The Student Room Group

Switching from brick uni to open uni

Hiya just looking for a bit of advice.
I started an undergrad course last month but have since been diagnosed with an illness that will require surgery which would cause me to miss a lot of time at uni.
Is there any way I could start a new undergrad course with the open university in February of next year if I leave my brick uni this year ? Or would I have to wait and start in September?
Also I studied for a year with the open uni a few years ago when I got sick the first time. As this would be a new course would I be classed as a new student as far as the maintenance loan is concerned as I am classed as a disabled student ? Or would I be a continuing student as I have studied with them before on a different course and therefore not entitled to the maintenance loan?
Cheers :smile:
Original post by Newbie16
Hiya just looking for a bit of advice.
I started an undergrad course last month but have since been diagnosed with an illness that will require surgery which would cause me to miss a lot of time at uni.
Is there any way I could start a new undergrad course with the open university in February of next year if I leave my brick uni this year ? Or would I have to wait and start in September?
Also I studied for a year with the open uni a few years ago when I got sick the first time. As this would be a new course would I be classed as a new student as far as the maintenance loan is concerned as I am classed as a disabled student ? Or would I be a continuing student as I have studied with them before on a different course and therefore not entitled to the maintenance loan?
Cheers :smile:

Hi,

If you wished to change university you would need to have your current university send us a withdrawal. To then apply for a part time course with the Open University, you would have to send a paper part time application in to us as a new student. You will only be eligible for a maintenance loan if you can prove to us you are having to study via distance learning due to a disability.

Thanks, Duncan.
Original post by Duncan SFE
Hi,

If you wished to change university you would need to have your current university send us a withdrawal. To then apply for a part time course with the Open University, you would have to send a paper part time application in to us as a new student. You will only be eligible for a maintenance loan if you can prove to us you are having to study via distance learning due to a disability.

Thanks, Duncan.

Thanks so much for your reply.
Can I just ask what evidence I would need to supply to prove I need to study due to Ill health. I have diagnosis letters, appointment letters from the three hospitals I receive care from and benefit entitlement letters. What else would I need to supply?
Thanks again 😊
Original post by Newbie16
Thanks so much for your reply.
Can I just ask what evidence I would need to supply to prove I need to study due to Ill health. I have diagnosis letters, appointment letters from the three hospitals I receive care from and benefit entitlement letters. What else would I need to supply?
Thanks again 😊

Hi,

We would need;

Medical evidence from your GP and/or Consultant confirming that your condition prevents you from travelling to/from your university and physically attending

Evidence that you have had discussions with your university/multiple universities about the facilities available, accessibility and why the universities cannot accommodate your requirements. This could be emails/correspondence between you and different universities

Thanks, Duncan.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending