The Student Room Group

Access to social sciences and GCSE maths and English 🙈

So today I have enrolled to start an access into social science course and also do GCSE maths and English alongside 😬.. the college have warned me that it’s going to be very hard work and have put me on a 6 week trail to see if I can cope with the workload ..
Anyone else done the same and been successful ??
I’m also a mother to 2 kids age 7 and nearly 4, that are both at full time school and Nursery

Thanks in advance
Original post by Janestephanie
So today I have enrolled to start an access into social science course and also do GCSE maths and English alongside 😬.. the college have warned me that it’s going to be very hard work and have put me on a 6 week trail to see if I can cope with the workload ..
I’m also a mother to 2 kids age 7 and nearly 4, that are both at full time school and Nursery

Thanks in advance

It is going to be bloody hard work, yes. How long ago is it since you were last in education? What did you get for your GCSE maths and English the first time round?

I think the key, particularly having children, is to set a routine early which builds study into your life. It's no good trying to fit the study around your life if you want good results - it'll never happen that way. You need to set aside time every day where it's 'protected' study time - and the kids need to know that when Mummy's working, she's working - she's there in body but not in spirit! Otherwise, you'll end up doing the odd chore, or catching up on something at home and suddenly, bang: the study time is over with no study accomplished.

It might also help to set up an area at home which you use exclusively for academic work, if you can. As usual, good attendance at your course is usually correlated with good results - try not to miss too much where possible.
Thank you so much , I really determined to success. I thought as much that it’s going to be hard .
Last time I was in education was over 15 years ago , I did enroll to do GCSE English 2 years ago but due to a few personal issues at the time I had to pull out , thankfully life is a lot smoother now .
1st time round I got a D in English and maths E , I was predicated a B in maths but totally messed the exam up.
im going to be doing my access and GCSE’s over 2 and half days so I’m planning to use the other 2 and half Dad while the children are at school to spend in the library and study and also a Saturday morning while they are with their father . Of course I know I may need more time than that so setting up a study area at home and explain to the children mummy is working seems like an amazing idea! Thanks so much .
and hoping being well organised is the key thanks again x
Reply 3

Thanks in advance

I can't add anything useful to what Reality Check said above, which is great advice - just want to wish you all the best. I finished Access to Humanities & Social Science in June having done GCSE Maths alongside it. I don't have kids and was lucky enough to be able to stop work to focus on it full time, so my situation was very different, but your determination will get you through! There will be times when you'll feel very frustrated and bogged down with everything you have to do, but keep your sights set on your goals and you'll be fine. If you can, try to get your Access assignments done early; don't put them off, especially towards the end of the course when you'll need to set aside revision time for the GCSEs. Best of luck! :smile:
I did the access course, but with functional skills in maths and English instead, which is supposed to be similar. It was hard work, but if you stay organised it's doable.
Thank you so much , I really determined to success. I thought as much that it’s going to be hard .
Last time I was in education was over 15 years ago , I did enroll to do GCSE English 2 years ago but due to a few personal issues at the time I had to pull out , thankfully life is a lot smoother now .
1st time round I got a D in English and maths E , I was predicated a B in maths but totally messed the exam up.
im going to be doing my access and GCSE’s over 2 and half days so I’m planning to use the other 2 and half Dad while the children are at school to spend in the library and study and also a Saturday morning while they are with their father . Of course I know I may need more time than that so setting up a study area at home and explain to the children mummy is working seems like an amazing idea! Thanks so much .
and hoping being well organised is the key thanks again x

You're absolutely welcome, and best of luck with it. I hadn't replied earlier because I didn't know you'd posted. Just a tip: if you post in future and want someone to know that you've replied to them or something, either reply quoting the post, or use @ and their username, eg @Reality Check.

Again, very best of luck. Just come back to us if we can help you any further.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending