The Student Room Group

I went to an Independent Boarding school, ask me anything?

I feel like there is a massive misconception about independent schools, thought answering some questions might help.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sami1815
I feel like there is a massive misconception about independent schools, thought answering some questions might help.

Did you want to, or did your parents want to? In either case, why?
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
Did you want to, or did your parents want to? In either case, why?

My parent's made the application, and at the time I was 11 years old so I was also not particularly concerned about where I went at the time. I do remember that I was excited because I knew some people already going, and loved the campus.

My parent's sent me because they wanted me to succeed not only academically, but socially. The school offered many extracurricular activities beyond just sport, such as CCF, debating etc which I did benefit from

I am rather glad I went, it gave me a lot of good life experience and instilled in me an attitude of handwork and excellence. There is a misconception that we are just spoon fed, more than anything else (even the teaching) why people did well was because the environment encouraged and supported academic excellence.

Happy to answer anything else and I hope that answered your question.
(edited 5 years ago)
ayy me too
My parent's made the application, and at the time I was 11 years old so I was also not particularly concerned about where I went at the time. I do remember that I was excited because I knew some people already going, and loved the campus.

My parent's sent me because they wanted me to succeed not only academically, but socially. The school offered many extracurricular activities beyond just sport, such as CCF, debating etc which I did benefit from

I am rather glad I went, it gave me a lot of good life experience and instilled in me an attitude of handwork and excellence. There is a misconception that we are just spoon fed, more than anything else (even the teaching) why people did well was because the environment encouraged and supported academic excellence.

Happy to answer anything else and I hope that answered your question.

How the school encouraged and supported academic excellence? Specifically, how?
Original post by the_queen
How the school encouraged and supported academic excellence? Specifically, how?

So every 3 weeks we were graded in all our subjects on 1-4 for effort and A-D for attainment. They would then take an average and if you scored say 3.5 for effort you were given a treat etc, treats would vary depending on your boarding house.5 days a week from 7-9 the entire house had to do prep (homework) and rooms were monitored to ensure people were doing something constructive. There were also very few distraction from work, as we did not have to do house work etc we could focus just on our studies. Of course all these factors are environmental, at the end of the day we were expected to do the work, we all had to revise for hours. The only difference is that it was easier to study.

Moreover, everyone was rather intelligent, and putting intelligent people together generally breeds further intelligence. The school was also selective, there was a requirement of 6A's at GCSE to progress to Alevel, though many exceptions were made and this was rarely enforced.
So every 3 weeks we were graded in all our subjects on 1-4 for effort and A-D for attainment. They would then take an average and if you scored say 3.5 for effort you were given a treat etc, treats would vary depending on your boarding house.5 days a week from 7-9 the entire house had to do prep (homework) and rooms were monitored to ensure people were doing something constructive. There were also very few distraction from work, as we did not have to do house work etc we could focus just on our studies. Of course all these factors are environmental, at the end of the day we were expected to do the work, we all had to revise for hours. The only difference is that it was easier to study.

Moreover, everyone was rather intelligent, and putting intelligent people together generally breeds further intelligence. The school was also selective, there was a requirement of 6A's at GCSE to progress to Alevel, though many exceptions were made and this was rarely enforced.

Thank you! Have you been spoon-fed with the knowledge? I mean your teachers gave you all the details in the subjects for the exams, or you have been encouraged to study independantly from the books and resources? Where do you plan to apply for uni?
did you have to do cross country on Wednesday afternoons ?

:holmes:
Thank you! Have you been spoon-fed with the knowledge? I mean your teachers gave you all the details in the subjects for the exams, or you have been encouraged to study independantly from the books and resources? Where do you plan to apply for uni?

At GCSE we were sort of spoon fed because they were essentially just memory tests. We were given extensive resources, such as revision guides etc and were expected to utilise them. There was not much independent study, but at GCSE because the subjects are taught in little detail you do not need to have much independent study.

However at Alevel, there was a massive shift. Most of our teachers expected us to do the majority of work ourselves. In all subjects and especially humanities we were expected to just go through books, research things independently with teachers mainly serving as aids to our independent study.

Iam nearly finished with exams and I applied to Oxford, Durham, Bristol, Warwick, and Exeter. I received rejections from Oxford and Warwick. I have firmed Durham and have Exeter for insurance.
Original post by the bear
did you have to do cross country on Wednesday afternoons ?

:holmes:

We had cross country on tuesday. Did you do a steeplechase, we had one every lent term?
We had cross country on tuesday. Did you do a steeplechase, we had one every lent term?

iirc we never had to do steeplechasing :h:
At GCSE we were sort of spoon fed because they were essentially just memory tests. We were given extensive resources, such as revision guides etc and were expected to utilise them. There was not much independent study, but at GCSE because the subjects are taught in little detail you do not need to have much independent study.

However at Alevel, there was a massive shift. Most of our teachers expected us to do the majority of work ourselves. In all subjects and especially humanities we were expected to just go through books, research things independently with teachers mainly serving as aids to our independent study.

Iam nearly finished with exams and I applied to Oxford, Durham, Bristol, Warwick, and Exeter. I received rejections from Oxford and Warwick. I have firmed Durham and have Exeter for insurance.

Good luck with your new journey!
Are you happy with the new (reformed) A Level?

Are you Turkish?

Thought you were my friend for a second, whom I went to an independent boarding school with haha but you seem to smart to be him
Are you happy with the new (reformed) A Level?

Personally I am not happy with the reforms, I would much rather have had the opportunity to either do well and get some exams out of the way or retake some the following year if needs be. But the majority of people I know are happy, most people struggle in the first year to adjust from GCSE to A level and as such see massive improvements in the second year, I think its just a matter of opinion.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Randyyy
Thought you were my friend for a second, whom I went to an independent boarding school with haha but you seem to smart to be him

No I am not Turkish, did you enjoy your school?
No I am not Turkish, did you enjoy your school?

Good times bad time you know how it is
Original post by Randyyy
Good times bad time you know how it is

Yeah definitely, Though I had so much more fun in the last years than at the start, more freedom etc . Was you school mixed, mine was?
were you really close with your friends? Or did it annoy you spending so much time with them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending