The Student Room Group

I sent my UCAS but having second thought

I sent my ucas application off, got three offers and rejected to the one i wanted to go to most. Its made me think if science is really for me as i want to take immunology. I take bio chem and psych and i struggle getting good grades, therefore its made me wonder if i will struggle even more at uni. Although i want to take a science course i also started looking at history with international relations. I do enjoy essay based subjects and thought i should take this route through clearing? Im pretty lost at the moment.
I applied for maths, i sometimes wonder how i will cope with this when i'm at university at certain times when i'm struggling with an extremely hard topic. However with practice, those thoughts eventually leaves my head as the topic becomes easier until finally i understand it.

Don't give up.
History degrees normally require A-level History to be taken. If you wanted to pursue that route you might need to take a gap year and sit A-level History in that year.

While yes, the scientific content will continue and be more sophisticated as you move through the degree, you will be supported (hopefully) in learning this. Additionally, if the area you've chosen is of genuine interest, you may find that helps as you'll do less of the other topics you'll have covered in A-level which you aren't as interested in, which may well lead to a better experience and better results.

If you are interested in sciences broadly but perhaps not so much learning the detailed elements, and have an interest in policy (and generally a more humanities style course) you might find something like Science & Technology in Society, History & Philosophy of Science or Human Sciences/Biological Anthropology (or perhaps Archaeology or Geography) appealing. These all relate to the sciences, but take a different approach generally (or for the latter, a more interdisciplinary approach). This might be a good way to match up your interests with your strengths better!

That aside though, it's not uncommon to have second thoughts - you have plenty of time to mull it over before you need to confirm your offers, and even after that if come results day you're still not set on that route, you can choose not to pursue it and take a gap year and reapply (or apply through clearing).
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
I think you should leave it as is now...check if you can obtain the grades to get onto the courses you've applied for now on results day. If not, then you can go through clearing and re-think your options, as history etc will probably most likely be available in clearning

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending