The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sarah.6816
Hi, I'm currently in year 12 and doing my A-Levels (Bio, Chem and Maths) and would like to study Medicine. I don't have the GCSE entry requirements to directly get on the Medicine course at Leeds however I came across the foundation year to medicine course at Bradford and would like to know that if you successfully pass the foundation year but still dont have the GCSE requirements would you still be allowed onto the course as Leeds also look at GCSEs

Hello :smile:

The transfer to Leeds for the MBChB depends on a number of factors:
1. You need to meet the Widening Participation Criteria found on the course page - Foundation in Clinical Sciences / Medicine. These are subject to annual review.
2. Strong academic performance in the Foundation Year - overall average of 70%+, achieve 70%+ in the Chemistry module, pass all modules at first attempt.
3. Succesfully complete a BMAT (this will take place in the second semester of the FY) - there is no pass mark as such but will be complied with academic performance.
4. Application to Leeds - including references and a new personal statement.
5. Interview with Leeds Medical School Admissions team.

Please note, the admissions process for the transfer to Leeds for the MBChB will not look at your previous qualifications at Level 3 or Level 2. However, you will needs GCSE grade C in English, Maths, Biology and Chemistry at Grade C or above to be considered for the Foundation Year.

Please see further details about the course on our Official Thread.

*Please note, the transfer to Leeds is never guaranteed*

Thanks
Joe
Original post by University of Bradford
Hi :smile:

Essentially there are 3 routes around Clinical Sciences at Bradford:

Route 1: Direct entry into Year 1 of the Clinical Sciences BSc is suitable for applicants who wish to study a medically-related degree.

Route 2: Entry via the Foundation year is suitable for applicants who do not have science A levels or the entry requirements for Year 1. Route 2 can lead directly into the BSc in Clinical Sciences or other health-related courses at Bradford or other UK institutions.

Route 3: Entry via Route 3 into the Foundation year is for applicants who fulfil our widening participation criteria as well as the standard academic and non-academic entry requirements. Route 3 provides transfer opportunities for some students to the MBChB programme at Leeds Medical School.

The transfer to Leeds from the Foundation year is never guaranteed and only those who fulfil the widening participation criteria are eligible for the transfer.

Graduate Entry Medicine (GEM) is an option for graduates to study an accelerated Medicine course at a university in the UK. You will need to contact medical schools who offer GEM to see what they would require.

30-40% of Clinical Science BSc graduates would usually go on to study Medicine as a graduate.
Please note, the Clinical Sciences BSc at Bradford would also be suitable for most Dental Schools as well.

You will need to contact medical schools to ask if they would accept the Foundation in Clinical Sciences for entry into their undergraduate medical degrees.

Cheers

Joe

Hi thank you so much for the reply? Would you be able to tell me how you are eligible for the widening participation criteria? Many thanks
Original post by alexandria51201
Hi thank you so much for the reply? Would you be able to tell me how you are eligible for the widening participation criteria? Many thanks

Hi

The Widening Participation Criteria can be found in a word document on the course page on our website - Foundation in Clinical Sciences / Medicine.
Please note, the criteria can change year on year so please keep checking the course page for any updates.

Thanks
Joe
Hi, I am also planning to do the same but not sure how to start. I would greatly appreciate if you could spare 5 minutes of your time to give some advice.
Original post by ricco3415
Hi, I am also planning to do the same but not sure how to start. I would greatly appreciate if you could spare 5 minutes of your time to give some advice.

Hello @ricco3415

Have you made an application?

If not, you will need to visit the UCAS website, create an account and submit an application. The application will include your qualifications (predicted or actual), references and a personal statement.

The entry requirements and the widening participation criteria for the course can be found on the course page here - Foundation in Clinical Sciences / Medicine.

The course code is B991.

Thank you

Joe
Do you know if other unis except Leeds and Sheffield accept this foundation to study medicine?
Original post by Smile0506
Hello, I recently completed my foundation year in medicine at the Universty of Bradford; I successfully transferred to the University of Leeds this year. If you have any question, feel free to post here and I will try my best to reply as soon as possible :smile:
Original post by Smile0506
Hello, I recently completed my foundation year in medicine at the Universty of Bradford; I successfully transferred to the University of Leeds this year. If you have any question, feel free to post here and I will try my best to reply as soon as possible :smile:

I really think that this is the only way for me to get into medicine. Do they look at your a level and GCSE grades? Is it really hard? What are the chances of getting in? Please do let me know
Original post by jiminie1
Do you know if other unis except Leeds and Sheffield accept this foundation to study medicine?

Hi, thanks for the reply. Did you study chemistry and biology at A level?
Hi There,

I have heard that students could also transfer to Sheffield university and other universities also recognise the foundation year. Is this true and is the process the same?
Original post by I_A_786
Hi There,

I have heard that students could also transfer to Sheffield university and other universities also recognise the foundation year. Is this true and is the process the same?

Students are able to use the Foundation in Clinical Sciences / Medicine to make an application for the University of Sheffield Medical School - there are limited places which will consider this qualification.

These places are limited to widening participation students - and you will need to contact them to understand their admissions policy.

This qualification may be able to be considered for other medical schools although you will need to check their entry requirements and possibly contact those who you are interested in applying to.

Thanks
Joe

Students are able to use the Foundation in Clinical Sciences / Medicine to make an application for the University of Sheffield Medical School - there are limited places which will consider this qualification.

These places are limited to widening participation students - and you will need to contact them to understand their admissions policy.

This qualification may be able to be considered for other medical schools although you will need to check their entry requirements and possibly contact those who you are interested in applying to.

Thanks
Joe

Thanks for the quick reply :smile:

Do you know any other universities which allow transfer onto medicine with this foundation year for students which meet the widening participation criteria?

Thank you
Original post by I_A_786
Thanks for the quick reply :smile:

Do you know any other universities which allow transfer onto medicine with this foundation year for students which meet the widening participation criteria?

Thank you

The official collaborations are between University of Leeds and the University of Sheffield.
There may be other medical schools who will consider this qualification for entry on to their undergraduate medical programmes, but we do not have access to other schools' entry requirements.

I would consider contacting medical schools you are interested in and checking their entry requirements to see if they can accept this qualification.

Thanks

Joe
Hello, can anyone tell me how you are assessed during this course? like is it coursework based or assessment based? I have read about the modules and specification that is listed on the website but it doesn't really state how you are assessed... like is all the chemistry content considered as one module? therefore will there be one exam on all of the chemistry content? or will there be several exams for the chemistry content split into modules.... I hope this question makes sense lol.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by drenkmenk
Hello, can anyone tell me how you are assessed during this course? like is it coursework based or assessment based? I have read about the modules and specification that is listed on the website but it doesn't really state how you are assessed... like is all the chemistry content considered as one module? therefore will there be one exam on all of the chemistry content? or will there be several exams for the chemistry content split into modules.... I hope this question makes sense lol.

You will undertake 6 modules:

Health and Society - semester 1 - report; semester 2 - MCQ exam
Personal and Professional Development - Portfolio, presentations, group work, reflective work
Chemistry for Clinical Sciences - semester 1 - MCQ exam; semester 2 - MCQ and Calculations exam
Laboratory and Study Skills for Clinical Sciences / Medicine - semester 1 - Maths short answer exam; semester 2 - laboratory report, reflective case report, anatomy spot test.
Biology for Clinical Sciences - semester 1 - MCQ exam; semester 2 - MCQ exam
Special Studies (Foundation) - Information leaflet, descriptive essay.

Please note, all course content and assessment methods are reviewed annually, therefore this may change for the 2019 intake.

Thanks
Joe
(edited 4 years ago)
When would you sit the bmat or U.Kcat for the application to the universities? Thank you

Personal and Professional Development - Portfolio, presentations, group work, reflective work
Chemistry for Clinical Sciences - semester 1 - MCQ exam; semester 2 - MCQ and Calculations exam
Laboratory and Study Skills for Clinical Sciences / Medicine - semester 1 - Maths short answer exam; semester 2 - laboratory report, reflective case report, anatomy spot test.

Please note, all course content and assessment methods are reviewed annually, therefore this may change for the 2019 intake.

Thanks
Joe

Thanks
Joe

Thanks for the reply Joe, just another quick question. Is practical lab work and assessment part of the biology and chemistry studies?
Original post by Post-16-student
When would you sit the bmat or U.Kcat for the application to the universities? Thank you

Hiya :smile:

If you are intending to transfer to the University of Leeds as part of the Widening Participation collaboration for the MBChB programme, then you would complete a BMAT exam during the second semester of the Foundation in Clinical Sciences / Medicine - usually around February/March. This would be organised by the University of Leeds.

If you are intending to transfer to another Medical School, you would need to contact their admissions team to establish which exam they require and when they would expect you to sit it.

As a course, we don't require you to possess a BMAT or similar to study the Foundation in Clinical Sciences / Medicine.

Thanks
Joe
Original post by drenkmenk
Thanks for the reply Joe, just another quick question. Is practical lab work and assessment part of the biology and chemistry studies?

You will undertake practical lab sessions as part of both modules. At present, the assessment method is as above - however it's subject to change.

Thanks
Joe
That’s great thank you for the information, do they still have a look at your gcse and a level grades or do they just focus on the foundation year. Also is it hard to get into medicine though foundation year and what if you do good and still don’t get in?
Hiya :smile:

If you are intending to transfer to the University of Leeds as part of the Widening Participation collaboration for the MBChB programme, then you would complete a BMAT exam during the second semester of the Foundation in Clinical Sciences / Medicine - usually around February/March. This would be organised by the University of Leeds.

If you are intending to transfer to another Medical School, you would need to contact their admissions team to establish which exam they require and when they would expect you to sit it.

As a course, we don't require you to possess a BMAT or similar to study the Foundation in Clinical Sciences / Medicine.

Thanks
Joe
Hi again, I was just wondering that the website stated that you need references when applying to Leeds. Where do you get these references from. Also it states that you need to make a completely new personal statement. Can you still use the same work experience on your new personal statement or do you need to get more?

Thank you :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending