy!

-> I won a really big tennis tournament for my school and it was so awesome! I was so insanely happy and proud! 😁

-> I got my science exam results back! I was so shook by these results, I got 8s in all of them, which I didn’t expect especially in chemistry. Most the year didn’t do so well tho so they’re making us take more mocks in two weeks time which suckssss!
Um I think that’s about it...
Anyway the revision timetable was a sham I didn’t stick to it AT ALL! I’ve started revision for my maths and science mocks in two weeks time ugh and I’m finding it very boring😐😐😐

It’s nearly Friday though!! Then it’s the weekend where I’ll sleep and then do some hardcore revision. Wish me luck🌟🌟🌟
Toastiekid
05/10/17
WOAH ITS GONE SO QUICK!
It’s been three weeks since I posted on this thread and boy it’s been a busy three weeks😱
Here’s a summary of what happened:
-> I applied to a sixth form! I wrote a pretty decent personal statement and they’ve given me a place. It’s my backup option tho but I’m still happy!

-> I won a really big tennis tournament for my school and it was so awesome! I was so insanely happy and proud! 😁

-> I got my science exam results back! I was so shook by these results, I got 8s in all of them, which I didn’t expect especially in chemistry. Most the year didn’t do so well tho so they’re making us take more mocks in two weeks time which suckssss!
Um I think that’s about it...
Anyway the revision timetable was a sham I didn’t stick to it AT ALL! I’ve started revision for my maths and science mocks in two weeks time ugh and I’m finding it very boring😐😐😐

It’s nearly Friday though!! Then it’s the weekend where I’ll sleep and then do some hardcore revision. Wish me luck🌟🌟🌟
Toastiekid
05/10/17
:congrats: on the sciences, and on the tennis.:biggrin:

Don't burn yourself out on the revision too early.:wink:

Keep it up!:thumbsup:

Any problems or questions I'm happy yo help.:smile:
Reply 9
Original post by 04MR17
:congrats: on the sciences, and on the tennis.:biggrin:

Don't burn yourself out on the revision too early.:wink:

Keep it up!:thumbsup:

Any problems or questions I'm happy yo help.:smile:

THANK YOU! 👍🏽👍🏽
I’m trying not to burn out I just started revising for my mocks in the next two weeks! I’ll be sure to let you know if I need any help😁😁
Toastiekid 👋🏽
THE WEEKEND IS HERE!
time to rest and recuperate, I’m ready for a relaxing weekend!😀😀
It’s been a decent week, I haven’t had any really bad days although I haven’t gotten the science revision I needed done! 😣 meaning I’m gonna have a busy weekend.
Today (Friday 13th) hasn’t been suck a gr8 day, I was late to school cause of a problem with my local bus and during my tennis lesson I slipped over and hit my wrist pretty hard😩🎾 not superstitious but today has sucked!
Tomorrow I have a guitar lesson🎸 and we’re doing something gotta give by all time low 🎧 which I really love 💕
I’ve also made a timetable for the weekend so I get most my science and maths revision done (exams on Monday😱😣)
My exams are just on Monday and Tuesday- I’m going on a 4 day school trip on Thursday which I am ridiculously excited for! It looks like such an awesome trip and I’ll be my friends so it should be so much fun 🤞😁
I’ve also been informed that at my schools sixth form they’re going to offer a trip to China 🇨🇳 which I would absolutely love to go on! I am desperate to go and trying to persuade my parents, only thing is that it means I’ll have to stay at my school form sixth form though I’m still applying to a selective girls school and I’ve been accepted into the local sixth form college.
Hope everyone’s had a nice week and have a relaxing weekend- almost half term!!!👋🏽👋🏽👋🏽
TOASTIEKID
13/10/17
As I write this, it's just after 10pm on a rather dramatic day though I struggle to find a not dramatic day this year! Last night I made a BIG MISTAKE! It was close to 11pm and I was babysitting my siblings when, being the intelligent being I am, I decided to begin reading the one and only Dracula. Now before anyone wonders why this was such a mistake, let me inform you- I am the world's biggest wimp. I turned fifteen a few months ago and still haven't watched proper horror film, I was terrified watching the woman in black so the idea of this vile creature entering through my window and sucking my blood petrified me. I have not finished the book yet, but last night I was far enough through to be pretty spooked:frown: especially when I heard the click of the front door opening but no conversation. I was soaked by sweat I was so scared but after lying in my bed for ages I eventually fell asleep. This afternoon I asked my parents who came through the door last.night- apparently my dad left early which was such a relief to know!:biggrin:
Productive things I did today:

Spoiler

At guitar we finished learning something gotta give by all time low (all time low fans gimme a wave!:biggrin:) it was really fun and I actually remembered to play it on the right frets! I've also bought mini toiletries for my school trip, will disclose location after I've been:u: take guess if you dare?!
In case anyone was curious, my day was dramatic due to me getting covered in glitter and getting the wrong end of the stick with a friend causing confusion oh and being tested by a friend's Chinese exchange whose exchange didn't respond to a message!:s-smilie:
Anyone else excited for Halloween???
TOASTIEKID
14/10/17
(edited 6 years ago)
HALF TERM BEGINS (for me:biggrin:) :aetsch:
School has technically finished for me as I'm on my school trip tomorrow till Sunday evening! It looks like such an amazing trip, the only downside is I'll have to wake up at 3am tomorrow to get to the airport on time!:console:which is going to be hard...but I hope I'll have a great time which will make up for the insanely early start. Today I logged onto UCAS progress to apply for my school's sixth form and discovered that they've uploaded my predicted grades!

Spoiler

Well that was pretty shocking, I'm going to have to work my butt off to get those grades, especially in music as I basically never practise piano so I'm kinda screwed for the practical element:colondollar: oops
Anyway, in regards to the exams I sat earlier this week, well it was a mix of emotions...on Monday I sat science and maths. Science was awful, I'll be lucky to get 50% on it let alone a grade 9! Have a slight hunch that those grades will be edited slightly...
I also sat Maths which flew by, I answered every question and had enough time to check all my answers. I needed 64+ on all three papers (only sat one so far) to get a 9 overall (according to my school) and I think I probably got enough on this paper! On Tuesday I sat English Language paper 1 which tbh I felt totally unprepared for by my teacher as we've only sat it one time before and I think this will probably be reflected in my overall mark. Also think the school might send me to a counsellor because I took the theme in the creative writing task of a bus, and wrote about a bus driving off a cliff killing innocent children...pretty sure they're going to think that there's something severely wrong with my head. In reality, I am no psychopath, I had watched an episode of Veronica Mars ( an amazing TV series from early 2000s) where something similar had happened! oh well...
Half term should be great, I can just relax, read and revise maths, Macbeth and Frankenstein. Yes, phase 2 of my mocks begins the day after half term woo-not. On the second day of next half term we have an intervention day, which sounds pretty terrifying. I have been allocated to the French department for 4-5hours of intensive French lessons which obviously I think are irrelevant especially on HALLOWEEN!
Also I got set my mandarin controlled assessment which sucks.

TOASTIEKID
18/10/17
home
I'm back from a freaking awesome history trip to Berlin-I learnt so much from it, my brain hurts:s-smilie: anyway, I plan to upload what I did day by day on here (under spoilers) maybe some tonight some tomorrow. Today had not been productive:biggrin: although I did finish my draft mandarin controlled assessment (after the deadline!) I also raked my lawn. Tomorrow I'm gonna start planning my time as it's less than a week till phase two of my mocks begin:frown:
On a completely different note- I have been invited to a party! Which has not happened like ever (I don't mean kids parties lol) I've just gotta persuade my parents:colonhash: fingers crossed x
DAY 1

Spoiler

DAY 2

Spoiler

DAY 3

Spoiler

DAY 4

Spoiler

Have a nice evening y'all:smile:
TOASTIEKID
23/10/17 (I think)
(edited 6 years ago)
EAT.SLEEP.PROCRASTINATE.REPEAT
Aka my life right now!
Today I printed off my mandarin controlled assessment (and wrote it up all pretty on flash cards) and that’s been it so far. I mean I also went out for lunch and watched a great kids movie called nine lives on Netflix 😂 I should be renamed the queen of procrastination 👑
Yet the day has not ended, there isn’t still a chance I might do something productive (instead of looking at Halloween costumes online and shopping the urban outfitters autumn sale 😬) I have taken some preventative measures to ensure I do the work I gotta do by the end of this week; I made a list for each day of what i need to do. (Need not want- these are necessities)6BC77307-936F-44AC-AB02-6B5322D3BD84.jpg
Whoops this uploaded upside down- sorry but I’m not changing it round. If anyone gets cramp in their neck trying to read it, I’m sorry but quoting (i think) Shakespeare’s “what’s done is done” if I changed it, i would be goldplating the reality of my life (as I do every time my phone corrects the word “my” to Munich ) so sorry people 😐
Anyway it looks like my parents will let me go to the party woo though I’ve had to give them the mobile numbers of the parents ignored my friend who’s hosting it- but other then that...pretty decent. I’ve just got to figure out what to wear: I was going to wear my (amazing) clown costume but 😂 no one is properly dressing up and I’d look so extra 😆
On a school related note, I’m thinking of applying to Kings college maths school, it looks like a really interesting place which is recommended for those who love maths. My only fear is that my current teachers have to give a reference which would be so embarrassing if I didn’t get in! And if I declined my place (in the unlikely event i got a place) and stayed at my current school they’d probably think that there was something wrong with me! Oh well, enough of an update for today, I should probably do some maths (venn diagrams yay- not)
Bye 👋🏽
TOASTIEKID
25/10/17
(edited 6 years ago)
GUESS WHO'S TIMETABLE FAILED?
I'm sorry people, I'd say I tried hard to stick to it but clearly I didn't. Instead I made not one quizlet set, not two but 33 quizlet sets for French! Add me up@ dinosaur_14 don't even consider judging the username; I made it in year 8 when I was oh so young and life was innocent and carefree. I miss year 8, my biggest worry was what we'd make at cooking club each week! I also did my insanely long and boring music homework which you can guess took ages. I watched Mr Bean's holiday (I know, I have my priorities straight) and now I'm currently dying as my grandma put several too many garlic cloves in dinner this evening which always causes me (and only me) to feel like a scientist is building a rocket inside my belly- I know too much info but I feel like this is just a personal diary that other people keep stumbling across. I'm fine with that, I'm one of those people who needs some attention but not too much. I like getting some recognition for my effort (e.g a well done toastie scribbled in red pen in the margin of a book) not excessive attention like mentioning it 24/7 to everyone in the school! Sorry this has turned into a rant about my maths teacher:angry: he's making me dread the subject I love by being nice. He doesn't realise how I feel like I'm being suffocated by a plastic bag when he tells his other students about me and my maths.
Ugh.
Context btw: I go to a pretty good state school, I worked my butt off last year in maths and almost aced my end of year exam scoring the highest in my whole year group of more than 200! That should be great, right?
That's what I thought when I got the result, boy have I ever been more wrong... my school can be ridiculously competitive, this means if I get a question wrong in class I hear a mutter of "how did she get a 9?" It makes me feel bad about myself and it's so hard to ignore. I have another maths mock.on Monday. I have to get a nine. I have three more days and I am going to work my socks to outer space by Monday, I don't want to leave the hall knowing I could've done better. Screw the English exam on Monday it's the lesser of the two exams, I don't plan to touch English exams after June 2018!
Sorry 'bout the rant guys, had to let it all out.
TOASTIEKID
26/10/17
Good luck with your grades!

How in the holy hell are you aiming so high in sciences - can I have some tips pleas??? :grin::wink2:
GUESS WHO'S TIMETABLE FAILED?
I'm sorry people, I'd say I tried hard to stick to it but clearly I didn't. Instead I made not one quizlet set, not two but 33 quizlet sets for French! Add me up@ dinosaur_14 don't even consider judging the username; I made it in year 8 when I was oh so young and life was innocent and carefree. I miss year 8, my biggest worry was what we'd make at cooking club each week! I also did my insanely long and boring music homework which you can guess took ages. I watched Mr Bean's holiday (I know, I have my priorities straight) and now I'm currently dying as my grandma put several too many garlic cloves in dinner this evening which always causes me (and only me) to feel like a scientist is building a rocket inside my belly- I know too much info but I feel like this is just a personal diary that other people keep stumbling across. I'm fine with that, I'm one of those people who needs some attention but not too much. I like getting some recognition for my effort (e.g a well done toastie scribbled in red pen in the margin of a book) not excessive attention like mentioning it 24/7 to everyone in the school! Sorry this has turned into a rant about my maths teacher:angry: he's making me dread the subject I love by being nice. He doesn't realise how I feel like I'm being suffocated by a plastic bag when he tells his other students about me and my maths.
Ugh.
Context btw: I go to a pretty good state school, I worked my butt off last year in maths and almost aced my end of year exam scoring the highest in my whole year group of more than 200! That should be great, right?
That's what I thought when I got the result, boy have I ever been more wrong... my school can be ridiculously competitive, this means if I get a question wrong in class I hear a mutter of "how did she get a 9?" It makes me feel bad about myself and it's so hard to ignore. I have another maths mock.on Monday. I have to get a nine. I have three more days and I am going to work my socks to outer space by Monday, I don't want to leave the hall knowing I could've done better. Screw the English exam on Monday it's the lesser of the two exams, I don't plan to touch English exams after June 2018!
Sorry 'bout the rant guys, had to let it all out.
TOASTIEKID
26/10/17

hey toastie!

i found your gyg and it looks awesome!
mandarin is such a cool language, at my school they offer japanese at gcse and it feels like nobody else does that as a gcse! i didn’t choose japanese however, i chose spanish as my language as i find it very easy :smile:

i’m sorry about your maths teacher - you seem really good and confident at maths! good luck for your next mock, show them all what you can do.

i struggle a bit with maths (i was in top set, now i’m in second set but we still aim for 7/8) - i feel like i’ll be moved down another set - do you have any tips for making sure you understand the topic and your best ways to revise maths? :smile:

you can check on my gyg if you want!

will be following this for sure!
Original post by streetdude28
Good luck with your grades!

How in the holy hell are you aiming so high in sciences - can I have some tips pleas??? :grin::wink2:

They’re the grades i need for the courses I want to do at one of the sixth forms I’m applying to! I gotta aim high if I want to get a place😆😆
I guess make sure you understand everything- if you don’t understand say preparing a pure dry salt in chemistry there will probably be a question where you’ve gotta apply your previous knowledge to get the answer. So basically revise everything, if you don’t understand it ask a friend or your teacher to explain it; I suck at trying to learn stuff from the textbook, I’ve got to have someone explain it or I forget. Also do loads of practise questions! There are now quite a lot of questions made for people to prepare for the new gcses so use them! You can then get used to the way you need to phrase answers and vocab you need to use.
Hope this helps! If you have any questions let me know!
Toastiekid x
Original post by clouddbubbles
hey toastie!

i found your gyg and it looks awesome!
mandarin is such a cool language, at my school they offer japanese at gcse and it feels like nobody else does that as a gcse! i didn’t choose japanese however, i chose spanish as my language as i find it very easy :smile:

i’m sorry about your maths teacher - you seem really good and confident at maths! good luck for your next mock, show them all what you can do.

i struggle a bit with maths (i was in top set, now i’m in second set but we still aim for 7/8) - i feel like i’ll be moved down another set - do you have any tips for making sure you understand the topic and your best ways to revise maths? :smile:

you can check on my gyg if you want!

will be following this for sure!

Mandarin is pretty awesome- we’re definitely a minority in the school but it’s good as we have a really small class (like just about 20ppl) where we have a lot of banter 😂
I used to struggle with maths from about year 7-9, I was in one of the two top sets (they’re exact same ability) but I was really struggling to get the grades the rest of the class were getting. I did maths every day over the summer from year nine to ten! I didn’t do much, max ten mins from my textbook improving my speed and accuracy at factorising etc which completely turned around my grade! At the beginning of year 10 I got a 6 in my baseline assessment (sounds bad but it was one of the highest in my year) and since then I’ve made sure I always understood the work in class and completed the extension work. Also if there’s an area I know I’m bad at (e.g: trig graphs!) then I will practise them first in my 9-1 textbook, then my grade 9 targeted textbook. But as the grade 9 textbook is seriously difficult I often go to my teacher at lunch or after school to ask how to do problems. Don’t worry about annoying them, [in my case] the teacher loves maths and is happy to help solve problems! In the end, they do want you to get the best grade😆😆
Good luck and please let me know if you need any help with maths!
Toastiekid X

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending