The Student Room Group

Torn between a creative degree and an academic degree?

I need to decide what degree to study and I'm just stuck. My head is telling me to do something academic, something respected and something that will get me a "decent" job at the end of it. I got 3 A*s in my A Levels, so I feel like this is the route I'm expected to take. And I feel like if I didn't go to a Russell Group university and do a good, respectable degree then it would be a waste of everything I've worked so hard for.

There's just another part of me which loves art and creating things... Just being creative in general. I like being practical, making things, and I love digital art like Photoshop. I feel like it's a head vs heart scenario - this is what I love doing. I'm currently doing an art foundation course to try and figure things out and I'm enjoying it so much. But my head is telling me that I'd be stupid to do a creative degree, wasting my grades.

What do I do?
Academic route and creative clubs and societies?
its not success if youre not happy. If i were you i would choose an art degree, but also use your good grades to your advantage, look at the top unis in the UK - id be thinking oxford and cambridge with your grades- and see what they could offer you. dont feel like your have to choose between the worlds standard of success and your dreams. Always do what makes you happy, but be smart about it.
Original post by Amethyst12
I need to decide what degree to study and I'm just stuck. My head is telling me to do something academic, something respected and something that will get me a "decent" job at the end of it. I got 3 A*s in my A Levels, so I feel like this is the route I'm expected to take. And I feel like if I didn't go to a Russell Group university and do a good, respectable degree then it would be a waste of everything I've worked so hard for.

There's just another part of me which loves art and creating things... Just being creative in general. I like being practical, making things, and I love digital art like Photoshop. I feel like it's a head vs heart scenario - this is what I love doing. I'm currently doing an art foundation course to try and figure things out and I'm enjoying it so much. But my head is telling me that I'd be stupid to do a creative degree, wasting my grades.

What do I do?

You could do a combined degree? That way you can get the best of both worlds, and depending on the uni, you can modify your degree for the next year if you aren't happy. For example, uni of sussex allows you to choose a course and then add another module of your choice to that course.. I'm not speaking from my own experience though, this is from my sister. Hope this helps anyway.
As an art grad, I feel I felt this for a long time. I was struggling between science and art as a degree. But I weigh my options and felt I would be a lot more dedicated to the arts I’m a long run, I’ll go back to science at a later date. For stability wise, I plan on doing a pgce [ teaching course] as college teachers in high demand in my area. As a back up as I want to go into film/animation based work eventually. So I pretty much will have 2 creative degrees and a academic one. Think it works that way with other sectors. You can always look for postgrad requirements for both.

But I do say art isn’t for everyone, we had so many drop outs from people who couldn’t decide on what course. It’s about, do what you love but also think realistically can you do 3 years or constant study on it AND go into a job of it in the future. Other than that it’s also as you willing to travel for a job if there are non in your sector {start saving as soon as possible}.

On the other hand if you think you can gain a good understand without uni of the arts. Simply do that on the side of an academic course. For me that wouldn’t have worked from the sort of person I am, also I learned so much there that and made so many connection I could have never learned online .

So yea it depends what’s more important also to you, a degree dose not guarantee a job no matter the field, but it dose give you access to those areas. Also the option of doing part time on one area while full time on another, or self study.
Good luck ! It’s a tricky task to pick between heart and brain in area like these. But personally I know I can go back to do science in the future once I have a stable job or in a stable position to allow me to do it.
(edited 4 years ago)
What are your career ambitions?
You can do an academic undergrad degree, then a creative art based postgrad.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by thatsgrape
its not success if youre not happy. If i were you i would choose an art degree, but also use your good grades to your advantage, look at the top unis in the UK - id be thinking oxford and cambridge with your grades- and see what they could offer you. dont feel like your have to choose between the worlds standard of success and your dreams. Always do what makes you happy, but be smart about it.

That's the thing, Oxford and Cambridge are so academic and don't offer creative degrees - just Fine Art in Oxford, but I've heard the course is meant to be very traditional and theoretical. I guess that's what I'm struggling with - accepting that I can't go to these top unis if I follow my passion.
Reply 7
Original post by XKangaotiCX
You could do a combined degree? That way you can get the best of both worlds, and depending on the uni, you can modify your degree for the next year if you aren't happy. For example, uni of sussex allows you to choose a course and then add another module of your choice to that course.. I'm not speaking from my own experience though, this is from my sister. Hope this helps anyway.

Thanks for the advice, I'll take a look at that!
Reply 8
Original post by londonmyst
What are your career ambitions?
You can do an academic undergrad degree, then a creative art based postgrad.

I honestly have no idea what I want to do! I see myself doing something creative, but then I feel like an academic degree would give me more choice and security if that makes sense? But that is something that I'm considering - doing an creative post grad.
If you’re loving your art foundation that’s a pretty clear message.

Creative degrees can include as much theory as you want. Critical theory, art history, semiotics, etc etc etc. You can absolutely include academic studies as part of your art practice.

Are you heading towards a specific pathway in your foundation? Fine art is fairly well represented at Russell Group/similar universities if you want that brand name. Graphics and design and fashion is available at one or two places. Or if you want your cake and eat it - check out Edinburgh College of Art. Classic art school within a Russell Group university (with a real range of courses not just the fuddy duddy Ruskin/Slade fine art offering!).

Orrrrr have you thought about/looked into architecture? There’s a lot of architecture provision within big/old universities as well as art schools. And the structure of it means you can walk away after a BA and do something else completely, it’s widely recognised outside creative industry etc.
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
If you’re loving your art foundation that’s a pretty clear message.

Creative degrees can include as much theory as you want. Critical theory, art history, semiotics, etc etc etc. You can absolutely include academic studies as part of your art practice.

Are you heading towards a specific pathway in your foundation? Fine art is fairly well represented at Russell Group/similar universities if you want that brand name. Graphics and design and fashion is available at one or two places. Or if you want your cake and eat it - check out Edinburgh College of Art. Classic art school within a Russell Group university (with a real range of courses not just the fuddy duddy Ruskin/Slade fine art offering!).

Orrrrr have you thought about/looked into architecture? There’s a lot of architecture provision within big/old universities as well as art schools. And the structure of it means you can walk away after a BA and do something else completely, it’s widely recognised outside creative industry etc.

We decide in November which pathway to take - I haven't made any decisions yet, I'm loving it all! Edinburgh College of Art sounds great, but Scotland is a little far for me - literally about 8-10 hours away! I've tried thinking about Architecture as I've heard it's a good way to combine academics and creativity but I think it's more maths/science orientated whereas I'm more of an English and humanities person. But I do find the lack of creative courses available in the Russell Group quite disappointing!
Original post by Amethyst12
We decide in November which pathway to take - I haven't made any decisions yet, I'm loving it all! Edinburgh College of Art sounds great, but Scotland is a little far for me - literally about 8-10 hours away! I've tried thinking about Architecture as I've heard it's a good way to combine academics and creativity but I think it's more maths/science orientated whereas I'm more of an English and humanities person. But I do find the lack of creative courses available in the Russell Group quite disappointing!

Architecture is a design based degree and career. There’s no maths more complicated than GCSE level (although there are a few architecture degrees that are taught within engineering departments that tend towards the moe technical the VAST majority of architecture degrees are focused on design, creativity and problem solving). The fact that the general public *think* it’s stem-y is a massive misconception but something you can exploit if you want a degree that’s creative but respected and available at Russell Group and similar universities.

Are you based in London? If so are you going to create your future from ucas at the excel next week? That would be a good way to get more of a feel for the range of creative degrees available.
Reply 12
Original post by PQ
Architecture is a design based degree and career. There’s no maths more complicated than GCSE level (although there are a few architecture degrees that are taught within engineering departments that tend towards the moe technical the VAST majority of architecture degrees are focused on design, creativity and problem solving). The fact that the general public *think* it’s stem-y is a massive misconception but something you can exploit if you want a degree that’s creative but respected and available at Russell Group and similar universities.

Are you based in London? If so are you going to create your future from ucas at the excel next week? That would be a good way to get more of a feel for the range of creative degrees available.

Wow, thanks for the information! I'll definitely look into Architecture more as the way you've described it actually sounds ideal for me.

I'm not based in London, but I'll take a look at that and see if I'll be able to get there for it as it sounds like a really good opportunity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending