The Student Room Group

What finance could I get for honours degree (mature student)?

I would like to study to honours level (and probably beyond). I previously did part-time study through the OU, leading to an un-named ordinary degree (no honours), over a diverse range of modules which did not prepare me for the course I now wish to take.

How can I find out what student finance I might be eligible for? I have tried filling in an online SF application for full-time study and it only asks about honours level qualifications, suggesting I am eligible for full funding, but I don't want to apply falsely if I am misunderstanding the application questions. Do SFE check previous qualifications/study to satisfy themselves that the application is correct? Can I just apply and know that, if I receive an offer of funding, I am definitely entitled to it?

I would prefer to study full-time, but would consider part-time if this is the only option to attract funding, as I do not have sufficient funds to self-finance. The subject area falls within STEM, if this is relevant.
Original post by Felicitis
I would like to study to honours level (and probably beyond). I previously did part-time study through the OU, leading to an un-named ordinary degree (no honours), over a diverse range of modules which did not prepare me for the course I now wish to take.

How can I find out what student finance I might be eligible for? I have tried filling in an online SF application for full-time study and it only asks about honours level qualifications, suggesting I am eligible for full funding, but I don't want to apply falsely if I am misunderstanding the application questions. Do SFE check previous qualifications/study to satisfy themselves that the application is correct? Can I just apply and know that, if I receive an offer of funding, I am definitely entitled to it?

I would prefer to study full-time, but would consider part-time if this is the only option to attract funding, as I do not have sufficient funds to self-finance. The subject area falls within STEM, if this is relevant.

Hi there,

If you gained a qualification from your part time study then this will be taken into account when calculating your future entitlement. What kind of course are you looking to undertake?

Thanks, Erin
Reply 2
Thanks Erin.

How do I find out what level of student finance I could be eligible for? Having never studied full-time, and having concluded my part-time studies before 2009, what I have read so far suggests I would qualify for full finance for a full-time course. How do I find out for certain?
Thanks Erin.

How do I find out what level of student finance I could be eligible for? Having never studied full-time, and having concluded my part-time studies before 2009, what I have read so far suggests I would qualify for full finance for a full-time course. How do I find out for certain?

Hi there,

We can check your eligibility for you. Can you please confirm the university/college and the full time course you are interested in?

Thanks, Ferne
I am in a similar situation and have not finished studying with the open university so no qualification gained as of yet, I was looking at changing to studying full time at Bath Spa University studying Biology (Conservation Biology) BSc (Hons). I am currently in receipt of SF just for 1 part-time year so far, could I transfer this over?
Original post by Marymol1990
I am in a similar situation and have not finished studying with the open university so no qualification gained as of yet, I was looking at changing to studying full time at Bath Spa University studying Biology (Conservation Biology) BSc (Hons). I am currently in receipt of SF just for 1 part-time year so far, could I transfer this over?

Hi there,

Is your current study with the Open University the only higher education course you have started? Do you hold any higher education qualifications at all?

Thanks, Ferne
Reply 6
Original post by Ferne SFE
Hi there,

We can check your eligibility for you. Can you please confirm the university/college and the full time course you are interested in?

Thanks, Ferne

Hi Ferne.

I am interested in Woodland Ecology at University of Cumbria.
Hi Felicitis,
You stated you qualified with an ordinary degree, this is a level 6 qualification.
You will not be eligible for funding for this course you mentioned below as this is an honours course and also level 6.

Ordinary and honours degrees are both level 6 qualifications. However, you can receive funding to top up from an ordinary to honours degree.

Thanks, Isaac.
Hi Ferne.

I am interested in Woodland Ecology at University of Cumbria.
Reply 8
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi Felicitis,
You stated you qualified with an ordinary degree, this is a level 6 qualification.
You will not be eligible for funding for this course you mentioned below as this is an honours course and also level 6.

Ordinary and honours degrees are both level 6 qualifications. However, you can receive funding to top up from an ordinary to honours degree.

Thanks, Isaac.

Can you give me more information on what funding is available to me then please? Also, is there somewhere that I can read the full rules on how the funding decision is made? I've been told and have read conflicting things. For instance, I was shown an official SFE form that said that my part-time distance study before 2009 meant I was still eligble for full funding for a full-time degree at a brick uni. Thanks
Hi Felicitis,
As you hold an Equivalent Level Qualification (ELQ) you wouldn't be eligible for any funding for the level 6 course Woodland Ecology at the University of Cumbria. You would be eligible for funding if you do a top up course.
Thanks, Isaac.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending