The Student Room Group

Why do Men have to propose ?

I was wondering this, why do Men have to splash out on a expensive ring and take the risk of embrassment? I was watching the World Cup and i see so many Women pundits, footballers doing typical 'male jobs', and wondering why do gender roles towards men still exist ?
Also given Women instigate 70% of divorces in the UK, it's a huge risk for Men nowadays
Original post by Anonymous
I was wondering this, why do Men have to splash out on a expensive ring and take the risk of embrassment? I was watching the World Cup and i see so many Women pundits, footballers doing typical 'male jobs', and wondering why do gender roles towards men still exist ?
Also given Women instigate 70% of divorces in the UK, it's a huge risk for Men nowadays

Um, men don't have to.

They don't have to but yes traditionally, they have - its even tradition or the man to ask the woman's father's permission to marry/propose. - my dad asked my mum's dad's permission before he proposed.

Women can propose but many just choose not to, as I suspect the majority want to be proposed to.
(edited 5 years ago)
Like the person above mentioned ^^ men don't have to and women can but we simply just want to be proposed to and I know many women who would rather have a simple wedding band than an expensive one as long as your intentions are sincere
Original post by lipstickjungle
Like the person above mentioned ^^ men don't have to and women can but we simply just want to be proposed to and I know many women who would rather have a simple wedding band than an expensive one as long as your intentions are sincere

and in turn, the majority of men would rather propose (I would). Yes, it has come about from 100s, if not 1000s of years of tradition, but just because its a long-standing tradition doesn't make it a bad thing, like some would have you believe.
Reply 5
it's not a huge risk in most cases, but you're probably too young to know this yet. most couples will discuss the idea of marriage long before someone proposes; there is no 'omg -- where is this coming from??' moment. the only surprise would be if you discussed marriage previously, and then someone changed their mind.

if you're scared tho, you could always propose with a candied ring and then buy the expensive one after she says 'yes'. or make her propose; it's your relationship.
I was wondering this, why do Men have to splash out on a expensive ring and take the risk of embrassment?

And what was your conclusion?
Ask the man who is the one spending all that money and proposing
oh ffs here we go

I agree with other people said down below, it's tradition, it's not bad and no one's forcing you to propose. I mean, i don't know who you are, but i guess you can initiate the proposal if you don't want a man doing it, lol, if you don't like the concept.:biggrin:
Don't be so hidebound, they don't. I proposed to my husband and he never gave me an engagement ring. I got a boat instead :smile: - much more fun.
Reply 11
Women can absolutely propose I assume however some like me would be afraid to in case they say no or think I'm clingy.

Although men have the same fears when proposing so you ever know I may one day :smile:
Original post by Jack22031994
and in turn, the majority of men would rather propose (I would). Yes, it has come about from 100s, if not 1000s of years of tradition, but just because its a long-standing tradition doesn't make it a bad thing, like some would have you believe.

Most men have stronger knees and can ‘bend down’ for longer periods (definitely more than me )
They dont have to ofc, but if a girl drops down on her knees and asks me to marry her then sorry but no
Isn’t it on the leap year in February where women can propose to men ? ( traditionally that is)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending