The Student Room Group

I can't find a job and it is highly depressing me!

I can't find a job and it is highly depressing me!

I really don't want to go on benefits, but I feel so let down by the lack of help! It is strange how they are so eager to help me go on benefits, but not helpful at all in finding a job.

I have a great CV, good A-levels, yet my lack of experience means I am unsuitable to employ :frown:

Sorry, just needed to rant!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is there a tesco near you?
Reply 2
Are you looking for a summer job?

www.gumtree.co.uk
Reply 3
No, looking for full time job.
Eeek, bad time for finding a job, even more so with more economic gloom on the way :frown: What A-levels have you got, what kind of job?
Reply 5
h82think
No, looking for full time job.

aww im in a similar situation myself! totally know how you feel- its very frustrating. what type of jobs are u looking for? im trying to look for office jobs and am trying to overcome the whole no experience thing by looking for office junior positions as they seem to say no experience necessary. altho i've heard nothing back yet.

am going to the job centre tomoro to register for benefits (altho similar to u, i really don't want to)

anyway :hugs: best of luck with everything!
Reply 6
I can't seem to get a work placement or a summer job.
Despite getting a 2:1 for my 1st year result (including two modules in which I got 1sts).
I guess I do not qualify for anything above factory work :rolleyes:
i'm in exactly the same position as you. even got rejected from tesco!! i've been looking since my may exams as well..
Reply 8
I am looking for anything, but like erica123 I'd like an office job.

I keep applying in the hopes I hear back from someone. I keep wanting to get back into bed and hide under my duvet :frown:
Reply 9
Have you tried registering at a temping agency ?
Agree with ttx, why not get some temp work to put on your CV as experience or get some work experience in your chosen field?
Quady
Is there a tesco near you?

only if you know someone working there will you get hired.
Reply 12
I also know how you feel...i have been trying to get a job for 5 months now and have had nooo luck. I have just totally given up...the job centre was useless and did not help at all.

I think i may wait untill after the summer when most of the students go back to college and uni and have left their jobs. Then there will be lots of jobs on offer. You can do that aswell if you dont mind waiting a little longer:smile:
Reply 13
You guys can always look for a job outside the UK
Thank god I have finally found some other people who understand my situation!!! I cannot get a job no matter how much I try! Been trying all through my final year, i got a 1st class degree, and keep getting interviews, but no job.

I think it is an unlucky time to graduate this year. It is seriously depressing that I cant even get temp jobs at agencies at the moment.. !

I'm fed up of employers saying they want experience, experience, experience..... what do they expect from graduates!? lol... i even have 2 years part time experience in my field... apparently not enough!

I understand how you feel totally!
Reply 15
elizabeth27
Thank god I have finally found some other people who understand my situation!!! I cannot get a job no matter how much I try! Been trying all through my final year, i got a 1st class degree, and keep getting interviews, but no job.

The fact that you're getting to interviews suggests it's not your experience that's letting you down, but rather how you interview. Assuming your CV's not misleading you've already jumped the first hurdle when they decided to interview you, if they thought you didn't have enough experience you wouldn't have even got an interview.

Maybe you should use your uni career service to setup some practice interviews to see if they can help you identify your weaknesses ?
Reply 16
Normaly the interviewr can also give feedback
ttx
The fact that you're getting to interviews suggests it's not your experience that's letting you down, but rather how you interview. Assuming your CV's not misleading you've already jumped the first hurdle when they decided to interview you, if they thought you didn't have enough experience you wouldn't have even got an interview.

Maybe you should use your uni career service to setup some practice interviews to see if they can help you identify your weaknesses ?

On most occasions my feedback has really been excellent, even been told they wanted to employ me, but there has always been someone with slightly more experience than me most of the time, and that is their reason for not employing me.
Have a go at re-writing your CV paying attention to any experiences you have that are relevant to the jobs you are applying for.

Start by making a list of the experience you think the employers are after, then note the examples of when you have done that sort of thing (via work experience, school, membership of clubs, DofE, travel, hobbies etc). Then re-write your CV with the focus on Experience/Skills rather than the more traditional focus on Education and that often limp section at the end on Hobbies.

If you can't do that then presumably you don't have the experience necessary for the jobs you are applying for. To which the answer is easy, apply for a job you have the experience for, or get some experience!
So thought i'd update, i finally have a job of some sort! lol. Just as I was about to give up!

Latest

Trending

Trending