The Student Room Group

Is there something wrong with me?

My problem is, I can't seem to put on weight no matter what I do or what I eat. My weight is 6 stone 9 pounds and I eat twice a day. I am 22 years old and I'm female. I just don't get it. Should I go to the doctors because I feel like I'm gonna end up looking more like a stick than I already do.. I literally had Pizza Hut yesterday and I ate a lot and I still lost 2 pounds .. This is so frustrating :/
Twice a day doesn't sound like a lot. What do you eat in a typical day?
You might need to eat a few more regular meals throughout the day. Going most of the day without eating and then binging on a pizza isn't really sufficient.
Also look into joining a gym or working out at home. Putting on a bit of extra muscle can make a big difference and fill you out.
Reply 2
The only way to gain weight is to eat more calories than you burn over a period of time, if you are only eating 2 meals a day I doubt you are even eating enough calories to maintain your current weight, hence why you lost more. To start with try to eat breakfast, lunch and an evening meal everyday. After a few weeks of getting used to that try to add snacks inbetween meals, and/or slowly increase the amount of food you eat for each meal.
Your doctor may be able to help you but would likely just refer you to a nutritionist so you could just seek out the help of 1 of those and skip going to the doctors.
If you still don;'t gain weight after trying the above then seek the doctors advise as you could have an underlying medical issue.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Twice a day doesn't sound like a lot. What do you eat in a typical day?
You might need to eat a few more regular meals throughout the day. Going most of the day without eating and then binging on a pizza isn't really sufficient.
Also look into joining a gym or working out at home. Putting on a bit of extra muscle can make a big difference and fill you out.

For lunch I usually eat bran flakes and a banana. For dinner its usually takeaways, but I don't eat anything in between meals. I usually drink a lot of water too.
Original post by Nimsy
For lunch I usually eat bran flakes and a banana. For dinner its usually takeaways, but I don't eat anything in between meals. I usually drink a lot of water too.

That really doesn't sound like a lot to me.
Original post by Nimsy

That's basically one meal a day. It doesn't sound like you're trying that hard to be honest.
I would suggest tracking your calories for a week, you may be surprised at how low they are.

Quick Reply

Latest