The Student Room Group

best hours to work as a student?

I'm going to have to work about 15 hours a week during uni to meet my accommodation and living costs and i've been worried about my job interfering with uni work and my social life. what are the best shifts to work? maybe a whole day at the weekend, so you can go out one night without having work the next morning? and some evening shifts throughout the week..

how have you found working a similar amount of hours whilst at uni and is your work very flexible about your hours? i'm at m&s just now, just started really, and it would be great if i could get a transfer into the branch in town where i'll be living but i'm not sure its possible - so i'll probably just look for other retail work in town.
Try your university job shop, there may be jobs for students on campus. I work in the uni library, its very well paid, I work for 7 hours a week on nearly twice as much as retail staff, during the day, so it doesnt interfere with my uni work or my social life.
I have one day dedicated to work, so I knock out a good 6-7 hours then. I also work evenings 2 days a week, so that makes 10-11 hours worked.

Just do some evening shifts mid week when there is less going on, and perhaps work weekend mornings? With my evening shifts, I only do a couple of hours to make up the necessary hours, and am usually home by 8:30pm.
Reply 3
i work 20hrs per week,and it doesn't interfere with my uni work. i've been doing the same amount of hours for 2 years. as long as it doesn't interfere with your timetable and you know how to manage your time wisely it shouldn't be a problem. last year i did only weekend hours, this year i do 4hrs/day in the evening (weekdays only).
Reply 4
I work in Coral's on a 16hr contract. Basically if you're a student you usually do the night shifts in the week days which is good because it's really quiet so you can do your work and still get paid for it! They let you transfer bk home for the holidays and there is always hours going spare. I'm sure ladbrokes and hills are the same.
Reply 5
La Trampa
i work 20hrs per week,and it doesn't interfere with my uni work. i've been doing the same amount of hours for 2 years. as long as it doesn't interfere with your timetable and you know how to manage your time wisely it shouldn't be a problem. last year i did only weekend hours, this year i do 4hrs/day in the evening (weekdays only).

Out of interest, what is your job?
Reply 6
last year i worked at a call centre doing inbound and outbound calls. this year again i'm working at a call centre.this year i also help out as a student ambassador at my uni's open days and student visits etc, like giving tours and stuff. i've also got friends who wait tables and they do the same hours i do.

edit: last year from the beginning of term i worked retail as well - blackwell bookshop's busy time and did 16-20hrs then, did them during the week between lectures.
I do 20 hours a week in retail, all day sat & sun and one evening in the week. It's kind lame not having a day off but I need the money to pay my rent!

I wouldn't say it's really affected my work or whatever.
cool, thanks. your replies have been encouraging :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending