The Student Room Group

Questioning my choice of uni

Hello, I really need some advice about my situation at University, I currently Go to De Montfort University and I study Graphic design, I love the course I chose, I love the work I am given, but everything else is the problem. I struggle with my mental health, I have depression and it’s really effecting my uni life to the point where I don’t want to be alive. I’ve almost finished my first year and I’ve only just started to speak to people, most of the time I am alone, and I’m awkward, I’ve hated uni ever since I started, I’ve been so unhappy that I don’t know what to do, I rent out accommodation although I don’t live that far away, I live in Coventry, I rent my accom but I struggle to live there, so I commute which is 2 buses to get there and 2 buses back (I don’t drive yet) and the commuting is making me feel awful too, I don’t know if I should just move to another university and have hope that maybe I’ll be happier and fit in, I was considering Nottingham Trent but I’m not sure if I’m just making a huge mistake by moving
Original post by Simran_kaur20
Hello, I really need some advice about my situation at University, I currently Go to De Montfort University and I study Graphic design, I love the course I chose, I love the work I am given, but everything else is the problem. I struggle with my mental health, I have depression and it’s really effecting my uni life to the point where I don’t want to be alive. I’ve almost finished my first year and I’ve only just started to speak to people, most of the time I am alone, and I’m awkward, I’ve hated uni ever since I started, I’ve been so unhappy that I don’t know what to do, I rent out accommodation although I don’t live that far away, I live in Coventry, I rent my accom but I struggle to live there, so I commute which is 2 buses to get there and 2 buses back (I don’t drive yet) and the commuting is making me feel awful too, I don’t know if I should just move to another university and have hope that maybe I’ll be happier and fit in, I was considering Nottingham Trent but I’m not sure if I’m just making a huge mistake by moving

Hey,

That's sounds like a really rubbish situation. I think the most important thing is getting support from the uni and outside if needed. On the DMU website it shows they have counselling services available; it's very common for people to seek help and i have a few friends who have got support whilst they were at Uni. It really helped, especially as they councillors will know more in depth about your case and can work around to find the best outcome for you. I don't think it would be a good idea to just change Unis and see if things get better, I think you need to get proper support first, especially as you say you love your course. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending