The Student Room Group

Should I ask for the day off work?

So I am on a 4 week trial for a bakery business.

My role involves working at the local market, trying to attract customers to our stall, selling and serving to customers, preparing samples for customers and preparing food for customers (for example we have a savoury food section where I often heat up the food and cut it into manageable portions)

Thing is I have a cold that's producing yellow/green mucus when a blow my nose, unpredictable sneezing and runny nose as is often the case with a cold, and a sore throat.

I'm really nervous to ask for the day off tomorrow but I think i maybe should.
What do you guys think?
Reply 1
If you're working around food, is it really a good idea to go in if you're ill? It depends on the company but is there anyone you could switch shifts with (companies prefer this to someone not covering the shift)?
I'd pretty much just explain and ask their stance. You're not UNABLE to come to work, but you're obviously concerned about how your streaming, honking face is going to cause issues in a customer facing role handling their food.
Any food business will have strict requirements of you a about not coming to work when I’ll. so call them as soon as possible. The less time you give them to arrange a replacement the more that’ll reflect badly on you.
Reply 4
Original post by irishninja
So I am on a 4 week trial for a bakery business.

My role involves working at the local market, trying to attract customers to our stall, selling and serving to customers, preparing samples for customers and preparing food for customers (for example we have a savoury food section where I often heat up the food and cut it into manageable portions)

Thing is I have a cold that's producing yellow/green mucus when a blow my nose, unpredictable sneezing and runny nose as is often the case with a cold, and a sore throat.

I'm really nervous to ask for the day off tomorrow but I think i maybe should.
What do you guys think?

Ask your boss and that way he/she will make the decision for you. But make sure you say.. "I am actually thinking of the interest of the business..I dont want to be off work".
Original post by StriderHort
I'd pretty much just explain and ask their stance. You're not UNABLE to come to work, but you're obviously concerned about how your streaming, honking face is going to cause issues in a customer facing role handling their food.

I agree.
Or maybe swap shifts with someone.
I think u should, because you could get nasty germs in other people's food.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending