The Student Room Group

Hot people will make you unhappy

Trying to get with someone just because they are hot or pretty will make you unhappy .
This applies to both men and women.
You will constantly feel unworthy and jealous and like the other person can do better.

Think about it for a moment. Let's say that really hot guy does like you and you get with him, maybe you have some great sex and things go ok for a few weeks. And then he turns out to be a **** because you never actually took the time to get to know him.

How happy will he have made you then? We all know looks are important but we need to consider our partners more carefully. The short term pursuit of happiness is not worth the long term pursuit of recovery.

Scroll to see replies

this is very sensible advice. in a few years the looks begin to fade; the bloom is off the rose. the plump moist fruit shrivels to a desiccated prune.
Reply 2
it's not like people can't be both attractive and nice...
Someone got rejected
Original post by 1Person

^^
Reply 5
Original post by 1Person

That's the ideal I'm trying to encourage so if this was meant sarcastically woe to you.
Reply 6
Well... XOR is not a valid username if it's after the exclusive or of logic. :flute:
Original post by XOR_
^^
Reply 7
I've been rejected a lot of times but just come out a long relationship with someone better looking than me, we just weren't compatible anymore. That's what this is. Don't beat yourself up chasing beauty when the dream isn't an ideal.
Reply 8
Please... be nice
Original post by Anonymous
That's the ideal I'm trying to encourage so if this was meant sarcastically woe to you.
When I was in my 20s all my boyfriends used to look like famous actors/ pop stars. These included actor John Duttine, Phil Oakey, cross between Simon le Bon and Sting, Jason Donovan... and I was chatted up by Phil Lynott of Thin lizzy. They were gorgeous and everyone was jealous of me. they were also madly in love..with their mirrors. they thought they could just treat me how they liked. It always ended up in tears and they were unfaithful to me. There was a nice guy who liked me. He was average looking and was called Geoff Nutter. He wore socks under Jesus sandals when the rest of us were wearing black felt pixie boots. And I didn't fancy being Mrs Nutter. But he was interesting, caring, a good listener, sweet and adored me. I often regret going out with the God of the French department (the Simon le bon/Sting one) instead of Geoff. So now I am alone and he is probably happy with someone else. Heed my words and choose wisely. :banghead:
Trying to get with someone just because they are hot or pretty will make you unhappy .
You will constantly feel unworthy and jealous and like the other person can do better.

Think about it for a moment. Let's say that really hot guy does like you and you get with him, maybe you have some great sex and things go ok for a few weeks. And then he turns out to be a **** because you never actually took the time to get to know him.

How happy will he have made you then? We all know looks are important but we need to consider our partners more carefully. The short term pursuit of happiness is not worth the long term pursuit of recovery.
Sorry to hear that didn't work out for you
I've been rejected a lot of times but just come out a long relationship with someone better looking than me, we just weren't compatible anymore. That's what this is. Don't beat yourself up chasing beauty when the dream isn't an ideal.
If you don't think you can be happy with someone who is hot that says more about you and your own self-worth than it does "hot people".

I don't get into a relationship with someone and think "they're too good for me". I've dated a variety of people - from the rich and famous to handymen and NEETs. For context I'm a navy brat with a complex career history. But I've enough self-confidence to not let who I'm dating change me or make me question my worth. When those relationships ended it was for the best not due to jealousy or insecurity.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by sinfonietta
If you don't think you can be happy with someone who is hot that says more about you and your own self-worth than it does "hot people".

I don't get into a relationship with someone and think "they're too good for me". I've dated a variety of people - from the rich and famous to handymen and NEETs. For context I'm a navy brat with a complex career history. But I've enough self-confidence to not let who I'm dating change me or make me question my worth. When those relationships ended it was for the best not due to jealousy or insecurity.

I needed to write my post better clearly, I am not in any way suggesting being hot or going for a hot person is wrong. I am simply cautioning men and women about choosing partners simply because of such superficial things.

Then don’t judge a book by its cover
Reply 14

If you feel unworthy then thats about your own self esteem issues. Beautiful models are not perfect. it is very shallow to assume they are or that they will be disloyal - character and personality are equally important.
Reply 15
Original post by the bear
this is very sensible advice. in a few years the looks begin to fade; the bloom is off the rose. the plump moist fruit shrivels to a desiccated prune.

Mind you, you can get a fair bit of mileage out of good looks over a 15 year period and it's a bit longer still before you become a desiccated prune
Yes you can make the most of your good looks for 15 years. But then you look round and all the best people are married and you are well on your way to becoming that prune.
Original post by Zarek
Mind you, you can get a fair bit of mileage out of good looks over a 15 year period and it's a bit longer still before you become a desiccated prune
Reply 17
I guess not, if you play you cards right and snare that dream partner at just the right moment..
Original post by Oxford Mum
When I was in my 20s all my boyfriends used to look like famous actors/ pop stars. These included actor John Duttine, Phil Oakey, cross between Simon le Bon and Sting, Jason Donovan... and I was chatted up by Phil Lynott of Thin lizzy. They were gorgeous and everyone was jealous of me. they were also madly in love..with their mirrors. they thought they could just treat me how they liked. It always ended up in tears and they were unfaithful to me. There was a nice guy who liked me. He was average looking and was called Geoff Nutter. He wore socks under Jesus sandals when the rest of us were wearing black felt pixie boots. And I didn't fancy being Mrs Nutter. But he was interesting, caring, a good listener, sweet and adored me. I often regret going out with the God of the French department (the Simon le bon/Sting one) instead of Geoff. So now I am alone and he is probably happy with someone else. Heed my words and choose wisely. :banghead:

One of my favourite posts for a long time.
Duttine isnt a name ive heard for ages. Ironic as well if you consider one of his most famous roles.
That is EXACTLY it. I bypassed all the diamonds and ended up with all the sh*t
Original post by Zarek
I guess not, if you play you cards right and snare that dream partner at just the right moment..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending