The Student Room Group

I can't afford to pay for my a level exams!

I want to self teach and sit my exams for 3 A levels as a private candidate. Unfortunately, my parents don't want to pay for all my exams as they see it as a gamble. I don't mind working while I self teach however I wouldn't be able to make enough to pay for the exams before the late deadlines for most exam centres. My only other option is to get a loan and pay it during the course of the year, but I'm worried that this is also a risk. Unless there are exam centres that allow you to pay the fee throughout the year not all at once, then I'm not going to be able to sit the exams. What do I do?? I should also mention that my old school refuses to allow me to sit my exams there.
Original post by Anonymous
I want to self teach and sit my exams for 3 A levels as a private candidate. Unfortunately, my parents don't want to pay for all my exams as they see it as a gamble. I don't mind working while I self teach however I wouldn't be able to make enough to pay for the exams before the late deadlines for most exam centres. My only other option is to get a loan and pay it during the course of the year, but I'm worried that this is also a risk. Unless there are exam centres that allow you to pay the fee throughout the year not all at once, then I'm not going to be able to sit the exams. What do I do?? I should also mention that my old school refuses to allow me to sit my exams there.

Lol you smashed it
Instead of taking a loan out, why don't you take a loan from the bank of mum and dad? Get a written agreement put together that they will front the deficit, and you will repay them a least a certain amount at least each week/month.

I'm sure they would prefer you to borrow money from them, rather than some dodgy company that will charge you extra.

Don't forget to mention that the written agreement is legally enforceable. (Source: Too many hours spent watching Judge Rinder.)
Reply 3
Original post by vicvic38
Instead of taking a loan out, why don't you take a loan from the bank of mum and dad? Get a written agreement put together that they will front the deficit, and you will repay them a least a certain amount at least each week/month.

I'm sure they would prefer you to borrow money from them, rather than some dodgy company that will charge you extra.

Don't forget to mention that the written agreement is legally enforceable. (Source: Too many hours spent watching Judge Rinder.)

Oh that makes sense. Thank you
Aren't A-level exams around £10 each? I'm sorry but if your parents are refusing to pay for that it seems like your family is very dysfucntional
Reply 5
Original post by Nabopolassar
Aren't A-level exams around £10 each? I'm sorry but if your parents are refusing to pay for that it seems like your family is very dysfucntional

Definetly not. Most centres I've asked are about £300 per subject. Meaning about £900 in total.
Work for a year and do it next year?
Original post by Nabopolassar

Nope you are talking about £300-£400 per subject and practicals for sciences can cost £800-£1600.

I dont think its unreasonable not to want to pay, especially if they dont have it.
good luck bro you're gonna need it

and it'll make you more responsible so include that in your PS when you apply to unis

Its not clear what your situation is i.e

What did you study and what grades in your original A levels?

Are these new sits or resits?

Which subjects and how will you be studying? Online, self taught etc?

What is your objective?

Sometimes it might be worth just taking longer , getting a job and paying that way or doing an access course.
Im in the same boat except two exams, didn't they start a bank account for you when you were younger with money that you got from family/birthday etc. im also working or try selling some stuff. start a go-fund me.
Reply 11
Try to look at each centre indvidually and their prices and go with the cheapest one. There are some centres which don't charge too much.

its not taht expensive to buy the textsbooks and pay the exam fee at the centre - if you go to a local school/college, it will cost about £200.
Original post by H.a.hx
Try to look at each centre indvidually and their prices and go with the cheapest one. There are some centres which don't charge too much.

You will find that centres are very cagey about their prices and dont usually publish them on the websites. They will know what their competitors charge and usually match that. Shopping around makes sense, but the providers are out to make money.
(edited 5 years ago)
the center doesn't matter, the exams will cost the same because thats the price for that subject for that exam board, you might as well do it a your school, even though you'll still have to pay for the exams, or you can enroll in the school, not pay and but nit get the opportunity to teach yourself. but even still, youll prob have to teach yourself anyway cos teachers dont know how to teach a levels anyway
Reply 15
Are there any Further Education Colleges which offer one year fast track A levels?

That might be a cheaper option?

Some will offer this with only exam fees to pay depending on your age.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending