The Student Room Group

A2 resits and university

Hello all, If I were to take a gap year and resit my A levels in order to achieve better grades, does anyone know if universities will accept these grades? Especially the top Russel group universities, e.g. the standard of Imperial, LSE, UCL, Durham, St Andrews, Oxbridge, etc

Without extenuating circumstances?
I imagine I will be disadvantaged but will it even be worth reapplying or will I just get a straight up rejection?
This would be for studying something like physics, for example, not a course as competitive as medicine or law.

What chance, if any, would I have? I am currently holding an offer to a top uni but I am absolutely certain that I have missed my offer due to how exams have gone and I do not want to go to my insurance choice. So realistically, what chance would I have if I resit and reapply? Will I just be better off going to my insurance?
Reply 1
I'm also in a similar position as you. I've had 2 of my first exams yesterday & I'm 100% certain I've ruined things for myself. I really want to get into my firm choice university which is a Russel Group university and I need to get a Distinction, A & a B. I've got 4 more exams in the next 2 weeks but I don't think I can save my grade even if I do really well in those. Each paper is worth 33.3% and I doubt getting 50-66.6% in my exams is going to allow me to get into university. I have an unconditional offer with my insurance university but I don't think I want to go there too. I've started thinking about resitting exams - I know I can do much better if I was given a second chance. I feel like I would be disappointing a lot of people including myself, teachers and my parents this time round.
(edited 4 years ago)
I’m in the same boat, after chemistry on Tuesday there’s no way I’m getting the ABB I need. Say I come out with ACD and want to re sit and apply for optometry for 2020 entry, will my application be considered. Mainly looking at Bradford

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending