The Student Room Group

Straining to pass urine - normal?

Hello, I'm a 21 year old female and recently I've noticed that sometimes I need to strain when I'm urinating. Most of the time I can pee normally and basically without any effort, and other times it feels like I physically have to make the effort to pee and to get all the pee out and at times it feels like it's not completely out. It doesn't hurt to pee and I have no itching etc. Is this normal since it doesn't happen all the time, or should I be worried/keep an eye on it?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, I'm a 21 year old female and recently I've noticed that sometimes I need to strain when I'm urinating. Most of the time I can pee normally and basically without any effort, and other times it feels like I physically have to make the effort to pee and to get all the pee out and at times it feels like it's not completely out. It doesn't hurt to pee and I have no itching etc. Is this normal since it doesn't happen all the time, or should I be worried/keep an eye on it?

This may well be a dumb question, but do you actually need to pee when you are straining? Obviously if you don't really need to pee it's going to be harder. On a similar note to that it could be that you are getting some bladder irritation that feels similar to that need to pee feeling when you don't actually need to pee. Some people even find that being aroused gives a feeling a bit like needing to pee.

I would just keep an eye on it and see if it improves by itself. If it doesn't you might want to check in with a GP at some point just to be sure.

If you do start getting it that you actually can't pee see somebody kinda sharpish cos that can start causing issues from that build up of pee sat in you. Likewise if other symptoms start up like pain or an odd colour or smell go get it checked.
Reply 2
Original post by Kindred
This may well be a dumb question, but do you actually need to pee when you are straining? Obviously if you don't really need to pee it's going to be harder. On a similar note to that it could be that you are getting some bladder irritation that feels similar to that need to pee feeling when you don't actually need to pee. Some people even find that being aroused gives a feeling a bit like needing to pee.

I would just keep an eye on it and see if it improves by itself. If it doesn't you might want to check in with a GP at some point just to be sure.

If you do start getting it that you actually can't pee see somebody kinda sharpish cos that can start causing issues from that build up of pee sat in you. Likewise if other symptoms start up like pain or an odd colour or smell go get it checked.

No I do need to pee. I have the urge to pee just like when it happens normally, but when I sit down to do it it feels like there's a blockage. I still have the feeling where I need to pee though and well...a normal amount of pee does come out.

But yes I'll keep an eye on it
Sounds like a UTI. GP will prescribe antibiotics to get rid.
In the meantime you could drink cranberry juice to make it easier going to the toilet
Reply 4
Sounds like a UTI. GP will prescribe antibiotics to get rid.
In the meantime you could drink cranberry juice to make it easier going to the toilet

But wouldn't a UTI have more constant symptoms? This definitely doesn't happen everytime I need to pee but it's got to the point where I do notice it's more than a one-off thing.
Reply 5
But wouldn't a UTI have more constant symptoms? This definitely doesn't happen everytime I need to pee but it's got to the point where I do notice it's more than a one-off thing.

If it's happening on and off for a long period of time it's unlikely to be a UTI. If it's started recently (past few days/ week ish) but is not every time it could still be a uti. Utis usually present with pain or burning or needing to pee more frequently, but especially in early stages it can present a bit differently. Sometimes a mild uti will pass by itself or sometimes it will stick around and get worse until you get antibiotics. If you think it might be a UTI I would book an appointment with you GP and pop into a pharmacy in the meantime.

Basically unless this goes away by itself in I dunno say a month you should really be seeing a GP anyway just to be safe and see if they can do anything to relieve the issue so you might as well just go see them whenever is the next convenient moment for you or they are next available.

When I had a UTI, I waited 3/4 days for my body to get rid of it but didn't seem to get any better.

However there were some times passing urine was easier than other times but it was still a UTI for me when I visited my GP.

Whatever it is, I'd visit the doctors regardless. Even if it's nothing, it's better safe than sorry.

Quick Reply

Latest