The Student Room Group

My gf won't stop wearing the hijab for me

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TomPic
i don't think it should exist in western countries in 2019

I thought that liberals want anyone to be able to do anything they want in 2019 tho?
Reply 41
Original post by HasanQ585
I thought that liberals want anyone to be able to do anything they want in 2019 tho?

the hijab is sexist imo
the impression that you are making on all of us is that you’re not a good boyfriend at all and that you don’t really care about your girlfriend. Get a grip mate, she deserves better than you
Original post by TomPic
I don't see why a girl who has sex feels like she has to cover her hair
Original post by TomPic
Hi guys,
I've been in a relationship with a 19 year old girl for about 8 months, she's Muslim (I'm fine with that) and mixed race and gorgeous with an amazing personality and I really like her a lot.
The only issue is that she wears a hijab in 2019, she argues that I am being 'oppressive' by trying to get her to take it off as I believe she should be free. she insists its 'her choice' but we all know she's clearly been brainwashed and she's too nice to see through that. We had a major argument over this and she said that she's sick of western feminists and men like me trying to liberate her when she wears it as 'her choice' and out of 'love' for her religion. She called me an ignorant white boy and blocked me. Now I'm waiting for her to get over it and call me back, however, idk what to do in the long run? How can I convince her that its a sexist and ancient symbol of patriarchy.

she says a hijab is ' important to her religion' while dating a a kuffar out of wedlock ? she seems confused like many muslims. I bet she wears a ton of makeup and high heels too with that hijab

do some reading in her behalf and educate her a little -point out that nowhere in the quran is there a requirement to wear an actual hijab and all she is doing to man made medival construct purely as a visible protest against western society, its all a bit teenager-ish
Muslim women often view their hijab as a form of liberation, it is not a requirement of Islam and is instead a suggestion which is why many girls have the choice in whether or not they want to wear it. She's 19 meaning she is able to make her own choices and doesn't need someone else to make them for her. You should instead learn about her culture and try to understand where she's coming from
Original post by TomPic
Hi guys,
I've been in a relationship with a 19 year old girl for about 8 months, she's Muslim (I'm fine with that) and mixed race and gorgeous with an amazing personality and I really like her a lot.
The only issue is that she wears a hijab in 2019, she argues that I am being 'oppressive' by trying to get her to take it off as I believe she should be free. she insists its 'her choice' but we all know she's clearly been brainwashed and she's too nice to see through that. We had a major argument over this and she said that she's sick of western feminists and men like me trying to liberate her when she wears it as 'her choice' and out of 'love' for her religion. She called me an ignorant white boy and blocked me. Now I'm waiting for her to get over it and call me back, however, idk what to do in the long run? How can I convince her that its a sexist and ancient symbol of patriarchy.
Original post by TomPic
i don't think it should exist in western countries in 2019

You've got absolutely no consideration for her ability to make her own decisions. It seems like she's made it clear to you that wearing the hijab is HER CHOICE and you have no right to dictate to her what she can and cannot wear. If you are the feminist you claim to be, you should be advocating for your girlfriend's right to freely express her religion.
She has been brought up as a Muslim and has a very positive view of wearing the hijab, whereas your view is very narrow. You cannot possibly know more about her religious expression than she herself does.
Original post by TomPic
the hijab is sexist imo

How so?
You're arguing that she shouldn't wear it because other people make her do it and therefore that's oppression, but say you got her to stop wearing it, you've then made her do that and that's oppression. There's no way you come out of this positively without simply allowing her, as an adult, to make her own decision. The fact you want to 'educate' her is nothing more than condescending.
Reply 48
Original post by Chakede
she says a hijab is ' important to her religion' while dating a a kuffar out of wedlock ? she seems confused like many muslims. I bet she wears a ton of makeup and high heels too with that hijab

do some reading in her behalf and educate her a little -point out that nowhere in the quran is there a requirement to wear an actual hijab and all she is doing to man made medival construct purely as a visible protest against western society, its all a bit teenager-ish

she only started wearing it last year but I'd already liked her for about 3 years so I still asked her out
See this is what I mean, she has sex but can't show her hair in public doesn't add up, she must feel like she has to or something
0/10.
“she must feel like she has to or something” at this point it doesn’t even feel like you’ve tried to understand her point of view...
Original post by TomPic
she only started wearing it last year but I'd already liked her for about 3 years so I still asked her out
See this is what I mean, she has sex but can't show her hair in public doesn't add up, she must feel like she has to or something
Original post by TomPic

Religion is a personal journey. Many people from many different religions have adapted the way they follow religion so that it incorporates well into their daily lives. Almost nobody strictly follows every single teaching from their own religion. Her body is her own, and what she chooses to do with her body should be irrespective of your own personal view. If she wants to have sex, that is her choice and if she wants to wear the hijab, that is her choice.
Reply 52
This is either a poor troll thread or OP is an immature teenager. Maybe both
Reply 53
Original post by Ash2810
Religion is a personal journey. Many people from many different religions have adapted the way they follow religion so that it incorporates well into their daily lives. Almost nobody strictly follows every single teaching from their own religion. Her body is her own, and what she chooses to do with her body should be irrespective of your own personal view. If she wants to have sex, that is her choice and if she wants to wear the hijab, that is her choice.

don't see or agree with your point there
Original post by TomPic
don't see or agree with your point there

My point is that her hijab is none of your business. She's an adult and can make her own decisions. You are condescending and just as oppressive as those who force girls to wear a hijab. She broke up with you for the right reasons.
you almost got me there but definitely a troll. i aint never met a hijabi who sleeps around, its like a vegan who eats plant based but wears leather its one or the other not both
Reply 56
Original post by sfaraj
you almost got me there but definitely a troll. i aint never met a hijabi who sleeps around, its like a vegan who eats plant based but wears leather its one or the other not both

mate in London so many of them do are you mad
I don’t believe you. Next
Original post by TomPic
mate in London so many of them do are you mad

mate you've just had the pleasure of meeting one who doesnt and i can give you so many more who also dont

but it still makes no sense, i agree some muslims mess around because the want to fit in or whatever but why would she take everything else off and wear the hijab its like "yeah imma go to the beach and wear a bikini but keep my hijab on"
I absolutely understand your point of view, my parents were born in Iran and the law their is that they have to wear a hijab by force and pretty much no one wants to wear one. however she's been brought up is her lifestyle and you cannot change that. personally my parents are muslims but my mum has never worn a hijab as most iranian's don't like it as it's a symbol of patriarchy and it's a law from the 'arabs'. However it's her choice so you can't really do anything about it. I can understand your point of view as I don't agree with hijabs but let her be whatever she wants, don't try and change her. you could let her talk to someone or tell her how you feel but you can't force her to not wear it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending