The Student Room Group

Part time became full time, bad communication and mental health affected

Hi guys, so I’m currently “part time” employed in a retail sales position, I’ve been here a month and a half, pretty much full time. I’m very outgoing and good with people so I’m naturally good at the job, despite hating retail! Anyway, I started as a temp for the holidays 8 hours a week plus more if needed. They had me in pretty much full time to begin with and I asked to cut down to 20ish hours a week, so I have time to apply for jobs in my desired industry and work on my portfolio. (Obviously I didn’t tell them that). Another reason I want to take less hours is because retail really affects my mental health adversely (I have ocd and can get extremely low).

Anyway, I told them and the rota manager agreed she would do that. The general store manager has now told me I can have a full time position and stay on there cause they like me (I can sell and understand the insane targets we have, with 0 commission). I told him I need to think about it cause I planned on not staying here long. I’ve now noticed my next three weeks ranges from 35-40hour weeks. I’m half furious and half worried. I need to talk to the rota manager again and explain i need 20ish or I’m going to hand in my notice. I am in a safe position to do so right now and am continuously applying for work in my desired industry that won’t make me as miserable.

I guess what I’m asking is how do I go about dealing with this. I’m going to email her tonight but I don’t want to piss her or the general manager off (who offered me the full time position, even tho I’m pretty much doing it already). I may have a lead on a potential new job in my desired field coming up which has me more hopeful and less terrified and miserable. I hope I don’t sound to whiny, I enjoy working and really want to get a job I love, and that doesn’t send my mental health into a spiral. Thanks for reading!
Original post by SourMango
Hi guys, so I’m currently “part time” employed in a retail sales position, I’ve been here a month and a half, pretty much full time. I’m very outgoing and good with people so I’m naturally good at the job, despite hating retail! Anyway, I started as a temp for the holidays 8 hours a week plus more if needed. They had me in pretty much full time to begin with and I asked to cut down to 20ish hours a week, so I have time to apply for jobs in my desired industry and work on my portfolio. (Obviously I didn’t tell them that). Another reason I want to take less hours is because retail really affects my mental health adversely (I have ocd and can get extremely low).

Anyway, I told them and the rota manager agreed she would do that. The general store manager has now told me I can have a full time position and stay on there cause they like me (I can sell and understand the insane targets we have, with 0 commission). I told him I need to think about it cause I planned on not staying here long. I’ve now noticed my next three weeks ranges from 35-40hour weeks. I’m half furious and half worried. I need to talk to the rota manager again and explain i need 20ish or I’m going to hand in my notice. I am in a safe position to do so right now and am continuously applying for work in my desired industry that won’t make me as miserable.

I guess what I’m asking is how do I go about dealing with this. I’m going to email her tonight but I don’t want to piss her or the general manager off (who offered me the full time position, even tho I’m pretty much doing it already). I may have a lead on a potential new job in my desired field coming up which has me more hopeful and less terrified and miserable. I hope I don’t sound to whiny, I enjoy working and really want to get a job I love, and that doesn’t send my mental health into a spiral. Thanks for reading!

I would tell them again, if they're not listening to you on what you want then keep telling them. And if you're in a position where it doesn't matter if you leave, you have nothing to lose. If they like you and you threaten them with 'I'm going to leave' I'm sure they will listen to you then. If it affects your mental health its not worth it :smile:
Original post by catsmeow_at_me
I would tell them again, if they're not listening to you on what you want then keep telling them. And if you're in a position where it doesn't matter if you leave, you have nothing to lose. If they like you and you threaten them with 'I'm going to leave' I'm sure they will listen to you then. If it affects your mental health its not worth it :smile:

Thanks for your reply, turns out the communication between them is abysmal, as apparently I’m now in a full time role I never agreed to and was never told the hours. So the rota manager is acting all surprised and wants to sit down and talk this weekend. I haven’t even signed a new contract! Mine is still the temp work one, I feel like I’ve been mislead/pushes into a full time position I never agreed to or asked for.
This is all too often the case in retail or hospitality jobs. So many companies have poor communication between management which means no one really understands what they're doing and the workers get shafted. I've just left a job where my contract stated it was a part time role, 20-25 hours a week, because I was constantly been given 40+ hours which I couldn't do. Even after speaking with the assistant manager, the person who did the rotas, who promised they'd sort it out and bring my hours back down, it stayed the same and i knew it was only going to get worse over the Christmas period as that's the busiest time of the year.

Essentially companies like these take advantage of the good workers and push and push until they either give an ultimatum or leave. Always put your mental health first, if your job is affecting it that badly then it's truly not worth the stress. I understand having a job is important, but it's not worth damaging yourself.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending