The Student Room Group

I cheated on my girlfriend but can’t tell her - advice needed

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Anonymous
For context, me and my girlfriend have been together for 2 years. It’s been perfect and I really do love her she’s cute, fun, caring and I would do anything for her. Sometimes she’s very insecure and lacks confident which she works on though.

Well, I’ve not gotten with anyone throughout the whole first year of uni and she did the same. We saw each other once every 2 weeks or so and messaged daily.

But last month we had a rather large row and I was just so mad at her and didn’t feel it. Another girl who I’ve always been attracted to and had a connection with spoke to me and picked me up and regrettably it did lead to a kiss and somehow sex.

The next morning I felt absolutely horrible and told the girl I couldn’t speak with her anymore as she knew I had a girlfriend. I’ve been weighing up everything in my head and feel even worse as I know my girlfriend would never do that to me.

I just can’t tell her as even though it wrecks my conscience, a) I really want to stay with her and love her and b) I know her self esteem and confidence would be absolutely destroyed and I don’t want or can’t have that.

How do I handle the situation especially since we’re meant to be going to Nice in 2 weeks.

And before you answer I do know I don’t deserve her and am a horrible person:frown:

You are not a horrible person. Just keep yiur mouth closed about it, go to Nice and carry on!
it’s always better to tell the truth, and maybe you can work it out? but to be quite honest w/ you, she deserves better. i think you both should move on. i don’t really understand what you mean by “somehow sex” because it’s not like you didn’t know what you were doing :confused: face the consequences for what you did.
For context, me and my girlfriend have been together for 2 years. It’s been perfect and I really do love her she’s cute, fun, caring and I would do anything for her. Sometimes she’s very insecure and lacks confident which she works on though.

Well, I’ve not gotten with anyone throughout the whole first year of uni and she did the same. We saw each other once every 2 weeks or so and messaged daily.

But last month we had a rather large row and I was just so mad at her and didn’t feel it. Another girl who I’ve always been attracted to and had a connection with spoke to me and picked me up and regrettably it did lead to a kiss and somehow sex.

The next morning I felt absolutely horrible and told the girl I couldn’t speak with her anymore as she knew I had a girlfriend. I’ve been weighing up everything in my head and feel even worse as I know my girlfriend would never do that to me.

I just can’t tell her as even though it wrecks my conscience, a) I really want to stay with her and love her and b) I know her self esteem and confidence would be absolutely destroyed and I don’t want or can’t have that.

How do I handle the situation especially since we’re meant to be going to Nice in 2 weeks.

And before you answer I do know I don’t deserve her and am a horrible person:frown:
people like u deserve coconuts thrown ur face
Reply 83

I told her I did love her and it was a mistake and she just wouldn’t stop crying and told me I knew she’d be heartbroken and really hurt if I did this but still did it anyway.

She then told me to leave and that’d she didn’t want to speak to me again.

I think your girlfriend's had a perfectly fair reaction to being told that you cheated on her and had sex with another woman instead of trying to sort things out after a row!

Did you include the part where you were prepared to lie and not tell her and came on TSR for advice?

What you do next is nothing. Don't contact her or her friends. And remember that if you ever have a relationship again - which will hopefully not be for at least another 20 years until you have grown up and matured - it requires communication, trust and love.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by Chloethet
Honestly same thing happened to me with my ex. He cheated on me like you and slept with someone else from tinder. I was completely devastated when I found out. He didn't tell me I found out. I was like feeling someone died i loved in my life suddenly. I can't still understand why he did this to me and why he could do this to me. I can't forgive him even i tried and still love him. Sometimes we all have that moment when we have to let ppl go. I think I can never forgive him. It's hurt but everything will be calm down and time will heal us. Yes sometimes it's hard to forgive and forget when the one we trusted most stabbed the back and they are the one who destroyed our trust issues. We will need to take time again to build our trust and be happy again.

Big hugs, Chloe!

You say you don't understand why he did this to you. Understand that it was nothing to do with you, and this is all on him. You could back and take apart the entire relationship and think about what you could have changed, but know that it would have made no difference. There are people like your ex and the OP who are flawed personalities and won't respond properly in a relationship, no matter how well you behave towards them.

These are very wise words and show you have a strong character and a lovely soul. There are many ways to live your life, and I hope you find happiness in future. :hugs:
The girl knew you had a gf? smh
Original post by Surnia
Big hugs, Chloe!

You say you don't understand why he did this to you. Understand that it was nothing to do with you, and this is all on him. You could back and take apart the entire relationship and think about what you could have changed, but know that it would have made no difference. There are people like your ex and the OP who are flawed personalities and won't respond properly in a relationship, no matter how well you behave towards them.

These are very wise words and show you have a strong character and a lovely soul. There are many ways to live your life, and I hope you find happiness in future. :hugs:

Thanks Surnia for your empathy. Yes I am still rebuilding myself and there were several times I hated myself. I was hurt enough I felt useless when he left me for another woman after they had a good time in my back. I am so scared of relationship stuff now cuz I got a lot of mental issues about relationship. I now want to focus only on good friendship and my dream jobs. It was a nightmare for me and now I should wake up
Any updates OP? Did she contact you again?
Reply 88
Original post by Surnia
I think your girlfriend's had a perfectly fair reaction to being told that you cheated on her and had sex with another woman instead of trying to sort things out after a row!

Did you include the part where you were prepared to lie and not tell her and came on TSR for advice?

What you do next is nothing. Don't contact her or her friends. And remember that if you ever have a relationship again - which will hopefully not be for at least another 20 years until you have grown up and matured - it requires communication, trust and love.

He should have kept his mouth shut instead of telling her
That seems like some heavy guilty conscience, you're going to feel a lot of that burden when you're with your girlfriend in Nice. Unfortunately all of these things teach a lesson. Honestly, being in your place - I'd feel very, very reluctant to tell my bf. That indeed is a difficult situation. I found this great quote that should be clear about what love is.
"Marriage isn't 'I promise to love you until I stop loving you'. It's 'I promise to make a concious decision to continue to love you even when it's hard because I'm aware no one is perfect, but you are worth it'".
Sorry mate, but if it was really true love, you wouldn't give into lust no matter how mad you were at your gf.
Reply 90
break up with her, she deserves better. and no you don't love her.
Original post by mgi
He should have kept his mouth shut instead of telling her

and heres hoping your future slu t of a girlfriend keeps her mouth shut when she constantly cheats on you.
Reply 92
and heres hoping your future slu t of a girlfriend keeps her mouth shut when she constantly cheats on you.

I wouldn't be bothered .
So I listened to everyone’s advice and decided to tell her last night as the guilt was getting to me.

When I told her, first she just shut off and didn’t say anything and about 5 minutes later she just wouldn’t stop crying. I tried to console her but she kept on just shouting “how could you do this to me?” and “I thought you loved me?” and stuff along those lines.

I told her I did love her and it was a mistake and she just wouldn’t stop crying and told me I knew she’d be heartbroken and really hurt if I did this but still did it anyway.

She then told me to leave and that’d she didn’t want to speak to me again.

I think she’ll come round and I hope she will if I’m persistent and talk to her friends but was she fair in how she reacted? And what do I do next?

This is quite odd as I have see the thread but didnt read it, Just had the pleasure of scanning through it now, lots of good advice and justified opinion. but this rather changes things.

1. I would have said keep it to yourself but live with the guilt and it would have gotten out anyway. You dont just have an argument and within hours are having sex with another person if you cared about someone the way you said you did. You arent being honest.

2. Not sure a lot of the advice was in your best interest but now you have told her you have to reap the whirlwind. You keep talking about not wanting to crush her, but it felt like it was more you not wanting to face up to her reaction. We all make mistakes, at least you dont have to hide.
I dont see her coming round and think you should split so she can get away from it, things would never be the same.

Do not be persistent and talk to her friends you will make it worse. Leave her alone for at least 2 years imo. If she wants to contact you she will.
You ask was she fair, which is just another sign of how deluded you are. What did you expect? You hurt and betrayed her.

I think you should leave her alone, learn from your error, take responsibility and move on.
Did she speak to you again OP? What of the trip to Nice?
Original post by mgi
I wouldn't be bothered .

lol cos you're a cuck
Reply 96
What's that? And what are you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending