The Student Room Group

Waiting for one university choice.

Hi,

I submitted my UCAS application before the Jan deadline and I'm just waiting for one last university choice out five to get back to me. It happens to be one i'd like to attend. Which leaves me unable to make any choice or commitments until they get back to me.

Is it a good idea to follow up with them regarding the application or should I just wait until they make some form of contact?

I'm finding that open days and scholarship application deadlines are already passing by for all my existing offers. Unis are bugging me to sort accommodation etc. Thus, I feel increasingly at a disadvantage for not being able to make a choice.

Paul
You could contact them and ask them to give you a rough timeline as to when they might get back to you. This would at least allow you to make an informed decision about whether you still want to wait for them or not. Beyond this, you can't really put any pressure on them- unis can think about your application until the deadline just as you can apply up until the deadline and take your time deciding who to firm and insure.

This often happens when you're more of a borderline candidate, and the university isn't sure whether to give you an offer or not- so they wait and see how many applicants firm them before making a final decision.

Try your best to ignore the other unis putting pressure on you. This is just a tactic from them trying to get you to commit to them. You're perfectly entitled to wait until the deadline to make your decisions.
Reply 2
I think the borderline candidate part is the case. The one I'm waiting for was a choice on the ambitious side. I do not expect an offer, but I'd just like them to put me out of my misery as it were.

Original post by SarcAndSpark
You could contact them and ask them to give you a rough timeline as to when they might get back to you. This would at least allow you to make an informed decision about whether you still want to wait for them or not. Beyond this, you can't really put any pressure on them- unis can think about your application until the deadline just as you can apply up until the deadline and take your time deciding who to firm and insure.

This often happens when you're more of a borderline candidate, and the university isn't sure whether to give you an offer or not- so they wait and see how many applicants firm them before making a final decision.

Try your best to ignore the other unis putting pressure on you. This is just a tactic from them trying to get you to commit to them. You're perfectly entitled to wait until the deadline to make your decisions.
I have exactly the same case, waiting for the 'last offer', I worked out that I'm probably on a sort of 'wait-list' in case their predicted number of Firms do not come in (they could make money from paying English or International students , none from me). It is very frustrating, as mid April is when quite a few colleges open their accomodation choices, and it would've been nice to participate.

However one of my offers, (we are full - go away) did turn up at 9.31pm on a Sunday night, so something might happen this w/e, and we can then finalise the applications. (I have both Plan 'B' and Plan 'C' in place, in case I don't get this my last offer)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending