The Student Room Group

Getting into Oxford - A Parents Guide

I helped my daughter before and during the Oxford application and interview process, I taught myself what was required and coached her through it to a successful conclusion! She has since graduated from Christchurch 😀 If I can help any other parents by passing on information I acquired please post a question....Parentpower! 💪
Reply 1
Original post by GetIntoOxford
I helped my daughter before and during the Oxford application and interview process, I taught myself what was required and coached her through it to a successful conclusion! She has since graduated from Christchurch 😀 If I can help any other parents by passing on information I acquired please post a question....Parentpower! 💪

Congratulations on your daughter's success :smile:

There's also a few Oxbridge parents active (and a lot more lurking) on TSR, especially in the University of Oxford and University of Cambridge specific forums:smile: - including me...

What was her subject?
Hi there, thanks for the information. Beth studied Theology at Christchurch. She now works in a company that makes artificial intelligence in London 🤗
Reply 3
Hi there, thanks for the information. Beth studied Theology at Christchurch. She now works in a company that makes artificial intelligence in London 🤗

That's a really interesting career direction for a theology grad. Is she directly involved in coding, or is it the more philosophical aspects of AI?
You must be a very proud parent. Please can you advise which resources you used.
Many thanks.
Original post by Doonesbury
That's a really interesting career direction for a theology grad. Is she directly involved in coding, or is it the more philosophical aspects of AI?

More managerial/project management side of things 🙂
Original post by Yoshi123456
You must be a very proud parent. Please can you advise which resources you used.
Many thanks.

I used my own initiative, researched the prospective course, the books the tutors had written, asked questions of admissions. It’s amazing what information you can glean when you put your mind to it. Eg I was told if you take 4 A levels your offer will be 4 As but we accept in 3 As but that’s if you only take 3 A levels not 4.My daughter immediately dropped 1 A level to give herself a better chance of getting 3 As which she did. Ridiculous system. I would advise that you check with the individual college before taking such action as their view may differ.
Reply 7
I used my own initiative, researched the prospective course, the books the tutors had written, asked questions of admissions. It’s amazing what information you can glean when you put your mind to it. Eg I was told if you take 4 A levels your offer will be 4 As but we accept in 3 As but that’s if you only take 3 A levels not 4.My daughter immediately dropped 1 A level to give herself a better chance of getting 3 As which she did. Ridiculous system. I would advise that you check with the individual college before taking such action as their view may differ.

I'm not aware of many Oxford colleges making 4 A-level offers for Theology. Perhaps @BrasenoseAdm can confirm?

But yes, 3 A-levels are sufficient :smile:. Both Oxford and Cambridge are looking for quality not quantity. And especially for humanities 3 A-levels are common.
(edited 5 years ago)
Thank you!
Original post by Doonesbury
I'm not aware of many Oxford colleges making 4 A-level offers for Theology. Perhaps @BrasenoseAdm can confirm?

But yes, 3 A-levels are sufficient :smile:. Both Oxford and Cambridge are looking for quality not quantity. And especially for humanities 3 A-levels are common.

Hello.

We're also not aware of any colleges making 4 A-level offers for Theology. Earth Sciences has specified a standard offer of A*AA or AAAA and this can been seen in the prospectus, but Theology does not have the same option listed. Brasenose does not offer either of these subjects and so we can't really provide any direct insight into this.

Our understanding is that, where an applicant is taking all of their A-levels at the same time, their offer should be based only on three A-levels, but it is possible that they may specify which three. Certainly taking four A-levels should not be required for any subject.

Brasenose Admissions
My son received a 3 A level offer although he was doing 4, from Caius. Sadly, when push came to shove, poor performance in one Geography paper, saw the end of his Cambridge dream. Like the OP, I too spent many an hour researching, attending college open days with him, supporting him through the whole process, and we were all delighted when he got that all important offer.

Maybe he was unlucky, maybe it it’s just as well, we will never know, but it’s a cruel blow after all the hard work. It’s the worst I’ve felt as a parent, watching him deal with the rejection. My advice to parents is to try and manage expectations. It’s hard not to get excited about it, imagining what it’s going to be like and think it’s going to be alright on the night, 70% of the time it is. But best laid plans can and do go wrong, then us parents are needed more than ever to help them onto a different track and hopefully one they can enjoy just as much.

It’s only 3 weeks ago that the results came out and it’s been a very emotional, stressful time. He seems happy with his choices now and learned some valuable lessons, at some cost. There’s only a finite amount we can do as parents and ultimately it’s down to our children but I still find myself wondering if there was more I should’ve done. Suffice to say it’s the turn of my second born and guess where he would like to go! I’ll be busy managing my expectations.....just in case!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending