The Student Room Group

Taking Functional Skills Level 2 in case fail gcse maths?

So, I have heard back from two of the five universities I have applied to so far, both conditional offers for the marketing related courses I’ve applied to which has kind of shocked me as I don’t have any A Levels, and I’m currently doing my GCSE’s through distance learning (as well as another level 3 qualification), but anyway, maths is a lot more difficult than I was expecting and it is a very challenging subject to do from home. So would you recommend that after finishing the GCSE’s in May/early June, I do a Functional Skills Maths level 2, which can be finished in around 6 weeks, so just in case if I do fail the maths gcse then I can tell the universities that I have recently passed the ‘functional skills level 2 maths’ which may look better to them because then I will have a pass in a maths qualification even if I will have failed the gcse?

I hope I pass maths gcse, but I’m trying to think of something I could do just in case I don’t pass this gcse!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
I recommend that you try really hard in your GCSE as some unis may not accept the level 2 in functional skills.
Original post by moon4
So, I have heard back from two of the five universities I have applied to so far, both conditional offers for the marketing related courses I’ve applied to which has kind of shocked me as I don’t have any A Levels, and I’m currently doing my GCSE’s through distance learning (as well as another level 3 qualification), but anyway, maths is a lot more difficult than I was expecting and it is a very challenging subject to do from home. So would you recommend that after finishing the GCSE’s in May/early June, I do a Functional Skills Maths level 2, which can be finished in around 6 weeks, so just in case if I do fail the maths gcse then I can tell the universities that I have recently passed the ‘functional skills level 2 maths’ which may look better to them because then I will have a pass in a maths qualification even if I will have failed the gcse?

I hope I pass maths gcse, but I’m trying to think of something I could do just in case I don’t pass this gcse!

It's hard to advise you without knowing more about your situation - like if you don't have A levels, do you have an equivalent qualification? Why are you doing your GCSEs through distance learning? I can see that doing GCSE maths through distance learning must be hard, because you don't have a teacher to ask as soon as you get stuck. If you don't pass your GCSE maths this year, would you consider doing a college course that will prepare you for Uni and allow you to retake your maths?
Reply 3
Original post by harrysbar
It's hard to advise you without knowing more about your situation - like if you don't have A levels, do you have an equivalent qualification? Why are you doing your GCSEs through distance learning? I can see that doing GCSE maths through distance learning must be hard, because you don't have a teacher to ask as soon as you get stuck. If you don't pass your GCSE maths this year, would you consider doing a college course that will prepare you for Uni and allow you to retake your maths?

I’ve already applied for uni this year as I am desperate to go, I’ve heard back from 2 of the 5 I’ve applied to so far and they have given me conditional offers. I am doing GCSE’s currently as well as a Foundation Diploma in Art, Design and Media

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending