Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GYG 2017-18 Reach for the A*s...or 9s or...whatever Watch

ReputationRep:

heyyyy

I'm Mez yeah that's my name, try and guess my actual one (bonus points for spelling) im 14 and in year 10! scroll down below to find out more about this gyg and you can find me on insta/snap @mez_merising to see what im upto!

Anyways, here is what I am taking in terms of GCSEs:

Spoiler:
    Show

in order of how enjoyable i find each subject!

AQA Drama (I want a 9)

AQA Chemistry (I want a 9)

AQA Biology (I want a 9)

Edexcel German (I want a 9)

AQA History (I want a 9)

OCR Latin (I want a 9)

OCR Art (I want a 8/9)

Edexcel Maths (I want a 9)

AQA Eng lang (I want a 9)

AQA Eng lit (I want a 8/9)

AQA Physics (I want a 8/9)

What I've achieved so far:

Spoiler:
    Show
    • surviving, and you can too
    • GCSE RS (A*)
    • Duke of Edinburgh Bronze Award (a mess)
    • Grade 5 Piano (ugh)
    • Junior Maths Challenge Silver Award (i didnt know people took this seriously)
    • B1 Language Certificate in French and German (bye bye french)
    • Silver CREST Award (why did i do this)
    • Certificates for Academic Excellence (haha...what)
    • SciChallenge Semifinalists (so close)
    • Qualified First Aider (med school here i come)
    • 6 months volunteering with Brownies (love kids)
    • 1 week volunteering at a pre-school (but so. much. mess.)

And if you wanna know a lil more about me, then look no further:

Spoiler:
    Show
    • I'm a sucker for food. I will eat anything edible. As long as it's halal.
    • Big fangirl (HP, PJO, THG, TMI etc.)
    • Bengali fam where you at? (yep, I'm bilingual!!)
    • Spent my life procrastinating on the internet
    • I wanna go on to study Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Pyschology at A Level and then hopefully study Medicine at Cambridge/QMUL/UCL/Imperial etc.
    • I'm the eldest of 3, and I've got 2 younger sisters.
    • I'm basically blind so I wear glasses.
    • My birthday's 27th Nov so I'm 14 and counting...

ReputationRep:
    subject rants:
    so we're almost at that half term mark, let's 'reflect' or in my case rant about the last couple of weeks

English
    absolute rubbish, my teacher is a mess and her voice makes me fall asleep. it doesnt help that we always have english last period anyway. we've read through two acts of an inspector calls, she made us do some analysis thing but idk what its about. guess i'll have to learn all my english stuff off of youtube or something.

Maths
    same teacher as year 8&9. not as bad as some of my friends maths teachers so its ok. done upper/lower bounds, some algebra things, quadratics, circle stuff.

Biology
    not the best, but i love the subject so it makes it bearable. main thing that interested me was learning about stem cells, so cool.

Chemistry
    actually amazing, got a new teacher who's fab, i think i might acc pass chemistry gcse. done some bonds and nanoparticle stuff

Physics
    a mess. hate my teacher, dont understand anything. just really dislike physics

German
    ok, but grammar's getting to me as well as the translations fgs. still, love it alot and my class is lit

Latin
    getting kinda bored tbh, but its an easy gcse. lit teacher and set to is full of bants

History
    thought it would be bad, but is acc quite good. learnt alot, although still dunno how to write an essay yet

Art
    the bane of my life currently, its ok bc i like art, but im not good at it and am surrounded by amazing artists and im just like omd

Drama
    love love love. we don't even do much but its just yesssss love my teacher and set, going to see a frantic assembly play on thurs so yeah

ReputationRep:
    im obviously going to be following you gurl
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 10 too! Good luck with your subjects

ReputationRep:
    i wish i took my rs exam in yr 9....

how rude of me lol!
    CONGRATS ON THE RS A*!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    tests/exams/imminent doom updates

art sketchbook grades:
    7,8,8,7,6,7 = averaging grade 7

fri 13th oct - chemistry test on bonding, nanoparticles
    RESULT - 33/37 = 89% = grade 9!!

mon 16th oct - physics test ughhhh on forces and their effects
    RESULT - 30/45 = 67% = grade 7 erm well i dont really get physics. totally not crying over this...

tue 7th nov - bio test on cells
    RESULT - 42/53 = 80% = grade 8... not too pleased. would've liked a 9 but hey it's only the beginning!

mon 13th nov - latin translation test
    RESULT - 46/60 = 77% = grade 7

tue 14th nov - german listening/translation/reading test
    RESULT - 30.5/39 = 78% = grade 8

tue 14th nov - history essay 'why clemenceau was salty about the treaty of versailles'
    RESULT - 14/20 = 70% = grade 7

wed 16th nov - maths test ughh
    RESULT - 41/44 = 93% = grade 8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.N123)
    im obviously going to be following you gurl
    thank youuu xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurawatt)
    I'm in year 10 too! Good luck with your subjects
    you too xx

ReputationRep:
    i wish i took my rs exam in yr 9....

how rude of me lol!
    CONGRATS ON THE RS A*!!!!!!
    aww thank you!! i took it as an extra at school

ReputationRep:
    Tues 17th Oct

Late night thoughts... It's kinda late I guess...for me it is anyway. Just realised I haven't packed my bag brb.

Tomorrow's Subjects:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Maths ugh
    Art meh
    History meh
    Physics kill mee
    Drama yass

Although half the year is gone tomorrow as it's a geography field trip for those uneducated people who decided to take geog (no offense) but I don't really see the point in geog tbh.

Wed 18th Oct

Wake up and pray. Get ready etc.
    I don't really do breakfast bc I find it hard to eat so early in the morning. I ate an eclair and a couple of shortbread things.

The perks of going to a grammar school is that my school is an hour away from school so I've gotta get a coach(!!) This gives us time to do any last minute hw or like just sleep.

ReputationRep:
    M a T H s
    was better than I thought, although there was like 10 of us in the lesson. We did some gcse sample paper Qs and it was actually ok for once

A r T
    was literally 10 of us and we just did some of our class work stuff. We spilt dye everywhere

H i S T o R y
    I fell asleep bc again no one was here so we just watched some documentary on the League of Nations.

P H y S i C s
    was actually ok!! And that's saying something bc I hate physics but I acc understood it. We did speed and velocity and we gotta teach it to the rest of our class bc our teacher can't teach.

D R a M a
    we just watched the y13 devised piece which was amazingg

ReputationRep:
    i want to do medicine too! but you seem so clever compared to me! i’m wanting/predicted 8’s and 9’s but not sure if i’m capable as it’s not what im working at, i’m going to take coaching courses in skiing and swimming as a backup because i might want to do sport science or something if i don’t get the grades

(in year 10 and taking english,maths,bio,chem,physics,r e,pe,history,geography,spanish)

wbu guys??
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anyapoundall02)
    i want to do medicine too! but you seem so clever compared to me! i’m wanting/predicted 8’s and 9’s but not sure if i’m capable as it’s not what im working at, i’m going to take coaching courses in skiing and swimming as a backup because i might want to do sport science or something if i don’t get the grades

(in year 10 and taking english,maths,bio,chem,physics,r e,pe,history,geography,spanish)

wbu guys??
    hiya!
    i'm sure you're super clever girl, I mean i havent even been predicted any grades yet XD
    skiing and swimming sounds lit! great extracurriculars, but I'm sure you'll get the grades for medicine xx

How are you finding y10 so far, and what motivated you to wanna do med?

ReputationRep:

tomorrows subjects:

Physics...yipee(!)
    Latin yay
    PE a mess

then I miss German and English bc we are going to see a drama performance for our live theatre thing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mez_merising)
    tues 17th oct 22.28
    late night thoughts... It's kinda late i guess...for me it is anyway. Just realised i haven't packed my bag brb.

tomorrow's subjects:
    Spoiler:
    Show

maths ugh
    art meh
    history meh
    physics kill mee
    drama yass

although half the year is gone tomorrow as it's a geography field trip for those uneducated people who decided to take geog (no offense) but i don't really see the point in geog tbh.

Aight, so before i sleep i get a quote from the qur'an (yes i'm a muslim and no i'm not a terrorist)
    you could do this with any book, and i find it detoxing after setting an alarm and putting my phone on airplane mode. I just flick to any old random page and whatever i first see.

wake up and pray. Get ready etc.
    I don't really do breakfast bc i find it hard to eat so early in the morning. I ate an eclair and a couple of shortbread things.

the perks of going to a grammar school is that my school is an hour away from school so i've gotta get a coach(!!) this gives us time to do any last minute hw or like just sleep. Today imma do some q&a's so you get to know me better.

1. Height
    2. Pets
    3. Location
    4. Eye colour
    5. Hair colour
    6. Fav food
    7. Fav subject
    8. Least fav subject
    9. First fandom
    10. Fav movies
    11. Fav books
    12. Ethnicity
    13. Star sign
    14. Middle name
    15. Instagram

Spoiler:
    Show

1. I think i'm 5'6
    2. None, don't particularly like animals that much tbh
    3. I live in london
    4. Brown
    5. Dark
    6. Idek i'll eat anything if i'm hungry
    7. Drama
    8. Physics
    9. Harry potter my loveeee
    10. Hp series, i really like kingsman. Umm just anything funny
    11. Hp, will grayson will grayson, cassandra clare books, rick riordan books
    12. British bangladeshi
    13. Sagittarius
    14. Don't have one
    15. mez_merising

i love the kingsman movies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mez_merising)
    hiya!
    i'm sure you're super clever girl, I mean i havent even been predicted any grades yet XD
    skiing and swimming sounds lit! great extracurriculars, but I'm sure you'll get the grades for medicine xx

How are you finding y10 so far, and what motivated you to wanna do med?
    aw thank you but i got moved down a set in english and maths 😂😩 year 10 is ok but lots of pressure and stress compared to lower school/ks3!
    i don’t really know why i want to medicine but i’ve always been so fascinated with the subject and being able to help people 👍🏼

wbu?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    cOOLIO

ReputationRep:
    i love the kingsman movies
    yasssss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anyapoundall02)
    aw thank you but i got moved down a set in english and maths 😂😩 year 10 is ok but lots of pressure and stress compared to lower school/ks3!
    i don’t really know why i want to medicine but i’ve always been so fascinated with the subject and being able to help people 👍🏼

wbu?
    completely agree, the workload for y10 is soooo much compare to y9!!
    we don't have sets in our school, but we're all pushed to aim for 8/9s

ReputationRep:
    Thurs 19th Oct

On the coach. I had a doughnut for breakfast (don't judge me)

On the train back from school bc we went to see a drama production which was littttttt

P H y S i C s
    was boring - did something on acceleration

L a T i N
    just tranlsated some more stuff and got a vocab sheet to learn

P H y S i C a L jdsba e D u C a T I o N
    we did table tennis, or we were supposed to be doing it but we ended up trying to hit it through the basketball hoops

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.