The Student Room Group

Is anyone else scared for the future?

People are trying to normalise trans and mental illnesses.
The world is becoming softer and softer - you can't even say your opinion without someone crying and calling you names just because they're self entitled thinking that if your opinion is against them you're evil and a 'bully'. I despise that term 'bully' as nowadays people just throw that word around if someone offends them.

I'm worried about the fat acceptance movement becoming more toxic etc.

I've probably offended somebody so I'm sorry but what do you guys think?

I have more to say but have to go. You can have a discussion here if you want as I'm quite curious to see what you guys have to say.
That isn’t the direction I expected from the thread title.
i mean i'm worried about climate change and the more violent natural disasters that it's causing, as well as how polluted ecosystems are getting, but sure, worry about people getting offended! 😊
Original post by Anonymous
People are trying to normalise trans and mental illnesses.
The world is becoming softer and softer - you can't even say your opinion without someone crying and calling you names just because they're self entitled thinking that if your opinion is against them you're evil and a 'bully'. I despise that term 'bully' as nowadays people just throw that word around if someone offends them.

I'm worried about the fat acceptance movement becoming more toxic etc.

I've probably offended somebody so I'm sorry but what do you guys think?

I have more to say but have to go. You can have a discussion here if you want as I'm quite curious to see what you guys have to say.

You see it as softer and softer, others see it as more and more accepting. Things change, there’s always going to be some people that don’t like / can’t understand that.

Expressing your opinion, whatever it may be, is totally fine as long as it’s done respectfully. But, as with all opinions, people will disagree with you, and voice that.
(edited 5 years ago)
YESSSSS
I am so scared about the future. Especially in terms of how accepting people will be at the moment I'm having to hide my sexuality and I worry what's going to happen in the future and whether I will ever be able to come out or will I have to end up getting to married to a guy who I have no attraction to whatsoever and just live like 2 strangers in a house:frown:
All in all thinking about the future scares me and make me upset.
Original post by heartinablender
i mean i'm worried about climate change and the more violent natural disasters that it's causing, as well as how polluted ecosystems are getting, but sure, worry about people getting offended! 😊

To be quite honest it isn't just about people getting offended, it is also about spreading dangerous misinformation such as the fat acceptance movement. But for some reason this wasn't OP's main reason for being scared, rather people being offended :P which is silly imo.
Aren't humans strange? We are in the middle of a mass extinction event caused by ourselves; we are consuming so much of the earth's resources that we are liable to exhaust them within decades; we have given narcissistic sociopaths permission to launch weapons that will end civilisation; we are giving platforms to psychopaths who want to wipe out whole communities of ourselves....Yet our biggest worry (apparently) is that we aren't allowed to be nasty enough to those of us who are a bit heavier than others, or who want to be called by a pronoun we don't approve of.
Yes, I'm scared for the future too.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
You people are missing the point of my thread. Sure I am worried about people's sensitivity but this thread is meant for a discussion to happen about this topic and anything related to this. If you're going to get offended you can leave please.
Reply 8
If you're that worried about the earth and other important things then be my guess and leave as this thread wasn't about it. If you want to have a discussion about the Earth you can make your own thread and talk there. I didn't say this topic was so "Important" I simply said that I'm scared/worried for the future and if you want a discussion then you can have a discussion here.
I mean you're welcome to have your opinion I guess. In regards to transgender people, just because it's not typical to you doesn't mean it's not normal. They're human beings too and they deserve to live life wholly comfortable in themselves. Body dysmorphia is a very real and devastating experience. Let people identify as whatever they want, it doesn't affect you directly. Why are you so interested in what sexual organs somebody else possesses?

Mental illness again is atypical. But nobody asks for it or wants to suffer from one. I literally wouldn't wish depression on my worst enemy. Mental illnesses are an illness, they are just as dangerous as any physical illness. (ie. anorexia has a very high mortality rate) Again, just because you're blessed with perfect mental health doesn't mean everyone is so lucky. Try to have some empathy for other people's struggles.
Yeah and a guy gay served me at off and trust me he didnt like the look if me, when he talked to me he didnt even lool at me nor smile nor speak slowly
Original post by chooseanother
I mean you're welcome to have your opinion I guess. In regards to transgender people, just because it's not typical to you doesn't mean it's not normal. They're human beings too and they deserve to live life wholly comfortable in themselves. Body dysmorphia is a very real and devastating experience. Let people identify as whatever they want, it doesn't affect you directly. Why are you so interested in what sexual organs somebody else possesses?

Mental illness again is atypical. But nobody asks for it or wants to suffer from one. I literally wouldn't wish depression on my worst enemy. Mental illnesses are an illness, they are just as dangerous as any physical illness. (ie. anorexia has a very high mortality rate) Again, just because you're blessed with perfect mental health doesn't mean everyone is so lucky. Try to have some empathy for other people's struggles.

In all honesty it doesn't affect me much but I do get concerned when they try to teach children that it's normal when it clearly isn't.

Moreover, I think you misunderstood what I said about mental illnesses. I personally think that nowadays people are trying normalize and say that having a mental illness is good and okay since "we accept you no matter what and you shouldn't change a thing". Which I believe it to be really wrong.
I think that people should help those who suffer with mental illness and offer them support when it comes to treatment.

It's good and honourable that people want to support mental illnesses and help those suffering by trying to "normalise" so they won't feel left out but I think people are going thr wrong way about it if you understand what I mean.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending