The Student Room Group

I apologised to her.

I overstepped the mark with this girl I am seeing. It came across as pushing her for commitment, something she's not ready for due to being hurt in the past. But it wasn't my intentions.

I proper overthought the situation. So I text her letting her know I'm just giving her space.

She felt I was giving her the silent treatment due to her reaction which wasn't the case. She felt I was pushing her for something she's not ready for and that she didn't need me to stop talking to her. She wants to take things slower.

So lesson learned. Don't over think.

I apologised about hurting her feelings and how I made her feel without excuses and asked for forgiveness and that I won't go silent or push her again. That's the best thing to do right?
Original post by Anonymous
I overstepped the mark with this girl I am seeing. It came across as pushing her for commitment, something she's not ready for due to being hurt in the past. But it wasn't my intentions.

I proper overthought the situation. So I text her letting her know I'm just giving her space.

She felt I was giving her the silent treatment due to her reaction which wasn't the case. She felt I was pushing her for something she's not ready for and that she didn't need me to stop talking to her. She wants to take things slower.

I apologised about hurting her feelings and how I made her feel without excuses and asked for forgiveness and that I won't go silent or push her again. That's the best thing to do right?

You're right, if she felt hurt by what you did/said it is always good to be the better person and apologise (I've found this out the hard way trust me). It seems as tho you really like this person and given her situation it could be a little hard on you until she is completely comfortable with you, although if you really like her and want to make things work I'm sure she will be worth the wait.
When you think it is a good time, you can bring up the commitment thing again in soft terms, so that you get across you want some level of commitment but don't want to feel as tho you are pushing her into something too soon to quickly.
As for the giving space, rather than saying you will give her space, as her if she wants time to reflect so that she doesn't feel as though you are taking this choice away from her, as if you really like each other I'm sure that you wouldn't want it to go silent for very long :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
I just hope she'll accept my apology. I've not got a reply yet but she was on a night shift. I felt rather than proportionating any blame on her I took responsibility for this whole thing and how she felt as a result.

Whilst my intentions were not to push her into something she doesn't want yet, it came across like that. So I apologised for that too saying none of this will happen again.

You live and you learn as they say?

P.s. Any ideas if she doesn't accept the apology? :frown:

Original post by Amellia123
You're right, if she felt hurt by what you did/said it is always good to be the better person and apologise (I've found this out the hard way trust me). It seems as tho you really like this person and given her situation it could be a little hard on you until she is completely comfortable with you, although if you really like her and want to make things work I'm sure she will be worth the wait.
When you think it is a good time, you can bring up the commitment thing again in soft terms, so that you get across you want some level of commitment but don't want to feel as tho you are pushing her into something too soon to quickly.
As for the giving space, rather than saying you will give her space, as her if she wants time to reflect so that she doesn't feel as though you are taking this choice away from her, as if you really like each other I'm sure that you wouldn't want it to go silent for very long :smile:
Reply 3
I just hope she'll accept my apology. I've not got a reply yet but she was on a night shift. I felt rather than proportionating any blame on her I took responsibility for this whole thing and how she felt as a result.

Whilst my intentions were not to push her into something she doesn't want yet, it came across like that. So I apologised for that too saying none of this will happen again.

tell her in person too not just text

Don't get me wrong, it's always right to apologise if you make the mistake, but don't let everything be blamed on you as this isn't fair in a relationship. Make sure she aware of this subtly. If she doesn't reply I wouldn't push the relationship as even if she is upset, it's wrong to ignore someone you are interested in and is incredibly bad mannered (unless it's something really serious).
My guess is if she likes you too she will accept the apology and move on rather than dwell on it
Reply 5
Don't get me wrong, it's always right to apologise if you make the mistake, but don't let everything be blamed on you as this isn't fair in a relationship. Make sure she aware of this subtly. If she doesn't reply I wouldn't push the relationship as even if she is upset, it's wrong to ignore someone you are interested in and is incredibly bad mannered (unless it's something really serious).
My guess is if she likes you too she will accept the apology and move on rather than dwell on it

She said to me I haven't hurt her feelings, I just put her in an awkward position and confused her by not talking to her after I said I wanted to stick around for long-term and be there for her through thick or thin. But I think it was best to apologise, even if I hadn't. To be honest she hasn't done anything wrong, other than ****-test me with very poor text messages. (I know she's realised that as she's giving her normal messages now).

So I can't allow her to think that I won't walk away if she plays silly games. She mentioned she wasn't around all this week. In conversation I told her that I'll miss her - she's asked me on a date this Friday :smile: How good is that?

Original post by Rhiaaaaa
tell her in person too not just text

When I next see her? How? I don't want to make her feel awkward at all x
If she was hurt in the past, it might be hard for her to accept it. That’s on her, though, not on you.
When we’ve been hurt intentionally in the past it can be hard to differentiate between being hurt accidentally and hurt intentionally.
You did the right thing, just remind her in person. If she’s asked you out again then that’s always a good sign :smile:
there is a fine line between people gaining respect for you, after you apologize.. and apologizing and having the other person loose respect for you.

My view is that in relationships, most of the time the problem is caused by both people - and both people should apologize, even if one is apologizing for a bigger mistake then the other.

Only if its absolutely unequivocally 100% one persons fault, should they be the only one apologizing.

-- also, never grovel.

Apologize briefly, and clearly, then don't do say it again. After that, just show with your actions, rather then tell.
She said to me I haven't hurt her feelings, I just put her in an awkward position and confused her by not talking to her after I said I wanted to stick around for long-term and be there for her through thick or thin. But I think it was best to apologise, even if I hadn't. To be honest she hasn't done anything wrong, other than ****-test me with very poor text messages. (I know she's realised that as she's giving her normal messages now).

So I can't allow her to think that I won't walk away if she plays silly games. She mentioned she wasn't around all this week. In conversation I told her that I'll miss her - she's asked me on a date this Friday :smile: How good is that?

That's great that she's asked you out on a date, I hope you are happy about it! :smile: although that's very good of you to see past that, don't let her think it is okay for her to play games all the time as it will eventually wear you down. It's good that she's seen that she can message you normally now as it will be easier for both of you to carry the relationship forward
Reply 9
Original post by LadyEcliptic
If she was hurt in the past, it might be hard for her to accept it. That’s on her, though, not on you.
When we’ve been hurt intentionally in the past it can be hard to differentiate between being hurt accidentally and hurt intentionally.
You did the right thing, just remind her in person. If she’s asked you out again then that’s always a good sign :smile:

She 100% was hurt in the past, and she has told me it's difficult for her to trust people. I guess I am lucky in that respect, as I know where I stand going forward? I have made it clear that I want to start a relationship with her, and that when the time comes if that's what she wants - she knows my answer. I just need to know going forward, what is the best way to re-assure her? Time is a healer or simply being there?

Yeah I told her to surprise me. I've organised 5 dates now. It's her turn?

Original post by fallen_acorns
there is a fine line between people gaining respect for you, after you apologize.. and apologizing and having the other person loose respect for you.

My view is that in relationships, most of the time the problem is caused by both people - and both people should apologize, even if one is apologizing for a bigger mistake then the other.

Only if its absolutely unequivocally 100% one persons fault, should they be the only one apologizing.

-- also, never grovel.

Apologize briefly, and clearly, then don't do say it again. After that, just show with your actions, rather then tell.

This was caused by both of us for sure, but it show's strength and courage that we wish to see eachother again. She hasn't said directly that she accepts it, but I am sure if she's asked to meet me Friday for dinner or something then she must have accepted it? It was mostly my fault if I am honest. Partially her fault with her **** texts but that's a different story. I'll not overthink it anymore.

That's great that she's asked you out on a date, I hope you are happy about it! :smile: although that's very good of you to see past that, don't let her think it is okay for her to play games all the time as it will eventually wear you down. It's good that she's seen that she can message you normally now as it will be easier for both of you to carry the relationship forward

I am very happy. It was a rather pleasant surprise as I suspected she'd use that Friday evening with friends. I am a bit nervous though as this is starting to get serious right? But not serious in her mind. 6 dates? Hah! I just want to do right by her and I need that guidance from her just as much as myself to reassure me, rather than verbal confirmation. I told her surprise me, let's do whatever you want and she asked if I liked surprises. Does that sound great fun?
I am very happy. It was a rather pleasant surprise as I suspected she'd use that Friday evening with friends. I am a bit nervous though as this is starting to get serious right? But not serious in her mind. 6 dates? Hah! I just want to do right by her and I need that guidance from her just as much as myself to reassure me, rather than verbal confirmation. I told her surprise me, let's do whatever you want and she asked if I liked surprises. Does that sound great fun?

Aw yeah it’s understandable - but don’t keep putting your own needs aside.

Being hurt in the past I do find you will try and push people away to see if they stay. It’s kind of a twisted way of reassuring your brain if someone is gonna stay or leave. It all stems from whatever hurt you’ve been through, but there is only so much reassurance you can give someone and encouragement before they take it upon themselves to sort out their stuff.
So be there, but remember you come first.
That's great that she's asked you out on a date

She actually cancelled the date, as she's picked up some work. But she re-arranged for the next day despite saying she'll be post-night's as she's now off Sunday in lieu. I asked her for confirmation that she's sure she wants to meet. She just warned me her brain won't be very engaging. I am honestly not overthinking but let's see if it happens at all. She said she felt bad for cancelling, but I guess being a Nurse and all.

Aw yeah it’s understandable - but don’t keep putting your own needs aside.

Being hurt in the past I do find you will try and push people away to see if they stay. It’s kind of a twisted way of reassuring your brain if someone is gonna stay or leave. It all stems from whatever hurt you’ve been through, but there is only so much reassurance you can give someone and encouragement before they take it upon themselves to sort out their stuff.
So be there, but remember you come first.

I agree with what your saying, do you find her behaviour acceptable considering the facts? She's obviously been burned hard and she told me how. Obviously I won't do that to her - it's not in my nature. But everything that's coming with this is stress. I think that's why I needed the time away from her and also to make her realise, I would walk. Maybe that's why she's asked me on a date? (Although if you read above - she's re-arranged it)
I agree with what your saying, do you find her behaviour acceptable considering the facts? She's obviously been burned hard and she told me how. Obviously I won't do that to her - it's not in my nature. But everything that's coming with this is stress. I think that's why I needed the time away from her and also to make her realise, I would walk. Maybe that's why she's asked me on a date? (Although if you read above - she's re-arranged it)

It’s really hard to tell. You can’t keep putting your time on hold for when it suits her. If she organises again I would just say it isn’t working. It’s not fair on you to be kept waiting hand on foot. But as typical as it sounds, if your gut is saying something’s up there usually is.
It’s really hard to tell. You can’t keep putting your time on hold for when it suits her. If she organises again I would just say it isn’t working. It’s not fair on you to be kept waiting hand on foot. But as typical as it sounds, if your gut is saying something’s up there usually is.

I've already made plans with someone else, although they aren't concrete so this is a bit of a dilemma. But I am sure she'll meet up with me - I've heard nothing from my friends. It depends on her reasons, because she did say to me last week we couldn't meet up. She now seems keen on that - although strangely that gut instinct has kicked in again. She hasn't opened my messages since 7pm and she said she'd be awake all night, so it seems rather curious...?
are you looking for a pat on the head or something?

Perfect. Mistakes makes perfection as well as a true gentleman.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending