The Student Room Group

Interrupting studies

I have used up all of my funding years (including the extra year). I was able to claim back a year of funding due to compelling personal reasons. I have already received the first 2 instalments of the grant and loan.

My university have interrupted my studies due to attendance, as I haven’t swiped my card since the start of the acamic year- despite attending exams throughout the year... so clearly I was attending, just not swiping my card! They gave me no warning, just interrupted my studies out of the blue and without my consent. They won’t reverse this decision, even with a doctors note stating my absences are due to medical reasons.

Since I haven’t swiped my card since the start of the year, they say I haven’t attended since then (again, I attended exams throughout the year so this is false!) so they won’t charge me any tuition fees. But I have already received my first 2 instalments of the loan and grant. What will happen to this? Will I have to repay them? As a vulnerable independent student, there’s no way I could repay them.

Also, can I claim back this year due to compelling personal reasons for the second time? Or is there no chance of me getting any more funding?
Original post by KUO101
I have used up all of my funding years (including the extra year). I was able to claim back a year of funding due to compelling personal reasons. I have already received the first 2 instalments of the grant and loan.

My university have interrupted my studies due to attendance, as I haven’t swiped my card since the start of the acamic year- despite attending exams throughout the year... so clearly I was attending, just not swiping my card! They gave me no warning, just interrupted my studies out of the blue and without my consent. They won’t reverse this decision, even with a doctors note stating my absences are due to medical reasons.

Since I haven’t swiped my card since the start of the year, they say I haven’t attended since then (again, I attended exams throughout the year so this is false!) so they won’t charge me any tuition fees. But I have already received my first 2 instalments of the loan and grant. What will happen to this? Will I have to repay them? As a vulnerable independent student, there’s no way I could repay them.

Also, can I claim back this year due to compelling personal reasons for the second time? Or is there no chance of me getting any more funding?

Hi,

If your university have advised us you have not attended since the start of your course then we cannot change this. Thus meaning you will receive an over-payment letter for all payments you have received and that amount must be repaid immediately. Once you receive this letter you can call the number on it to discuss.

If you need to repeat your year again then yes, you can apply for CPR again to be awarded a year of funding back. If you still have an over-payment balance by the time you start attending again then that amount will be deducted from your future funding.

Thanks, Chanel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending