The Student Room Group

Did my brother scam me?

I owed my brother £40 bc I borrowed that to get dad a Christmas present (which I signed from all of us and me, him and our other brother picked out together so I didn't think he'd care) so when he asked for that back I figured I can afford £40, but only just. I offered to transfer it to him but he said he'd found something he liked for £42 and couldn't find his card rn so could he just use mine and I give him the extra £2. I said fine bc I just wanted to be done with it and I swore to myself never to borrow from him again and gave him my card, warning him that I couldn't afford more than that.
I'm home from uni for the holidays and on the 10th I have an exam I have to go in for but since teaching doesn't start up again until the 28th for me and it's my mum's birthday on the 20th, my plan is to stay at the house, go in for the exam, and then go back to the house and wait until my finance comes in which is meant to be around the 28th. I had around £90 in my account when I gave him the card, and train fare is £20 for a return on the day of the exam.
I was just trying to buy my ticket for the exam date and it wouldn't go through. I checked the banking app and it says I only have £8. I checked my transactions and his £42 shirt is listed as costing £82! I don't have an overdraft. I have a £10 emergency borrowing fee, but that still leaves me short on fare.
Like... even if there was extra for shipping, that's a lot extra. And I checked with him before I put it through. I was baking and up to my elbows in sticky dough so rather than actually go over and look at the screen when he told me he was putting it through I said "it's still £42, right?" and he said yes.
I freaked out and told him to cancel it and he said there's no cancellations. Then he said it was a bidding website. I think that he's either driven up the bidding on this shirt by £40 and not told me or he's added something to the cart and not told me. When I told him I needed the money he said that I didn't because I'm getting student finance.
Am I being paranoid or has he done this intentionally?
Reply 1
TLDR I owed my brother £40 and he said instead of paying him back with money could I buy him a shirt. I said okay. He said it was £42, bank statement says it was £82 and now I can't afford train fare to my exam. Did my brother do this intentionally?
Whether he did it intentionally or not, your bank statement will prove that it is his transaction, so he needs to pay you back. Technically it is theft if he has spent more than you authorised, however, as you gave him your card, I'm not sure the bank would support you on that...
He owes you £40. You agreed to let him spend £42 on your card, nothing more. It doesn't matter if you've got Student Finance coming in, it's still your money that he's taken.
It’s your bank account - The bank statement is pretty clear on what it gets spent on. This is why you don’t give your bank card to anyone to use.
tell him you need your money back and show him the proof

Then tell your parents

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending