The Student Room Group

Leaving family to go back to uni

I’m now in my second semester at uni, about 2 and a half hours drive/train away from my home. But every time I leave my family, particularly my mum, I cry. I don’t know how to stop this from happening! Does anyone else have this problem? I hope I’m not the only one!
Original post by Graceb2309
I’m now in my second semester at uni, about 2 and a half hours drive/train away from my home. But every time I leave my family, particularly my mum, I cry. I don’t know how to stop this from happening! Does anyone else have this problem? I hope I’m not the only one!
Doesn't matter if you're the only one. It's what you do and that's alright. Lots of people have different relationships with their parents and there's no right and wrong. Perhaps once you get into second year you'll feel a bit more confortable saying goodbye: you're still very new to this. Is it that you don't particularly enjoy university at the moment?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 04MR17
Doesn't matter if you're the only one. It's what you do and that's alright. Lots of people have different relationships with their parents and there's no right and wrong. Perhaps once you get into second year you'll feel a bit more confortable saying goodbye: you're still very new to this. Is it that you don't particularly enjoy university at the moment?

I love uni! I love my course and my friends that I have there. I think I just have this strong relationship with my parents and I have the comfort of being around them. I cry at first but as soon as they’re gone I’m fine, it’s just the saying goodbye that hurts
I love uni! I love my course and my friends that I have there. I think I just have this strong relationship with my parents and I have the comfort of being around them. I cry at first but as soon as they’re gone I’m fine, it’s just the saying goodbye that hurts

Getting emotional when saying good bye to people you care about is normal, and the more often you leave, the easier it will get. If you think that crying is weird, or try to pretend you're fine when you aren't, you're giving yourself unrealistic expectations.

Hey! Its defo normal to get upset when you leave your family, especially when you are close to them. I get upset but i just try to make up for it by coming home as much as i can and speaking to my family everyday! Uni is hard living away from home ! Are you in your first year?
Sophia :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending