The Student Room Group

why do people apply so late?

why do people apply to uni so late? (end of december/january). i’m not judging them but i’m really bored and the question popped in my head.
were they waiting for something or what? what was your case if you applied in the second half of the 5/6 month period?
Original post by delia0117q
why do people apply to uni so late? (end of december/january). i’m not judging them but i’m really bored and the question popped in my head.
were they waiting for something or what? what was your case if you applied in the second half of the 5/6 month period?

They dont get round to it, they cant make up their mind, they are still doing research....
Many are studying one year courses and so their referee needs to wait until December/January before they know the applicant well enough to provide a reference and predicted grades.

Some don’t get support from their college and don’t realise the deadline is in January.

Many international applicants don’t expect the deadline to be so early. Or if they do then they aren’t expecting to need to have their reference added before the deadline (many application systems in other countries request references AFTER the application is submitted)

Only around 30% of courses are closed on the January deadline.
It’s been a couple of years since I applied, but the main reason I applied in December and not earlier was I was a bit of a perfectionist. I spent ages trying to make my personal statement sound really amazing, but I doubt all the editing I did made a huge difference to the final outcome.
Because it's a big and difficult decision, and they're at no disadvantage at all to do that in comparison to applying on the first day it opens, so why not take the extra time just to be sure you're happy with the decision?
Reply 5
Original post by delia0117q

They’re busy with work etc. maybe. They want to go to open days in September/ October. They want a few more months to consider their courses, unis and improve the PS as much as possible
Because the deadline is the 15th of January?
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
Many are studying one year courses and so their referee needs to wait until December/January before they know the applicant well enough to provide a reference and predicted grades.

Some don’t get support from their college and don’t realise the deadline is in January.

Many international applicants don’t expect the deadline to be so early. Or if they do then they aren’t expecting to need to have their reference added before the deadline (many application systems in other countries request references AFTER the application is submitted)

Only around 30% of courses are closed on the January deadline.

oooh okay thank you! that makes sense

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending