The Student Room Group

Is he abusive/toxic?

First of all sorry for my language, English is not my mother tongue.I would like to ask for advice to see other people's point of view about my relationship.My boyfriend and I are coming from two different countries but he has moved to my city because he is going to school there.My boyfriend has a temperament. On one hand I see him as a loyal and committed but on the other hand I can't stand his comments about me. He told me already many things that hurted me and he claims everytime, that it's just the way it is. He can tell me I smell bad, that my breath stinks, that I shouldn't wear those shoes with this skirt, that I have dirt under my nails, that I haven't shaved properly, that I should eat with my hands on the table. The truth is that he wasn't trying to be mean I know, but I would never say anything like that to person I know for such a short period of time. Everytime I visit him I'm stressed about things I do in order not to get critisims. He can get angry because I'm washing the dishes in a way he doesn't like or that I put salt in a wrong place. He is losing his temper easily. I was even thinking to myself that I'm overthinking a lot, that I'm not feeling secure to do the things because I'm scared he will say I do it wrong. Even making a salad is a big deal for me now.He is very fierce while arguing. I have the feeling that I'm not enough for him, he didn't even post any picture with us even though we are 1 year in a relationship. I feel like everything I do I do wrong. He tells me that I'm slow, that I do everything 2 hours late. He is lauging at me that I don't use apps, that I use headphones with cable, that I'm not modern at all. He laughs when I stuble when I walk ( he tries to be nice but it's not nice for me). He tells me those things make me special, but he laughs ... Last time he made a big drama cause I took small towel from bathroom, not big one and he told me I don't take care about myself. He can comment on my make up, on clotes he doesn't like and so on. He already sent me pics of some girls 2 or 3 times and he said " You would look great on it, you should buy outfit like this". When he tells me something and I don't hear it or I don't understand then for second time when he tells me I can feel he is angry. Even when we were making pasta and I wasn't pouring flower "well" he got angry. Few days ago I wanted him to eat ice-cream so I told him that I dont want them. I told him that I want him to eat ice-cream because he had free coupon for this. He told me Im stupid which hurted me a lot. Then he wasn't talking to me 2 days straight and in the end I said I'm sorry to him, even though I know it was a tiny thing and he made it big. He was so cold then, even when I asked for help with routher of the Internet he took it from my hand quite aggresively. I know he wanted good for me and I appreciate it , but the way he is communicating makes me sad. After I said sorry he said he is giving me everything, the best he can and I'm telling him only lies (about fuc***** ice-cream ... ?! ). He really gets upset over small things.I'm scared to make him angry so I tiptoe around him. His mood changes easily, even during the day. I can really feel his mood swifngs. I just came back from 4days trip with him and I was so stressed. We crashed a car and he told me it was my fault cause I didn't give him good enough advice where we should go. Of course then I admitted it was my fault, don't know why. He makes me feel guilty I guess.He is having a great job that is very improtant and well-paid, I feel he wants me to be a perfect doll and he wants to change me. I feel like he wants a woman that he can show off and I'm not one, I'm a simple girl. I can say he likes elegant girls that have money, he likes money and living on high standard. That's why I didn't ask him to meet my paretns, we have a small flat and he was alrady saying that this type of building we live ( he doesn't know we do yet) in is comunist and terrible. He doesn't repect my religion since I'm a catholic and he laughs at priests and religions. I have the feeling that he despises people from my country. When we had a trip to his mother country he said " You see? That's what 1st world country looks like".I cry a lot when I think about it but on the other hand I'm still with him since I see good in him. He is checking up on me, taking me for the trips (we pay 50/50 for everything tho, but I always feel I owe him something), he told his family about me, he showed me to his friends. I know it's difficult to find someone loyal these days and sometimes I want to stay. But then I meet him and this all begins again. I can't imagine living with him, I feel so little when I'm with him. I know I'm sensitive, maybe too sensitive and for him maybe it's not a big deal but I'm waiting everytime for him to tell me off... He tells me I just don't know what to think. He makes me feel bad about myself. I tried to talk with him but it's his way of seeing the world and it's his personality, it is impossible to change it since his father is the same as him and it seems like his father is the only person he respects...What do you guys think? Thank you for reading and your adivce <3
Yeah he's toxic
I don't know how you put up with his behaviour
Original post by Anonymous
First of all sorry for my language, English is not my mother tongue.I would like to ask for advice to see other people's point of view about my relationship.My boyfriend and I are coming from two different countries but he has moved to my city because he is going to school there.My boyfriend has a temperament. On one hand I see him as a loyal and committed but on the other hand I can't stand his comments about me. He told me already many things that hurted me and he claims everytime, that it's just the way it is. He can tell me I smell bad, that my breath stinks, that I shouldn't wear those shoes with this skirt, that I have dirt under my nails, that I haven't shaved properly, that I should eat with my hands on the table. The truth is that he wasn't trying to be mean I know, but I would never say anything like that to person I know for such a short period of time. Everytime I visit him I'm stressed about things I do in order not to get critisims. He can get angry because I'm washing the dishes in a way he doesn't like or that I put salt in a wrong place. He is losing his temper easily. I was even thinking to myself that I'm overthinking a lot, that I'm not feeling secure to do the things because I'm scared he will say I do it wrong. Even making a salad is a big deal for me now.He is very fierce while arguing. I have the feeling that I'm not enough for him, he didn't even post any picture with us even though we are 1 year in a relationship. I feel like everything I do I do wrong. He tells me that I'm slow, that I do everything 2 hours late. He is lauging at me that I don't use apps, that I use headphones with cable, that I'm not modern at all. He laughs when I stuble when I walk ( he tries to be nice but it's not nice for me). He tells me those things make me special, but he laughs ... Last time he made a big drama cause I took small towel from bathroom, not big one and he told me I don't take care about myself. He can comment on my make up, on clotes he doesn't like and so on. He already sent me pics of some girls 2 or 3 times and he said " You would look great on it, you should buy outfit like this". When he tells me something and I don't hear it or I don't understand then for second time when he tells me I can feel he is angry. Even when we were making pasta and I wasn't pouring flower "well" he got angry. Few days ago I wanted him to eat ice-cream so I told him that I dont want them. I told him that I want him to eat ice-cream because he had free coupon for this. He told me Im stupid which hurted me a lot. Then he wasn't talking to me 2 days straight and in the end I said I'm sorry to him, even though I know it was a tiny thing and he made it big. He was so cold then, even when I asked for help with routher of the Internet he took it from my hand quite aggresively. I know he wanted good for me and I appreciate it , but the way he is communicating makes me sad. After I said sorry he said he is giving me everything, the best he can and I'm telling him only lies (about fuc***** ice-cream ... ?! ). He really gets upset over small things.I'm scared to make him angry so I tiptoe around him. His mood changes easily, even during the day. I can really feel his mood swifngs. I just came back from 4days trip with him and I was so stressed. We crashed a car and he told me it was my fault cause I didn't give him good enough advice where we should go. Of course then I admitted it was my fault, don't know why. He makes me feel guilty I guess.He is having a great job that is very improtant and well-paid, I feel he wants me to be a perfect doll and he wants to change me. I feel like he wants a woman that he can show off and I'm not one, I'm a simple girl. I can say he likes elegant girls that have money, he likes money and living on high standard. That's why I didn't ask him to meet my paretns, we have a small flat and he was alrady saying that this type of building we live ( he doesn't know we do yet) in is comunist and terrible. He doesn't repect my religion since I'm a catholic and he laughs at priests and religions. I have the feeling that he despises people from my country. When we had a trip to his mother country he said " You see? That's what 1st world country looks like".I cry a lot when I think about it but on the other hand I'm still with him since I see good in him. He is checking up on me, taking me for the trips (we pay 50/50 for everything tho, but I always feel I owe him something), he told his family about me, he showed me to his friends. I know it's difficult to find someone loyal these days and sometimes I want to stay. But then I meet him and this all begins again. I can't imagine living with him, I feel so little when I'm with him. I know I'm sensitive, maybe too sensitive and for him maybe it's not a big deal but I'm waiting everytime for him to tell me off... He tells me I just don't know what to think. He makes me feel bad about myself. I tried to talk with him but it's his way of seeing the world and it's his personality, it is impossible to change it since his father is the same as him and it seems like his father is the only person he respects...What do you guys think? Thank you for reading and your adivce <3

Yes, he's abusive and you should leave. It's not normal to insult your partner and blame them for things that they obviously didn't do. Get out while you can.
...that I haven't shaved properly,

Wait, are you a guy or a girl?

PS. Paragraphs help.
Wait, are you a guy or a girl?

PS. Paragraphs help.

uhhh... their gender is irrelevant o.o

and @ OP, yes he's abusive. please get out of the relationship/seek help
He sounds horrible I don't know why your still with him !!
About the first 20 lines into your post and he sounds vile already. What you describe is psychological abuse; physical abuse often follows soon after. Run a mile before it gets worse.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending