The Student Room Group

Using Uni?

Hi, I'm struggling to create space in my personal statement. I would like to substitute "Bristol University" for "Bristol Uni" to save space. Is this too informal, or alternatively could I just remove the name of the university I completed a course with completely?
Thanks
Original post by Lee Chaolan
Hi, I'm struggling to create space in my personal statement. I would like to substitute "Bristol University" for "Bristol Uni" to save space. Is this too informal, or alternatively could I just remove the name of the university I completed a course with completely?
Thanks

Firstly it’s University of Bristol not Bristol University...if you’re going to include a university name get it right and don’t abbreviate.

There’s almost certainly something better that you can remove. Have you tried reading it out loud?
Original post by PQ
Firstly it’s University of Bristol not Bristol University...if you’re going to include a university name get it right and don’t abbreviate.

There’s almost certainly something better that you can remove. Have you tried reading it out loud?

I have been looking at other places in the statement to shorten it yes, which has made it better. Thanks for the heads up about that, I shall change every instance of that, and for the rest I think I'm going to delete the word university entirely, just focusing on the city where the event took place.
Reply 3
I have been looking at other places in the statement to shorten it yes, which has made it better. Thanks for the heads up about that, I shall change every instance of that, and for the rest I think I'm going to delete the word university entirely, just focusing on the city where the event took place.

What did you do at Bristol and why are you putting so much emphasis on it? A PS should be primarily forward looking not backward. Also your referee can discuss how well you did in your Bristol course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
What did you do at Bristol and why are you putting so much emphasis on it? A PS should be primarily forward looking not backward. Also your referee can discuss how well you did in your Bristol course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bristol is my number one choice, and the biggest super curricular activity I completed took place at the University of Bristol. Sorry, but I don't really get what you mean by looking backwards.
Reply 5
Bristol is my number one choice, and the biggest super curricular activity I completed took place at the University of Bristol. Sorry, but I don't really get what you mean by looking backwards.

What was it? And which course are applying for?

How do you think other universities will feel if you constantly mention Bristol? It's fine to say you did x at Bristol and your reflections on it, but it sounds like you are focussing too much on this one thing.
What was it? And which course are applying for?

How do you think other universities will feel if you constantly mention Bristol? It's fine to say you did x at Bristol and your reflections on it, but it sounds like you are focussing too much on this one thing.

Don't worry, I only named the University of Bristol once in my entire statement. I did access to Bristol when I'm applying for chemistry so I wanted to talk about the transferable skills
Reply 7
Don't worry, I only named the University of Bristol once in my entire statement. I did access to Bristol when I'm applying for chemistry so I wanted to talk about the transferable skills

You said you will "change every instance of that" implying you used it (much) more than once.

Anyway, I'll leave you to it now :smile:
You said you will "change every instance of that" implying you used it (much) more than once.

Anyway, I'll leave you to it now :smile:

Yeah initially I did have more but I cut it down cause I'm over the word limit, thanks anyway

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending