The Student Room Group

phoning uni's for clearing

do you have to enter clearing to call uni's to ask if they have spaces available. I only have one specific uni i want to apply for in clearing so if they run out of spaces after i've left the uni i've currently got as my firm then I wont have a uni to go to. I'm still trying to figure out how clearing works. would it be okay to phone the uni, ask if they have spaces and then enter clearing just to be safe.
Original post by Hwelch1991
do you have to enter clearing to call uni's to ask if they have spaces available. I only have one specific uni i want to apply for in clearing so if they run out of spaces after i've left the uni i've currently got as my firm then I wont have a uni to go to. I'm still trying to figure out how clearing works. would it be okay to phone the uni, ask if they have spaces and then enter clearing just to be safe.

You can’t add a clearing choice in Track before 3pm so you have between getting your exam results and then to phone round universities.

Call the uni you’re interested in the moment you have your results (if you meet their entry criteria) and see if they’ll accept you. You’ll need to explain that you still hold a space.

If you current firm has confirmed you and your place is unconditional you can release yourself into clearing and you’ll have a clearing number.

If I was you I wouldn’t go into clearing until you have a verbal offer. Take their name and details and once you’ve released into clearing confirm with them directly before 3pm.

Yes, give them a call to see if they have spaces :smile: They won't be able to give you an offer until you have a clearing number but they will able to let you know if they have places available.

Which uni are you thinking of applying to?
Reply 3
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Yes, give them a call to see if they have spaces :smile: They won't be able to give you an offer until you have a clearing number but they will able to let you know if they have places available.

Which uni are you thinking of applying to?

i wanted to do law at the UEA. i went to the open day and it was such a nice campus and course. its also close to home and I know i would feel so much better going there than the one that is my firm currently
Reply 4
Original post by She-Ra
You can’t add a clearing choice in Track before 3pm so you have between getting your exam results and then to phone round universities.

Call the uni you’re interested in the moment you have your results (if you meet their entry criteria) and see if they’ll accept you. You’ll need to explain that you still hold a space.

If you current firm has confirmed you and your place is unconditional you can release yourself into clearing and you’ll have a clearing number.

If I was you I wouldn’t go into clearing until you have a verbal offer. Take their name and details and once you’ve released into clearing confirm with them directly before 3pm.

thank you so much for the reply. ill call them as soon as i get my results (which hopefully are close to their entry requirements). my college doesn't release our results until 9am - is this too late. would I take the name and details of the person from the uni i want to go to/asking if they have spaces. (sorry for the silly question). can they go back on verbal offers?
Reply 5
Original post by She-Ra

sorry to ask loads of questions but i just read that being released can take up to 2 days on TSR, is this true. I have an unconditional offer atm so would have to call the uni tomorrow and asked to be released. if this takes 2 days then surely the place in clearing would have gone. i'm now really worried
thank you so much for the reply. ill call them as soon as i get my results (which hopefully are close to their entry requirements). my college doesn't release our results until 9am - is this too late. would I take the name and details of the person from the uni i want to go to/asking if they have spaces. (sorry for the silly question). can they go back on verbal offers?

In would take the name and details of the person.

It is very unlikely a uni would give you a verbal offer in error.

This year you can release yourself into Clearing using the decline my place button so there won't be a wait :smile:

Ring UEA tomorrow when you have your results, see if they have places available and if they'd be likely to accept you. If they would then you can release yourself into Clearing, once you have your Clearing number get back in touch with them - they can then give you a verbal offer so you can add them as a clearing choice when it opens at 3pm.
sorry to ask loads of questions but i just read that being released can take up to 2 days on TSR, is this true. I have an unconditional offer atm so would have to call the uni tomorrow and asked to be released. if this takes 2 days then surely the place in clearing would have gone. i'm now really worried

Puddles advice below is great - does this all make sense? Let us know if you need anything today? :heart:
Hi @Hwelch1991, definitely give us a call if you haven't already! The number is: 44 (0) 300 300 7994, you can also chat to us on live chat too! https://www2.uea.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/clearing-and-adjustment

Did everything work out ok for you? :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending