The Student Room Group

I want to be a father, but I'm short

Scroll to see replies

Okay I'm a female but I want to say something. I don't know if I'm the only girl who has this view but "short" guys who are like 5"6 are never a problem to me. Hec...I don't even like really tall guys because I don't want to strain my neck looking at them. I'm 167.8cm tall which I think is 5"5/5"6? And I actually prefer guys who are closer to my height, and I guess slightly taller but I don't really get bothered by that. A "midget" to me is like 4". Not all women are obsessed with height.
Lol you can always adopt
Original post by Troker101
Just to add on, you seem to be presuming that women are disinterested in short guys, just from what I read earlier. I'm sure there are women who prefer someone tall, but that doesn't mean that height is a sort of deal breaker that will prevent them from having children with you. It's just a preference, for some. If you really think that people are so pretentious to think that short men can't be good fathers, then you might have a warped and narrow view of the world. I don't see how height correlates with your ability to be a good partner and a good father (tall=good father? Give me some evidence to establish that correlation because there is no logic to support that as far as I know), as there are plenty of tall, terrible people who no one would be interested in. Also, the whole thing about passing on the genes to your child...firstly, it is unlikely that 100% of your children will be short because that's now how genetics work, unless everyone in your family, and everyone on their mother's side of the family is short. Even if they are, do you think of it as your fault for inheriting a the short gene, because it sounded like that on your first post. If so, then yes it might be more of an issue with self-esteem and self-perception. I get that you were made fun of for being short. I was made fun of for being tall myself. But if someone is going to make fun of your future children for something they were born with, that is very common and not at all strange or harmful, then it's their fault. Honestly, if your short or tall or average, then cool.

Of course there are women who don't see height as a deal-breaker, but a lot do. It's not that I think that people think short men can't be good fathers, it's that a) they don't see short men as good partners (because generally taller men are more attractive), therefore wouldn't be a good choice to father their children or b) I've heard lots of women don't want short children: there are height requirements on a lot of sperm donation banks ("Applicants should be at least 5'9”) and there is much higher demand for donations from people over 6ft. So I'm assuming that there's a desire for taller children, I may be mistaken though.
I did GCSE biology so I'm clearly an expert, but I thought that the furthest back you could inherit genes from was your grandfather? We had to draw these quadrant diagrams with dominant and recessive genes (I hope you know what I mean) and that lead me to think that because I wasn't 6ft (like my grandfather) that my children would only be as tall as me.
I've said in my response to tiger guy that I exaggerated and I've never felt that it's my father's fault when I've been treated differently due to my height, so frankly it's quite a stupid idea and I was in a bad mood when I wrote this post.
I agree that being made children being made fun of is nothing strange or harmful, but how people have treated myself, my dad, and short men who I've read about online, is something is uncommon among most of the population (although women experience it too: being underestimated etc). Thank you for being polite and respectful in your response.
Original post by Anonymous
Of course there are women who don't see height as a deal-breaker, but a lot do. It's not that I think that people think short men can't be good fathers, it's that a) they don't see short men as good partners (because generally taller men are more attractive), therefore wouldn't be a good choice to father their children or b) I've heard lots of women don't want short children: there are height requirements on a lot of sperm donation banks ("Applicants should be at least 5'9”) and there is much higher demand for donations from people over 6ft. So I'm assuming that there's a desire for taller children, I may be mistaken though.
I did GCSE biology so I'm clearly an expert, but I thought that the furthest back you could inherit genes from was your grandfather? We had to draw these quadrant diagrams with dominant and recessive genes (I hope you know what I mean) and that lead me to think that because I wasn't 6ft (like my grandfather) that my children would only be as tall as me.
I've said in my response to tiger guy that I exaggerated and I've never felt that it's my father's fault when I've been treated differently due to my height, so frankly it's quite a stupid idea and I was in a bad mood when I wrote this post.
I agree that being made children being made fun of is nothing strange or harmful, but how people have treated myself, my dad, and short men who I've read about online, is something is uncommon among most of the population (although women experience it too: being underestimated etc). Thank you for being polite and respectful in your response.

I wasn't saying that being made fun of is nothing strange or harmful, I was saying that being short is nothing strange or harmful. Of course bullying is harmful, but it shouldn't sway you to believe that what they say about your height, making you less than a good partner or father is true. Also, being a woman myself, short men are not ideal for some women, but they are hardly ever excluded from one's pool of options. The very few girls I met who wouldn't consider short guys were conceited air-heads, so I doubt you'd even want them as partners. So most prefer tall, only prefer, but very few would call being short a deal breaker. I get that society idolises certain body types everywhere all the time, As far as biology, your DNA will essentially get more and more mixed with the DNA of your parents, who were mixed with their parents, who were mixed with their parents, and so on and so forth. So you have some of the genes from very old ancestors. If you only inherited all your genes from your parents and grandparents, then you would have to say you're not related to your great grandparents or anyone before them. That's my knowledge, as I am doing biomedical sciences in university. Not saying I know everything, but I've never heard anything other than that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending