The Student Room Group

Medical Deferral

Need some advice on medical deferral.

March last year I fell ill with a serious condition and had to defer university. I ended up switching university's after being told my condition was fine. In november my condition got a lot worse and I ended up receiving life saving surgery. I am recovering now but have missed out on 2 months worth of university. I don't think I will be able to catch up and was wondering whether deferring my studies a year would effect my student finance, particularly as I have already stopped my studies once.
Thanks in advance
Original post by EB1997
Need some advice on medical deferral.

March last year I fell ill with a serious condition and had to defer university. I ended up switching university's after being told my condition was fine. In november my condition got a lot worse and I ended up receiving life saving surgery. I am recovering now but have missed out on 2 months worth of university. I don't think I will be able to catch up and was wondering whether deferring my studies a year would effect my student finance, particularly as I have already stopped my studies once.
Thanks in advance

Hi EB1997,

Sorry to hear about the difficulties you are currently facing.

Every student is entitled to funding for the duration of their course plus one additional year of funding. As you've deferred once you will have used the additional year of funding.

If you defer again you wouldn't have the automatic right to full funding when you return.

However, if you had to defer due to Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) then we can look to award an extra year of funding if sufficient evidence is received.

There are many different reasons that can be classed as CPR and illness is certainly one of them. You would need to send us a letter detailing your CPR along with any evidence of the circumstances.

Where applicable, we recommend the evidence - is signed and dated; confirms the reason why you could not continue with your studies; and when this took place.

Photocopies of all evidence can be accepted and this evidence can include:

- Medical evidence from a GP on headed paper
- Letter from university/college on headed paper

The above list is not exhaustive and any evidence that can support your claim should be sent to us for consideration.

Having a chat with your university will be useful at this point as they should be able to help you gather the evidence required.

Regards,

Stuart
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending