The Student Room Group

Does this count as an Extenuating circumstances ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Samantha2009
Hi yes it does

thanks for replying. Just asking do u have diabities and what uni did u apply to? if you dont mind me asking
Reply 21
Original post by BMNS3242
thanks for replying. Just asking do u have diabities and what uni did u apply to? if you dont mind me asking

Having diabetes doesn't affect your choice of university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't mean to offend but I don't think it counts as an extenuating circumstance since the cause of your GCSE grades isn't being diagnosed with diabetes but rather, your time management after that. It would be though, say, if it has caused you significant pain/rendered you unable to move etc
Reply 23
Original post by Doonesbury
Having diabetes doesn't affect your choice of university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ik it doesnt but im just asking cause i want to know i guess.
Reply 24
Original post by bitter_raabit
I don't mean to offend but I don't think it counts as an extenuating circumstance since the cause of your GCSE grades isn't being diagnosed with diabetes but rather, your time management after that. It would be though, say, if it has caused you significant pain/rendered you unable to move etc

yes but due to me having to make sure that i look after my blood sugars everyday to make sure it doesnt go high or low. i was told by a nurse that i would die if my blood sugar goes high when i was first diagnosed so it kind of left an impression on me. Also having a hypoglycimea in the exam or hypoglcimea can affect exam performance. i did have a hypoglcimea in teh exam but didnt notify them as i didnt want to distrub the exam hall. It was in the last 20 mins
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by BMNS3242
yes but due to me having to make sure that i look after my blood sugars everyday to make sure it doesnt go high or low. Also having a hypoglycimea in the exam or hypoglcimea can affect exam performance. i did have a hypoglcimea in teh exam but didnt notify them as i didnt want to distrub the exam hall. It was in the last 20 mins

yep - the bit about the hypoglycemia would qualify ( I think) but the bit about managing blood sugar level wouldn't.. (I don't think). There has been and are many people with diabetes that are doing just fine with their exams (one diabetic friend of mine got all A* in her GCSEs!) so univerisities may not pay special attention to this, since many people have it as well and have done fine but I thnk you should definitely mention the hypoglycemia and how that has affected your exams
Reply 26
Original post by bitter_raabit
yep - the bit about the hypoglycemia would qualify ( I think) but the bit about managing blood sugar level wouldn't.. (I don't think). There has been and are many people with diabetes that are doing just fine with their exams (one diabetic friend of mine got all A* in her GCSEs!) so univerisities may not pay special attention to this, since many people have it as well and have done fine but I thnk you should definitely mention the hypoglycemia and how that has affected your exams

ah okay thanks for your help
Reply 27
I got a B instead of an A in a mock A level. I need a predicted A to apply for university. I had a bad cold (school know this) during mocks and felt very unwell generally, but I have diabetes too and my sugars were high. When I am unwell, it does seem to make me perhaps more unwell than people without diabetes. I don’t know if universities will take this into consideration. School won’t change the B to an A so the teacher said to apply for extenuating circumstances. I’ve never used my diabetes as an excuse for anything. And I did ok in my other mocks. Any advice?
Original post by vrm99
I got a B instead of an A in a mock A level. I need a predicted A to apply for university. I had a bad cold (school know this) during mocks and felt very unwell generally, but I have diabetes too and my sugars were high. When I am unwell, it does seem to make me perhaps more unwell than people without diabetes. I don’t know if universities will take this into consideration. School won’t change the B to an A so the teacher said to apply for extenuating circumstances. I’ve never used my diabetes as an excuse for anything. And I did ok in my other mocks. Any advice?

Hello
Diabetes does affect your performance
High or low blood sugars are not easy to deal with it’s very hard
You should get both access arrangements and special consideration
Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending