Foundation Year in Medicine - Leeds Transfer from University of Bradford Watch

University of Bradford
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Sarah.6816)
Hi, I'm currently in year 12 and doing my A-Levels (Bio, Chem and Maths) and would like to study Medicine. I don't have the GCSE entry requirements to directly get on the Medicine course at Leeds however I came across the foundation year to medicine course at Bradford and would like to know that if you successfully pass the foundation year but still dont have the GCSE requirements would you still be allowed onto the course as Leeds also look at GCSEs
Hello

The transfer to Leeds for the MBChB depends on a number of factors:
1. You need to meet the Widening Participation Criteria found on the course page - Foundation in Clinical Sciences / Medicine. These are subject to annual review.
2. Strong academic performance in the Foundation Year - overall average of 70%+, achieve 70%+ in the Chemistry module, pass all modules at first attempt.
3. Succesfully complete a BMAT (this will take place in the second semester of the FY) - there is no pass mark as such but will be complied with academic performance.
4. Application to Leeds - including references and a new personal statement.
5. Interview with Leeds Medical School Admissions team.

Please note, the admissions process for the transfer to Leeds for the MBChB will not look at your previous qualifications at Level 3 or Level 2. However, you will needs GCSE grade C in English, Maths, Biology and Chemistry at Grade C or above to be considered for the Foundation Year.

Please see further details about the course on our Official Thread.

*Please note, the transfer to Leeds is never guaranteed*

Thanks
Joe
alexandria51201
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by University of Bradford)
Hi

Essentially there are 3 routes around Clinical Sciences at Bradford:

Route 1: Direct entry into Year 1 of the Clinical Sciences BSc is suitable for applicants who wish to study a medically-related degree.

Route 2: Entry via the Foundation year is suitable for applicants who do not have science A levels or the entry requirements for Year 1. Route 2 can lead directly into the BSc in Clinical Sciences or other health-related courses at Bradford or other UK institutions.

Route 3: Entry via Route 3 into the Foundation year is for applicants who fulfil our widening participation criteria as well as the standard academic and non-academic entry requirements. Route 3 provides transfer opportunities for some students to the MBChB programme at Leeds Medical School.

The transfer to Leeds from the Foundation year is never guaranteed and only those who fulfil the widening participation criteria are eligible for the transfer.

Graduate Entry Medicine (GEM) is an option for graduates to study an accelerated Medicine course at a university in the UK. You will need to contact medical schools who offer GEM to see what they would require.

30-40% of Clinical Science BSc graduates would usually go on to study Medicine as a graduate.
Please note, the Clinical Sciences BSc at Bradford would also be suitable for most Dental Schools as well.

You will need to contact medical schools to ask if they would accept the Foundation in Clinical Sciences for entry into their undergraduate medical degrees.

Cheers

Joe
Hi thank you so much for the reply? Would you be able to tell me how you are eligible for the widening participation criteria? Many thanks
University of Bradford
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by alexandria51201)
Hi thank you so much for the reply? Would you be able to tell me how you are eligible for the widening participation criteria? Many thanks
Hi

The Widening Participation Criteria can be found in a word document on the course page on our website - Foundation in Clinical Sciences / Medicine.
Please note, the criteria can change year on year so please keep checking the course page for any updates.

Thanks
Joe
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (56)
8.16%
I used to but I don't now (17)
2.48%
No, but I want to start (257)
37.46%
No, I am unable to (163)
23.76%
No, I chose not to (193)
28.13%