The Student Room Group

Should I go to my uni society social event alone?

I thought I would join a society during freshers week and their first welcome event is a pub crawl. I don’t really drink, don’t have anyone to go with and don’t know anyone going. I would like to go to see what it’s like but I’m worried about being there by myself as I feel as though others won’t be going alone. Is it strange to go to one of these social events alone? Should I still go despite being by myself?
Reply 1
It's their first event, there'll be plenty of other people there alone
just GO, if it is that awkward you could always say you're going to the toilet or something and leave early

you regret the things u don't do...
Original post by Anonymous
I thought I would join a society during freshers week and their first welcome event is a pub crawl. I don’t really drink, don’t have anyone to go with and don’t know anyone going. I would like to go to see what it’s like but I’m worried about being there by myself as I feel as though others won’t be going alone. Is it strange to go to one of these social events alone? Should I still go despite being by myself?

Virtually everyone 'goes alone' to these things, very few students will have paired up by now. It's entirely normal to go to student things by yourself and just join in when you get there. There will almost certainly be other people there not drinking, but if everyone gets too drunk for you to be comfortable with, just leave. The one good thing about being out with drunks is they never remember what went on the next morning. You can just get up and walk out and they'll be none the wiser!
If it helps I’ve been to events before alone and have managed to sneak out earlier without people noticing like I went to this trampoline society social once and just left as soon as I ended up at the club and not one person mentioned it the next time I went to the training session...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending