The Student Room Group

Offer for the wrong course

I applied for economics with international relations at Birmingham but was offered just international relations with the grades ABB.
However economics is what I really want to do and I’m not interested in just international relations. My predicted grades are A*A*A*A in economics, geography, art and biology, and an A* in EPQ. I think the reason is that I only got a level 6 at GCSE maths (but I’m now doing extra maths courses online to prepare).
Do you think there’s a possibility that they would consider me for the original course if I called them? Or should I just go for my other offers
Original post by Varafoukis887
I applied for economics with international relations at Birmingham but was offered just international relations with the grades ABB.
However economics is what I really want to do and I’m not interested in just international relations. My predicted grades are A*A*A*A in economics, geography, art and biology, and an A* in EPQ. I think the reason is that I only got a level 6 at GCSE maths (but I’m now doing extra maths courses online to prepare).
Do you think there’s a possibility that they would consider me for the original course if I called them? Or should I just go for my other offers

The requirements for International Relations with Economics explicitly state they want 7/A in GCSE Maths.

You could ring them up but "I'm taking online courses" doesn't actually mean anything. To be honest, you should have retaken Maths. Can you still do so?
Original post by Varafoukis887

Unless it's an online course which is nationally recognised and leads to some sort of qualification, I doubt the university will take that very seriously. Sure, you can complete an online course, but if it's not recognised, then you won't have sufficient proof to demonstrate that you have actually progressed in your maths knowledge. Retaking your maths GCSE would make more sense if you are able to, although it's quite late now to explore that avenue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending