The Student Room Group

Need advice on job situation

So I’m going to uni in September for media hair and makeup and it’s a very demanding course meaning I’ll be there most of my time. I also have a job 15 hours a week (although how they do the royals it works out that I work 20 hours one week and 10 the next) and other commitments such as dancing
(edited 5 years ago)
Media hair and makeup is a degree? For goodness sake.
Ditch the course, get an apprenticeship in your subject
Reply 3
Original post by Andrew97
Media hair and makeup is a degree? For goodness sake.

Yes. It is a degree. How do you think people working in the prosthetics industry for big movies and series get their experience and training. There is such a degree as a Bachelor of Arts so don’t be so judgmental and rude over MY choice of DEGREE
Reply 4
Original post by hello_shawn
Ditch the course, get an apprenticeship in your subject

My first thought was apprenticeship but I want to work doing the SFX makeup in films and need my degree and training for that
You're better off getting an apprenticeship (or a job) in that subject like a previous user stated; as harsh as this sounds going to uni for a degree in media hair and make-up isn't worth it as you'll most likely waste a lot of money on it. If you do choose to go to uni for that degree, you may regret it later when you can't find a decent job (whilst being stuck paying off student loans).
Reply 6
Original post by sadsushi
You're better off getting an apprenticeship (or a job) in that subject like a previous user stated; as harsh as this sounds going to uni for a degree in media hair and make-up isn't worth it as you'll most likely waste a lot of money on it. If you do choose to go to uni for that degree, you may regret it later when you can't find a decent job (whilst being stuck paying off student loans).

The common misconception of a hair and makeup degree is that it’s basic makeup and some hair styling, I will be learning how to mould and make prosthetics from silicone, hair styling and cutting including wigs, beards and moustache, as well as application of prosthetics for movies. I want my career to be working in big budget movies creating the special fx makeup, characters and monsters. This is difficult to get into without a degree and the full training required which I will only gain from the degree. Thanks for your advice though
Hi there Lydia,

It sounds like you're not enjoying your job like you used to, and you don't need added stress on top of a degree course! If I would you, I would find another job with fewer hours ready for September, whether that be course-related or not!

If you need advice about getting a part-time job whilst at uni, let me know!

Hope that helps!
Harriet :smile:
First Year Photography Student and Student Ambassador at Plymouth College of Art
Reply 8
Original post by Plymouth College Of Art
Hi there Lydia,

It sounds like you're not enjoying your job like you used to, and you don't need added stress on top of a degree course! If I would you, I would find another job with fewer hours ready for September, whether that be course-related or not!

If you need advice about getting a part-time job whilst at uni, let me know!

Hope that helps!
First Year Photography Student and Student Ambassador at Plymouth College of Art

Okay that’s great thank you so much for your advice! How many hours would you advise for a job whilst at uni?
Hi again Lydia,

No worries, and that all depends on whether you need the extra money or just want some extra income to save up/ be able to treat yourself. A lot of students find that getting a job at university that is flexible enough to work around your uni schedule is hard! I tend to work about 4 hours a week, but this depends on what events are happening, and whether I have deadlines or other commitments. It depends a lot on the contact hours of your degree. Most people recommend working more in the first year, slightly less in the second year and then not at all in the third year, if you can afford to.

If you only need a bit of extra money, I recommend looking into handing out flyers for companies and/or working as a rep for events or nightlife venues, as they often need extra staff and these tend to be really flexible and don’t require previous experience. However, if you were looking for something a little less daunting, I would look into small independent businesses near your accommodation and uni, as they tend to need people to cover shifts or permanent workers, and are usually understanding and flexible when you say you’re at uni. Pubs are pretty good too, as the shifts are usually in the evening, which means avoiding conflicting lectures.

Jobs that are available at your university are usually great because the uni understands that you have other commitments, and also that most students like to go home during the holidays. I personally work here at PCA as a Student Ambassador, which has really flexible hours and gives me the freedom to work as little or as often as I want to. The role is usually one that all universities have, with varied responsibilities; the most common of these being working on Open Days, meeting and greeting, and helping potential students and their families and friends find where to go, etc.

This all depends on your uni, and the area, generally. It also depends on how much you want to work, previous experience and what you're willing to do!

Hopefully, someone from your uni will be able to point you in the right directions, too.

Good luck on your job hunt!

Hope that helps!
Harriet
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Plymouth College Of Art
Hi again Lydia,

No worries, and that all depends on whether you need the extra money or just want some extra income to save up/ be able to treat yourself. A lot of students find that getting a job at university that is flexible enough to work around your uni schedule is hard! I tend to work about 4 hours a week, but this depends on what events are happening, and whether I have deadlines or other commitments. It depends a lot on the contact hours of your degree. Most people recommend working more in the first year, slightly less in the second year and then not at all in the third year, if you can afford to.

If you only need a bit of extra money, I recommend looking into handing out flyers for companies and/or working as a rep for events or nightlife venues, as they often need extra staff and these tend to be really flexible and don’t require previous experience. However, if you were looking for something a little less daunting, I would look into small independent businesses near your accommodation and uni, as they tend to need people to cover shifts or permanent workers, and are usually understanding and flexible when you say you’re at uni. Pubs are pretty good too, as the shifts are usually in the evening, which means avoiding conflicting lectures.

Jobs that are available at your university are usually great because the uni understands that you have other commitments, and also that most students like to go home during the holidays. I personally work here at PCA as a Student Ambassador, which has really flexible hours and gives me the freedom to work as little or as often as I want to. The role is usually one that all universities have, with varied responsibilities; the most common of these being working on Open Days, meeting and greeting, and helping potential students and their families and friends find where to go, etc.

This all depends on your uni, and the area, generally. It also depends on how much you want to work, previous experience and what you're willing to do!

Hopefully, someone from your uni will be able to point you in the right directions, too.

Good luck on your job hunt!

Hope that helps!
Harriet

Thank you so much! I’ll definitely look into some of these
No worries at all!

Good luck for September!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending