The Student Room Group

psychology at uni please help

Originally, I wanted to go to Edinburgh university as it seemed really nice .However , after reevaluating ,I found that Newcastle was higher for psychology so I decided to firm Newcastle . Also Newcastle is relatively cheap for students and the course is ranked 11th which is much higher than Edinburgh (for psychology) and the atmosphere was very friendly too .
But now when I tell people what uni I have firmed they act like it’s an awful uni and many people have told me it’s just an average Russel which is really stressing me . I do like Newcastle but i can’t stop feeling like perhaps I shouldn’t have done this as although Newcastle is a good uni Edinburgh is seen as a much superior uni compared .
So my question is ,as Newcastle is higher for psychology will the job opportunity be as good or better and is Newcastle a good uni not just a standard uni as everyone has said?
Also another benefit was that I was offered lower grades from AAA to ABB whereas Edinburgh wanted A*AB which I’m not too sure I could obtain .
it really does not matter at all what university you go to in terms of job offers - apart from Oxbridge. As long as you’re on a course that’s accredited by the BPS, it doesn’t matter where you study. Go to a uni you want to go to. Newcastle is a great university and is quite highly regarded, ignore what people are saying.
Hi if you dont mind me asking what made them drop their grades to ABB?
I really want to go to newcastle university for psychology and can’t find anywhere I actually want to go with ABB grades
Original post by Jessicastapleton
I really want to go to newcastle university for psychology and can’t find anywhere I actually want to go with ABB grades

Newcastle standard offer is AAA to ABB. Any lower offers are likely to be contextual- for example, given to applicants attending poorly performing schools
Original post by Jessicastapleton

It’s bc I did a chemistry and biology and they acknowledge that those too subjects are quite hard so it’s doesn't give others with a level that are considered to be ‘easier’ or have less content and unfair advantage
Original post by danoeellllllllu
Originally, I wanted to go to Edinburgh university as it seemed really nice .However , after reevaluating ,I found that Newcastle was higher for psychology so I decided to firm Newcastle . Also Newcastle is relatively cheap for students and the course is ranked 11th which is much higher than Edinburgh (for psychology) and the atmosphere was very friendly too .
But now when I tell people what uni I have firmed they act like it’s an awful uni and many people have told me it’s just an average Russel which is really stressing me . I do like Newcastle but i can’t stop feeling like perhaps I shouldn’t have done this as although Newcastle is a good uni Edinburgh is seen as a much superior uni compared .
So my question is ,as Newcastle is higher for psychology will the job opportunity be as good or better and is Newcastle a good uni not just a standard uni as everyone has said?
Also another benefit was that I was offered lower grades from AAA to ABB whereas Edinburgh wanted A*AB which I’m not too sure I could obtain .

Where did you decide to go to in the end?
It’s bc I did a chemistry and biology and they acknowledge that those too subjects are quite hard so it’s doesn't give others with a level that are considered to be ‘easier’ or have less content and unfair advantage

I do both biology and maths alongside psychology. Do you think theres a chance they could do the same? Or have you even heard anyone let in on results day at newcastle even if they missed by one grade e.g. got ABB instead of AAB
they may offer you ABB but chemistry and biology both require a pass in the practical endorsement so that’s probably way they lowered the grade for me . The highest they will likely offer for your combination of subjects may be AAB but I’m not entirely sure as this year they may change so it’s probably best to apply and see what happens and if you do apply with predicted grades of ABB they could still offer AAB for you to get in .
Original post by 学生の父
Where did you decide to go to in the end?

Neither lol
Neither lol

where did you end up?
Original post by byakuya kuchki
where did you end up?

I’m taking a gap year !!
I’m taking a gap year !!

good luck!! I hope it goes great!
good luck!! I hope it goes great!

Thank you and are you preparing for your exams or going to uni ?
Thank you and are you preparing for your exams or going to uni ?

going to uni actually
going to uni actually

Well done ! Which one ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending